Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band = Greatest American rock and roll band?

GeminiCy

Jan 8, 2011
The Boss definitely goes on the same love-hate list as The Dead and Jimmy Buffet, to name two others.
You know, where 50% say it's the greatest thing to come down the pike and the other 50% say, "What is this *****?".
Springsteen and the Dead were better live. I was more into British rock bands growing up, and didn’t give a great deal of thought to either, though I didn’t dislike their music. There was just a lot of other music I liked better.

I saw Springsteen in Ames though and it was a great party, really rocked Hilton.

The Grateful Dead I finally went to see 4 or 5 times, and understood why friends were so much into it. They were better live because of the improvisation aspect to their music, but also because of the live-and-let-live attitude that was their lifestyle, an attitude more here probably share than they realize. For the Dead it wasn’t just about drugs. It was more about a positive attitude towards others and life in general. It was a great party, and a great feeling that can last long after the concert. Good times.

The lyrics to Ripple echo not just Psalms but other parts of the Bible:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=671AgW9xSiA]YouTube - ‪The Grateful Dead - Ripple (Studio Version)‬‏[/ame]

Ripple Lyrics - Grateful Dead

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I like your style. I think if Morrison hadn't cut himself down with drugs, they would have been much bigger than they were. I got into a huge Doors kick during college when I lived in a house with an old turntable in it. Went to a thrift shop and bought a whole bunch of old albums.

CCR has got to be near the top of any American Band list. What about the Jimi Hendrix experience, that count as a band?

Numbers wise (I Googled it to see who the top selling American band was), the Eagles are top...which makes me gag. How about Aerosmith? Their early stuff rocked pretty hard and IMO they are pretty influential. Van Halen or even Metallica. To say that Metallica has not influenced modern hard rock, you would be a dope. I hate their egos and their attitudes, but they are pretty solid.

We know how silly it would be to deny the drug influence of sixty's rock and roll but Morrison, at his core, was just a garden variety drunken Irishman.

H

Hugs4ISU

Oh, hell no, I have ALWAYS despised Bruce Springsteen, and always will.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Total thread revival here, but I like many of the bands mentioned but not Bruce. I could never, ever get into him. Honestly I'd put Guns 'n' Roses in my top 5 though. I love that band.

Maplewurst

Apr 6, 2011
trailer down by the river
Al .... this makes me want to get into a VW bus and drive to upstate NY and live in a hippie commune LMFAO !!!.... so glad you reminded....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf9-BCix4io]‪The Black Crowes - Oh Sweet Nuthin'‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

.... and here is another.... saw these dudes in 94-95 era.... one of the best concerts I have ever seen .... and Ive been around for awhile before that....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtE9dU1fiRI&feature=related]‪Space Captain - The Black Crowes‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Maplewurst

Apr 6, 2011
Springsteen and the Dead were better live. I was more into British rock bands growing up, and didn’t give a great deal of thought to either, though I didn’t dislike their music. There was just a lot of other music I liked better.

I saw Springsteen in Ames though and it was a great party, really rocked Hilton.

The Grateful Dead I finally went to see 4 or 5 times, and understood why friends were so much into it. They were better live because of the improvisation aspect to their music, but also because of the live-and-let-live attitude that was their lifestyle, an attitude more here probably share than they realize. For the Dead it wasn’t just about drugs. It was more about a positive attitude towards others and life in general. It was a great party, and a great feeling that can last long after the concert. Good times.

YouTube - ‪The Grateful Dead - Ripple (Studio Version)‬‏

1983 ??? was there too ifn... would rather listen to Dead though... saw them and Santana at Red Rocks about same era.... made contengecy plan to meet back up with cousins 2 days later in Loveland HHHAAA HHHAAAAA HHHAAAA !!!!:spinny:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

YouTube - ‪The Grateful Dead - Ripple (Studio Version)‬‏

I was listening to Born To Run with my old man this weekend and he said the same thing. Would have been a great show. Too bad I'll never see them with Big Man on the horns.

Maplewurst

Apr 6, 2011
I was listening to Born To Run with my old man this weekend and he said the same thing. Would have been a great show. Too bad I'll never see them with Big Man on the horns.

... I thought Clarence was the best part of the show... people were doing the Conga line around concourse of Hilton..... :smile::spinny::smile: ...LIFE WAS GOOD !!!!

... Nebraska Album though... kind of wants to make you blow your brains out though... hince "Nebraska"... most suicidal albums of life....:eek:

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
This is a joke post right? I mean, youre joking with this whole "his lyrics come from him doing drugs" right? I'm reminded of the intro to Third Eye by TOOL, a Bill Hicks snippit:

"See, I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do. And if you don’t believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor: go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your cd’s and burn em’. 'Cause you know what? The musicians who’ve made all that great music that’s enhanced your lives throughout the years...Rrrrrrrrrrrrreal ------ high on drugs"

Come on man, most of the bands people are listing are bands from the 60s and 70s...heck, I dont care what decade they were in, music is influenced by drugs.

Bill Hicks = Greatest of all time.

Maplewurst

Apr 6, 2011
dude...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2IL0iAGgX0"]‪Rolling Stones - Loving Cup - Montreux '72‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

iowa /iowa state game... bloody mary mammaries....:spinny:... spark it up dude.... actually saw Matt Blair rip the shreds of muscle off people... Carry On !!!

Last edited:

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
What about:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875bfgkCCGc&feature=related]‪Michael McDonald 1993-Yah Mo B There (4 of 12)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Just asking