Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band = Greatest American rock and roll band?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Al, you are probably correct in the Crowes assessment. I just thought they could have done so much more after the first two albums. Granted the industry has changed so much since they came on the scene and has really became fragmented. Fortunately for them the classic album rock stations play their tunes so they have some mailbox money to keep them going.

The relentless touring didn't hurt either. I think they really pulled a Pearl Jam, and just said "to hell with it, we're making the music we want to make. If you're on board, you're on board." Their popularity (and overall impact) slipped, but I don't think the quality did.

However, when you're doing a "greatest" list, popularity and impact have to be considered. At least in my humble opinion.

I hear what you're saying, but I think you'd be surprised at the number of bands that have taken cues from Pavement. They were one of those bands that you couldn't really categorize or pigeonhole into any genre. They kind of made their own rules as they went and had a sound that others couldn't really replicate, which which set them apart from most great bands of the 90s.

I know Pavement's influence has been pretty wide, it just kind of seems that all the bands that were influenced by Pavement have gone on to be just as much, if not more, of "niche" bands than Pavement (save maybe Weezer). I think the measure of a band who isn't popular but has a huge influence is whether or not the bands taking their cues from them achieve a greater level of popularity. With the Velvet Underground its almost inarguable that there were bands who were influenced by them that went on to be a lot more popular.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Similar to the Truckers, I think they've put out extremely high quality American music, and just haven't received their full due. Now, they aren't as good as Truckers, but they're pretty damn good. The only thing keeping DBT off this list for me is their lack of commercial success/impact. They too will be bigger in 20 years than they ever were in their prime.

I'm sorry man, I think DBT is way too much of a niche band. Their success is not because they haven't been commercialized, its because they don't appeal to a wide audience. I'm not discrediting them, I just don't believe that their sound appeals to a wide audience.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Everything up to and including the Document album was aces. After Document there was a big dropoff in my opinion.
Agree here. I'm not one of these granola eating hippies that is prone to saying "they sold out, man" but it seemed the quality and creativity of REM's music declined as their popularity increased. "Life's Rich Pageant" is definitely one of the best CD's I've ever owned but you hit the nail on the head in stating REM went downhill after Document.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm sorry man, I think DBT is way too much of a niche band. Their success is not because they haven't been commercialized, its because they don't appeal to a wide audience. I'm not discrediting them, I just don't believe that their sound appeals to a wide audience.

You might be right. If they didn't have Southern accents, I think they'd be much bigger. Or if they had less rock and roll riffs They are always saddled with the "too country for rock, too rock for country" label. However, if you actually listen to it, their sound isn't that "out there" at all. I have no misconceptions about the level of popularity that the Truckers have achieved up to this point, but I'm talking into the future.

The music industry is a fickle place. How is it that a band like Big Star never became popular? It certainly wasn't because they had an inaccessible sound or disconnected lyrics. Yet Big Star was vindicated over time, much like the Velvet Underground.

I have a feeling DBT will be the same way. I haven't met a person who really sat down, listened to the band, and didn't like them, unless they just didn't like classic rock and roll (and I know many people who don't), or they have such a strong distaste for country music that they couldn't get past the accent. Maybe it's just too easy for me to overlook a Southern accent on top of classic rock riffs, but I can't understand how this isn't a modern rock hit. Well, ok, I can, but you get the point.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkAVzoLFFg0]YouTube - ‪Aftermath USA‬‏[/ame]

My point is that years from now, they will be a more well known and respected band than they are today. We won't know till then.

Last edited:

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
CSN&Y? I know, one guy is Canadian and one is British, but I'd call them an American band. They're more folk than many of the others mentioned.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
CSN&Y? I know, one guy is Canadian and one is British, but I'd call them an American band. They're more folk than many of the others mentioned.

If you count them then you can count The Band. Both are worthy entries, just not sure how "American" they are.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
The Band
The Doors

I like your style. I think if Morrison hadn't cut himself down with drugs, they would have been much bigger than they were. I got into a huge Doors kick during college when I lived in a house with an old turntable in it. Went to a thrift shop and bought a whole bunch of old albums.

CCR has got to be near the top of any American Band list. What about the Jimi Hendrix experience, that count as a band?

Numbers wise (I Googled it to see who the top selling American band was), the Eagles are top...which makes me gag. How about Aerosmith? Their early stuff rocked pretty hard and IMO they are pretty influential. Van Halen or even Metallica. To say that Metallica has not influenced modern hard rock, you would be a dope. I hate their egos and their attitudes, but they are pretty solid.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I like your style. I think if Morrison hadn't cut himself down with drugs, they would have been much bigger than they were. I got into a huge Doors kick during college when I lived in a house with an old turntable in it. Went to a thrift shop and bought a whole bunch of old albums.

CCR has got to be near the top of any American Band list. What about the Jimi Hendrix experience, that count as a band?

Numbers wise (I Googled it to see who the top selling American band was), the Eagles are top...which makes me gag. How about Aerosmith? Their early stuff rocked pretty hard and IMO they are pretty influential. Van Halen or even Metallica. To say that Metallica has not influenced modern hard rock, you would be a dope. I hate their egos and their attitudes, but they are pretty solid.

I'd count them as a band but Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding were British. Same thing as The Band.

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
As an "oldster" that has been a rock and roll fan from the beginning, don't know how anyone could not talk about the greatest American band - - - ZZ Top !

Reactions: ketchupnmustard

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO

No. Jimi Hendrix was American. The Experience was British. Just finished the Live at Monterey DVD I got on Netflix (awesome, BTW). They went on and on about how he was American, but moved to England and formed a band (with other English) to become famous, but really worked hard to make it big in the U.S., which culminated at the Monterey Music Festival in 1967.

Great story in the movie in an interview with Pete Townsend about how they argued who would follow who (Hendrix or the Who), because they were both worried about being showed up. Hendrix won.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
Allman Brothers. Their live stuff is unmatched (and that's not a knock on their studio albums)
Very good call there on the Allmans....not sure how this thread got this far without them being mentioned.

Personally, a big fan of DBT and the Crowes. The DBT is definitely an acquired taste, and will never gain mainstream popularity. The Crowes have stayed very true to themselves and not popular tastes. As mentioned, their first two albums were big, but not their best. As of last summer, they were still at the top of their game.

Overall though, it has to go to Bruce and the E Street band. Compared to anyone else mentioned on this thread, they have put out more good albums, done it for 30+ years, and really brought it in their live performances.

Reactions: Al_4_State

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
* yawn *

I just never have gotten into Springsteen. Two crazes I have never understood: people who go nuts for The Boss and Parrotheads. I guess we can put Dead Heads in there too. Just don't understand what the fuss is about.

Reactions: ketchupnmustard

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Very good call there on the Allmans....not sure how this thread got this far without them being mentioned.

Personally, a big fan of DBT and the Crowes. The DBT is definitely an acquired taste, and will never gain mainstream popularity. The Crowes have stayed very true to themselves and not popular tastes. As mentioned, their first two albums were big, but not their best. As of last summer, they were still at the top of their game.

Overall though, it has to go to Bruce and the E Street band. Compared to anyone else mentioned on this thread, they have put out more good albums, done it for 30+ years, and really brought it in their live performances.

C'mon boys! I had 'em in the first post. They are Top 5 without a doubt here.

Agree with pretty much everything else in your post. DBT won't ever be mainstream, Crowes have been consistently good throughout their career, body of work goes to the Boss & Company.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
* yawn *

I just never have gotten into Springsteen. Two crazes I have never understood: people who go nuts for The Boss and Parrotheads. I guess we can put Dead Heads in there too. Just don't understand what the fuss is about.

I think that you have to dig a little deeper than Glory Days, Born in the USA and Born to Run. Most of Springsteen's best stuff are songs that weren't on the singles charts and didn't see the radio. But what I like about his music is that most of the songs tell a story. Just great songwriting that you don't see with most artists.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'm by no means a Springsteen fan but a strong case can be built for him. When I was at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a few years ago two floors were dedicated to him.

Hope one of the people I work with doesn't see this thread tomorrow...she'll offer in how .38 Special is unquestionably the best rock band period, not just American. :no:

Help Support Us

Become a patron