Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band = Greatest American rock and roll band?

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I think that you have to dig a little deeper than Glory Days, Born in the USA and Born to Run. Most of Springsteen's best stuff are songs that weren't on the singles charts and didn't see the radio. But what I like about his music is that most of the songs tell a story. Just great songwriting that you don't see with most artists.

Well, maybe that's the problem then because I can usually never understand a word he sings. The only words I can understand are the signature phrases in his songs "Baby, we were born to ruuuun," "Glory Days," "Born in the USA," you get the idea.

BMFClone

Dec 17, 2010
Western IA
This list is not valid without the Doors on it......there are at WORST a top 5 American Band. Any of you youngsters that didn't get a chance to see Jim Morrisson & Co. perform, well....it's just a shame!:rolleyes:

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Very good call there on the Allmans....not sure how this thread got this far without them being mentioned.

Personally, a big fan of DBT and the Crowes. The DBT is definitely an acquired taste, and will never gain mainstream popularity. The Crowes have stayed very true to themselves and not popular tastes. As mentioned, their first two albums were big, but not their best. As of last summer, they were still at the top of their game.

Overall though, it has to go to Bruce and the E Street band. Compared to anyone else mentioned on this thread, they have put out more good albums, done it for 30+ years, and really brought it in their live performances.

Allman brothers, Ugh. Can't stand the Allman Brothers. Another band I don't get.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I've heard a lot of band names in this thread that while familiar, I couldnt name a single song if you gave me a week. Now maybe I would recognize it, but never knew who it was. Among those in this group, Wilco, truckers, and even Velvet Underground.

I have never cared much for the boss but recognize his importance. I probably like the southern rock groups named much better. I'd also second Van Halen and RHCP.

Also, brass is absolutely great in any kind of music. Two of my faves (one of which I suppose might be relevant here) used it well, Pink Floyd and Chicago.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I also believe Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon, and Steve Miller Band should be included somewhere. Haven't seen them listed anywhere yet, but they dominated the late 70s/early 80s.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Grand Funk Railroad. After all, they wrote the song.

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
I can't believe Nirvana made the list at #3; They only had 3 full albums. I'm also disappointing with how low The Doors are..

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Well, maybe that's the problem then because I can usually never understand a word he sings. The only words I can understand are the signature phrases in his songs "Baby, we were born to ruuuun," "Glory Days," "Born in the USA," you get the idea.

So I'll go ahead and assume you're not big on AC/DC either.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Shoot me, but the Doors are overrated. At least Jim Morrison's lyrics are. Maybe not the rest of the band.

Morrison's lyrics are just the product of doing drugs and verbalizing the **** in your head. That's exactly what it sounds like.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
Since it has been mentioned earlier, it would be interesting to see a list of the top 25 or 50 British rock bands. For starters....

Rolling Stones
The Beatles
Cream
The Who
The Faces
The Clash
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
The Yardbirds
Small Faces
The Moody Blues
The Dave Clark Five
The Spencer Davis Group
Traffic
Fleetwood Mac
Pink Floyd
The Small Faces
The Kinks
Yes
Genesis
ELO
ELP
Deep Purple
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Queen
Def Leppard
Motorhead
Smiths
Stone Roses
Oasis
Sex Pistols
The Police
The Specials
XTC
Squeeze
The Cure
Joy Division
Depeche Mode
Echo and the Bunnymen
The Pogues
Duran Duran
Dire Straits
The Eurythmics
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Pulp
Blur
Radiohead
Coldplay
The Verve
The Fratellis

That was more or less off the top of my head, not meant to be inclusive....I'm sure I left off some good bands
IMO overall, a pretty impressive list of bands....

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
All those British bands and you missed The Faces? I see The Small Faces, but that was pre Ronnie Wood and Rod Stewart.

The Faces were amazing.
Nah....I had them in there at one point....I must have typed over them accidentally....thats what happens when you do this type of stuff after too many Bells.

Correction...I had to re-read my own list....they are there 5th from the top.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Shoot me, but the Doors are overrated. At least Jim Morrison's lyrics are. Maybe not the rest of the band.

Morrison's lyrics are just the product of doing drugs and verbalizing the **** in your head. That's exactly what it sounds like.

This is a joke post right? I mean, youre joking with this whole "his lyrics come from him doing drugs" right? I'm reminded of the intro to Third Eye by TOOL, a Bill Hicks snippit:

"See, I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do. And if you don’t believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor: go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your cd’s and burn em’. 'Cause you know what? The musicians who’ve made all that great music that’s enhanced your lives throughout the years...Rrrrrrrrrrrrreal ------ high on drugs"

Come on man, most of the bands people are listing are bands from the 60s and 70s...heck, I dont care what decade they were in, music is influenced by drugs.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
I'd say Bruce and the E street band are the most overrated band in American history. Really don't care for them at all. Any band that has a saxaphone player (sorry Clarence) should be automatically bared. Saxaphone in rock music is wrong. I actually really like Bruce's solo stuff...Nebraska is an amazing album.

I'd say Wilco, Nirvana, Ramones...crap this is hard. Makes me realize how many great 'bands' came out of England.

Completely agree. I don't get the love affair either. I actually find a lot of their music cheesy. I'd put Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers above Springsteen along with other bands.

Last edited:

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The Boss definitely goes on the same love-hate list as The Dead and Jimmy Buffet, to name two others.
You know, where 50% say it's the greatest thing to come down the pike and the other 50% say, "What is this *****?".

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This is a joke post right? I mean, youre joking with this whole "his lyrics come from him doing drugs" right? I'm reminded of the intro to Third Eye by TOOL, a Bill Hicks snippit:

"See, I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do. And if you don’t believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor: go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your cd’s and burn em’. 'Cause you know what? The musicians who’ve made all that great music that’s enhanced your lives throughout the years...Rrrrrrrrrrrrreal ------ high on drugs"

Come on man, most of the bands people are listing are bands from the 60s and 70s...heck, I dont care what decade they were in, music is influenced by drugs.

I love the Doors' sound, but I don't think Morrison's lyrics are special at all. He's a great front man, singer, and from the clips I've seen was a hell of a performer.

As a lyricist, I think he's sub par compared to his contemporaries like Jagger, Lennon, Dylan, Young, etc, yet he's often held in that high of regard.

Don't get me wrong, drugs have done phenomenal things for art and music. Especially when they've unlocked brilliance. However, I feel most people of a certain intelligence level could eat mushrooms, wait about 2 hrs and then start writing down their thoughts and it would look like a Morrison song. That isn't brilliance.

I'm not discrediting artists for using drugs, I'm saying that Morrison (as a poet) wasn't doing anything that "above and beyond" what drug use would create for anyone else.