Billy Gillispe calls Gary Thompson...two others called him as well

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I think the releasing of Billy's name was strategic. I don't know if the strategy was to gauge fan interest and to see if such a hire would actually be accepted at Iowa State, or if it is to distract the fans and give them something to talk about while Pollard explores his actual short list. Both seem plausible to me, but I definitely think it was strategic.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Who are the real possibilities for the new head coach?

Billy Gillispie could not pass ISU President Geoffroy’s smell test, so forget about him, he’s also making his desire too public (goes against JP’s MO).

Fran Frascilla is an intriguing possibility if he makes himself available (rumor says he likes Ames and Hilton).

Any of the former ISU players’ names being mentioned have no coaching experience, so forget them.

LE is contractually forbidden to coach ISU ever again, so forget him.

Jeter’s record over the years does not impress me at all. He’s a possibility, but not a good one.

Gard doesn’t like coaching outside the state of Wisconsin, so forget him.

Sutton likes ORU too much to leave, so forget him.

Forget Lon Kruger, he has no respect for ISU.

Al Skinner is an east coast guy only, forget him.

The rest of the names on the list are valid possibilities to my mind and would be good hires.

Just my dollar’s worth. :wink:

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
Re: Who are the real possibilities for the new head coach?

Gillispie can pass Geoffroy's "smell test" if he really has gone through the treatment he talked about earlier this year on ESPN... So answer is Gillispie.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny

Billy Gillispie could not pass ISU President Geoffroy’s smell test, so forget about him, he’s also making his desire too public (goes against JP’s MO).

Fran Frascilla is an intriguing possibility if he makes himself available (rumor says he likes Ames and Hilton).

Any of the former ISU players’ names being mentioned have no coaching experience, so forget them.

Jeter’s record over the years does not impress me at all. He’s a possibility, but not a good one.

The rest of the names on the list are valid possibilities to my mind and would be good hires.

Nobody knows!

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
And he couldn't start and averaged 13 minutes a game........right before he declared for the NBA draft.

Yeah, worthless bench warmer Daniel Orton who is currently projected as a first round pick by nbadraft.net. 14 picks higher than the great Craig Brackins. It would sure suck to have a couple Daniel Ortons on the roster in Ames.

For those that need it: :jimlad:

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

Lon Kruger has no respect for ISU??? Explain this, last time I think he campaigned pretty hard for this job. Maybe that poster that had experience with him could shed a little light on this. And also, BCG did not make his interest public, Gary did.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
And he couldn't start and averaged 13 minutes a game........right before he declared for the NBA draft.
So he wasn't rated as a 5* by Rivals? Because that was the point of the post. Perhaps the point flew right over your head though.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Honestly, tazclone is just looking for a fight. Ignore him and this thread would be a lot better.
How so. Just offering some information. Everyone claims that Billy G is a great recruiter. There is information that is contrary to that. I am sorry but there is more to choosing a coach then looking at his past records. You need to look at how they accomplished those records and if those efforts will translate to ISU.

His success at UTEP and aTm is impressive. He built aTm and brought UTEP back to respectability but that doesn't guarantee it will happen at ISU. He did it with Texas kids at both stops. He did not do so well at Kentucky on many, many levels.

Why is it I can't question that success? Please tell me how his recruiting efforts at Kentucky equate to him being a GREAT recruiter. They don't. People on here claim that Tubby did not recruit the talent but he did better than Billy. The three years prior to Billy, tubby had 3 five star guys and he was contending with rumblings of his future. Cal has done better than Billy the two years following. Pitino did better. So he is dead last out of the last four Kentucky coaches. Not sure how that makes him a great recruiter.

So the guy ****** off donors, had the least succes of any coach at that school, recruited the worst, and was helped out the door. Nlot to mention his personal issues. And you are telling me people questiooning his abilities are looking for a fight. Sorry but no. I am just looking at the whole picture.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
:biglaugh:

I am still waiting for 1 good argument against him that makes him a bad coach. You guys are trying desperately but not many people are biting.
i am trying to see where I stated he was a bad coach. I said there are things that point to him not being a good fit. They are questions that he would need to answer. here they are so you can muber them
  1. Coaching- You seem to have done very well on the court at UTEP and aTm. Not so much at Kentucky as you had the least success of any coach since Rupp. What was the difference? Why didn't you have the success at Kentucky?
  2. Recruiting- Againsyou did very well recruiting Texas kids to play for Texas schools. What happened at Kentucky. Recruiting was okay but not the level Kentucky expects or should achieve. What would be you recruiting strategies at ISU?
  3. Personal issues
Those are all vaid concerns that are ignored by you. I didn't make them up. He was pushed out of Kentucky for a reason and that reason is he was not successful. He did not meet expectations.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
You may have me confused with tazclone.
Actually, I have provided a lot of facts to back up my concerns and I am warming up to Billy G. Would support him tomorrow if he is the coach.

I just think people are ignoring some evidence that contradicts their claims. It would be the same issues I would have with GMac if I was a Creighton fan.

tellmac

May 10, 2006
New Coach

How about Mike Born. He is working with the Portland Trail Blazers now I believe.
Great guy,knows basketball, and an ISU guy.Has contacts all over the U.S. and Europe.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
Re: New Coach

How about Mike Born. He is working with the Portland Trail Blazers now I believe.
Great guy,knows basketball, and an ISU guy.Has contacts all over the U.S. and Europe.
Use your inside voice, please.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Texas has so many kids that a lot of the time it isn't necessary to leave Texas to recruit. I would imagine Billy would adjust to being in Iowa by bringing in talent from around the area, as well as working his Texas connections.. Patterson and Liggins weren't from Texas....
Patterson was going to commit to Kentucky when Tubby was hired and Billy missed on quite a few local and TX kids while he was at Kentucky. Here is who he got and who he didn't you can change the year if

Billy Gillispie - Kentucky Basketball

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Texas has so many kids that a lot of the time it isn't necessary to leave Texas to recruit. I would imagine Billy would adjust to being in Iowa by bringing in talent from around the area, as well as working his Texas connections.. Patterson and Liggins weren't from Texas....

Patterson was going to commit to Kentucky when Tubby was hired and Billy missed on quite a few local and TX kids while he was at Kentucky. Here is who he got and who he didn't you can change the year if you want.

Interesting enough, the players he recruited at Texas weren't all that highly rated. He had two four star recruits in Davis and Sloan and one 5 star in Jordan. Shows how good of a coach he is though.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
Patterson was going to commit to Kentucky when Tubby was hired and Billy missed on quite a few local and TX kids while he was at Kentucky. Here is who he got and who he didn't you can change the year if you want.

Interesting enough, the players he recruited at Texas weren't all that highly rated. He had two four star recruits in Davis and Sloan and one 5 star in Jordan. Shows how good of a coach he is though.

Wait, did you just admit Gillespie was a good coach? not just a good recruiter in Texas?

Mark3130

Feb 26, 2010
What has Gillespie done? The A&M team he did so well with was recruited by is predecessor. He has not proven he is the one we need. Not to mention, he has a drinking problem….same thing Eustachy was fired for. I’ve heard there is a clause in Eustachy’s pay off that says he can not coach at ISU ever again, not sure if this is true, if it is they need to tear it up and try to bring him back, he was the best coach we have had in a very long time. He hit a rough spot in his life and got into trouble, any good AD or school president would have helped him get through it, made him go to AA and get help, but sure would not have fired him over it!

Bring back Larry Eustachy as head basketball coach!

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
What has Gillespie done? The A&M team he did so well with was recruited by is predecessor. He has not proven he is the one we need.

How has Turgeon done at A&M, and are you attributing his success to Gillispie?
Not to mention, he has a drinking problem….same thing Eustachy was fired for. I’ve heard there is a clause in Eustachy’s pay off that says he can not coach at ISU ever again, not sure if this is true, if it is they need to tear it up and try to bring him back, he was the best coach we have had in a very long time. He hit a rough spot in his life and got into trouble, any good AD or school president would have helped him get through it, made him go to AA and get help, but sure would not have fired him over it!

We still have the same school president, so I guess in your mind he isn't a good school president.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What has Gillespie done? The A&M team he did so well with was recruited by is predecessor. He has not proven he is the one we need. Not to mention, he has a drinking problem….same thing Eustachy was fired for. I’ve heard there is a clause in Eustachy’s pay off that says he can not coach at ISU ever again, not sure if this is true, if it is they need to tear it up and try to bring him back, he was the best coach we have had in a very long time. He hit a rough spot in his life and got into trouble, any good AD or school president would have helped him get through it, made him go to AA and get help, but sure would not have fired him over it!

You criticize people for wanting to bring in Gillispie because of his alcoholism and lack of sustained success, but yet you want to bring Eustachy back?

floppy_fail.jpg

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I normally don't bash for post numbers but this is not a good start. The guys his predecessor got went 0-16 before he got there. He then took them to the post season every year he was there with only the first being the NIT. Also, you are going to bash the drinking thing yet want LE back? I know they have not committed the same errors but it is a touch hypocritical. Also, What has Eustachy done since he was fired from here? One CIT appearance is it. LE would be a great hire until about year 4 when we weren't getting much better. Like i have said, I am not really in favor of BCG, however, I can look at his resume and find more reasons to hire him as our coach with as strict of a contract JP can put together than I can reasons why I don't think he will win. He has been in the post season 6 consecutive times. No coach that has ever been here has done that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron