Bill Self rumored as possible coach at Arkansas

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
They just reported tonight that Arkansas coach, Stan Heath will be fired if he can not win the SEC tournament and get the Razorbacks into the NCAA tournament (which is unlikely as he has been unable to win back to back conference games so far this season).

They reported that Bill Self is apparently unhappy at Kansas and is rumored as a potential candidate to replace Heath. The university has made it clear that they will not hire an assistant or an up and coming coach, only a successful coach with a history of winning. They will not use a search committee.

Sounds to me that they already have somebody waiting in the wings and only waiting to pull the trigger on Heath.

One other name also mentioned is the coach from Texas A&M.

gondozors

Apr 11, 2006
I can't see those 2 coaches leaving for Arkansas. Let alone KU & A&M will be able to match $$$ with any offer from Arkansas. The only way the Razorbacks would have a chance at those 2 would be if they're was a personal connection with those 2 coaches.

Perhaps a guy the razorbacks could get would be Bobby Huggins.....1 year wonder will have K-State in the NCAA for the 1st time in 10 yrs & I've seen rumors of his wife wanting out of Manhattan already....I can't see why he'd want to stay anyway.

Go for Huggins.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Even if you are unhappy how do you leave the recruiting gold mine in Kansas? I guess happiness is sort of important...lol, but I would be VERY surprised if Self leaves Kansas for Arkansas.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Makes you wonder when guys like Mark Few at Gonzaga or Reggie Theus at New Mexico State are going to pull the trigger on their programs and bolt for a major college program. After the tough year Few had, I wouldn't be surprised if he moved somewhere else.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
good luck to Ark.. they could land Wayne!! thats about it.. i dont see many coaches going there..but they prob could go after LE.. he is proven.. but i doubt he would leave southern miss for ark.. i think he wants somthin a lil higher up

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
I can't see those 2 coaches leaving for Arkansas. Let alone KU & A&M will be able to match $$$ with any offer from Arkansas.

They actually mentioned that Self would have to take a pay cut but they still think he would somehow be interested. I personally don't see it happening. A lot of wild stuff happening down here ever since the football fiasco with the Springdale players. It's evidently lead to AD Frank Broyles announcing his retirement, Nutt's job becomes uncertain, and Broyles basically fires Heath before he leaves.

It's all been rather amusing...:yes4lo:

loboclone

Aug 8, 2006
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Makes you wonder when guys like Mark Few at Gonzaga or Reggie Theus at New Mexico State are going to pull the trigger on their programs and bolt for a major college program. After the tough year Few had, I wouldn't be surprised if he moved somewhere else.

Interesting, Reggie has the Aggie program "Rockin" after just 2 years.....21-7 WAC 10-4.........anybody that has watched them knows Reggie can coach and recurit with the best. Anybody remember Lou Henson??? He coach the Illini for ever..........he also coached at NMSU and when he left the Illini he came back to las cruces and coached the Aggies. he told Reggie that if you build it stay ............don't leave as I did. Reggie is reported here to have listened and promised to stay..........$$$$ talks and B**s**t walks.......he would be a great hire somewhere.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
They just reported tonight that Arkansas coach, Stan Heath will be fired if he can not win the SEC tournament and get the Razorbacks into the NCAA tournament (which is unlikely as he has been unable to win back to back conference games so far this season).

They reported that Bill Self is apparently unhappy at Kansas and is rumored as a potential candidate to replace Heath. The university has made it clear that they will not hire an assistant or an up and coming coach, only a successful coach with a history of winning. They will not use a search committee.

Arkansas MBB has been rather unremarkable starting with the 1995-1996 season (the first season after their "glory years") through the present. They've had double digit seasonal loss totals for all but one of those years, and they've been above 0.500 in conference only 5 times in that period. It's not a marquee MBB school anymore. But money talks, and maybe they've got a "Johnny Orr" lined up to come in and take them back to where Richardson had them from the late '80s through mid '90's.

Stelrs1995

Apr 17, 2006
Waukee, Iowa
good luck to Ark.. they could land Wayne!! thats about it.. i dont see many coaches going there..but they prob could go after LE.. he is proven.. but i doubt he would leave southern miss for ark.. i think he wants somthin a lil higher up

I remember when you couldn't get "a lil higher up" than Arkansas basketball. Most on here are probably too young to remember the glory days of the Nolan Richardson era.

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006
no way. self isnt going anywhere.

im still waiting for the Wichita State coach to go somewhere

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Playoffs? Playoffs? Arkansas? Arkansas? Now who can we get?

How about that coach at the New York Knicks. Thad Motta? Maybe Danny Ainge? Bill O'Reilly? Jack Nicholson?

Tim Floyd is up to #24.

Better question is who is their AD and is he as good as JP? He will need to be to pull this off.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Other rumored names are Mike Anderson at Missouri, Doc Sadler at Nebraska, and Mark Turgeon at Wichita State

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
This thread is dumb, enough said, no big name big school coach is leaving for Arkansas

At what point did I ever say this was likely or probable?? I heard it on the news last night and found it interesting (and humorous as well) and thought I'd throw it on here for some feedback. Nice reply though....always appreciate any response that begins "this is dumb". It oozes of maturity.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Just keep this in mind before continuing to rip whichever decision Self may make - between Kansas and Arkansas, which school was the last to win an NCAA Men's B-ball title?

Umm, that'd be Arkansas...