Bill Fennelly should be the Men's Bball coach...

ST8BRN

Nov 17, 2006
Pioneer, IA
I am completely serious. Greg would never stomp anyone (let alone a ranked conference foe) like the Twister Sisters are right now. Fennelly is the best coach in our athletic department right now, imho (Cael included). Greg lovers, rip me now.... Wild Bill is the man

Reactions: j4state

hiwhatis

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, IA
no, it's a totally different beast. bill is very good at his job, don't get me wrong, but there's no way he'd be as good of a mens coach as mcdermott.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
no, it's a totally different beast. bill is very good at his job, don't get me wrong, but there's no way he'd be as good of a mens coach as mcdermott.

I'm pretty sure Fennelly could have found a way to be 1-6 in the Big XII at this point in the season.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
Positives for Bill F:

Adjusts his game plans depending on his players. For years, he played exclusively zone defense. Now, he plays almost exclusively man.

Has high expectations each year, for himself and players, and holds himself and players accountable.

Even with 2 starters out with injuries, makes it into the NCAA tournament.

Always praises the fan base, since the first game on campus. Build fan base from under 1,000 to 10,000.

Bill F is easily the best coach at ISU. If Christy Johnson keeps it up long term, she can achieve the same respect as Bill.

But, not sure it would translate. However, I'd be willing to guess he'd be no worse than 1-6 in the conference.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
BS thread. Check back when McDermott has been on the job as long as Fennelly.

BS post. You really can't be serious.

What did Bill F do in his second year? I can tell you the women's team was much much worse than the men's team was in the years before Bill took over.

He set a standard for success when he first stepped on board. He recruited great players.

McDermott will never catch Bill F in conference wins, NCAA tourney appearances, or anything having to do with wins/losses. He's already way behind.

I'm not saying Bill F could coach the men, but don't underplay what Bill has done with the women's team.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
yeah, but what would we do when BF needed to be in two separate cities at the same time for the final 4?:jimlad:

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
ya think so? You really wanna hear about all of the transfers over the years no one ever talks about?

Wesley isn't correct. But, transfers don't matter when you win games. Or, when you recruit enough good players to make up for those transfers.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
BS post. You really can't be serious.

Why can't I be serious? Give McDermott ten years to build up his program, as Fennelly has done, then talk about whether he's beating top 5 teams or not. Fennelly sure as heck wasn't doing that in his first three, and to bust on McDermott because he isn't doing so is just plain ridiculous.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I absolutely hate it when people completely try to discredit someones opinion with a statement such as "BS post" and "Oh dear lord". If you don't agree with the guy put forth your reasons. Don't act like you are some all-knowing basketball efficiendo and the rest of our opinions are pure rubbish in comparission to your enlightened opinion. Do I think BF could have done much better with this team? Probably not. But I am of the opinion he could coach our men just as well as McD has. If you are going to act like this guys opinion is completely **** then put your opinion out there for the rest of us to blast.

This is a message board...it only survives on a variance of opinions. Some people here act like their opinion is the only reasonable one.

Reactions: j4state

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
ya think so? You really wanna hear about all of the transfers over the years no one ever talks about?

Doesn't matter when you win. Fenelly wins (and it started early). Heck, I really think if Greg could just beat a ranked team at home, alot of people (self included) wouldn't be so damn frustrated. I can't think of a 3 year stretch this side of Johnny that we failed to beat a ranked opponent at home...

iowaboy

Apr 4, 2008
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The womens team could out-shoot the mens any time. Three pointer, free throws, don't matter. If they played a game of "make it take it" the women could beat the mens.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
Why can't I be serious? Give McDermott ten years to build up his program, as Fennelly has done, then talk about whether he's beating top 5 teams or not. Fennelly sure as heck wasn't doing that in his first three, and to bust on McDermott because he isn't doing so is just plain ridiculous.

Really??? Bill Fennely made it into the NCAA tourney in his second year at ISU. In that year, we beat #9 Texas. In his third year, we make it to the second round of the NCAA's, after beating #5 Texas Tech, #17 Alabama, and #25 Nebraska.

I know you can't see anything wrong with McD, but don't crap on Fennelly because of it.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If you are going to act like this guys opinion is completely **** then put your opinion out there for the rest of us to blast.
Try looking one post up. And I'm pretty sure that my original post covered the only salient point. To compare Fennelly's success in an upset win after ten years on the job to build the program is just plain rediculous.

Not to take anything away from Fennelly, but it's like saying that Pat Summit would have won a national championship by now, if she had been the men's coach here for three years.