Big Ten Hate

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
A lot of truth to this. And they get elite bowl games year-after-year-after-year when they don't deserve them AND then almost always have a very poor showing (because they didn't deserve the matchup in the 1st place). Highly over-rated as a conference and particularly with the depth of good teams. They usually go 3-4 deep and that's it.

I guess what it comes down to is athletics is supposed to be about what you do on the field. Everyone plays on the same field by the same rules. But the BIG10 gets buy on favoritism, politics, money, and demographics. For "pure" sports fans this sort of crap just turns the stomach. I never used to root against the B10 but over the years I have really come to despise them and root against all of those teams; not just Iowa.

agree here. The big ten conference is such a joke.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
I guess if the cause of all the BIG obsession is because of Iowa, isn't that a round-about way of obsessing over Iowa? Afterall, why aren't there as many SEC, Pac12, Big East, ACC hate threads? In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the number of BIG related threads outnumber the total topics of all the other BCS conferences combined.

It's the exact same on all of your sites as well though.

Look at the rivalry board, there is NOTHING on there about your supposed "true" rival (Purdue). There is hardly even anything on there about nebbie, it is ALL Iowa State.

There were 4 page long threads in your main fb sections about CPR's new contract. When decrying the state of the program, and kirkie, nearly every one of the genetically challenged that post on those boards made mention of losing to us...

In reality, most of the people on this board live in this state. The fact that we get the fox 12 network forced on us, causes resentment to build up.

Add the fact that that iowa really doesn't exponentially improve the image of the conference, yet your group seems to put themselves in that breath, and yes people who don't root for the hawks get real tired of it.

It isn't just us, actual UNI fans feel the same, not the iowa panther fans, but real UNI fans don't like iowa either.

At the end of this whole debate, though, is the way that your fanbase acts is probably the leading reason that people don't like iowa.

Reactions: TheCaptain

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa

Look at the rivalry board, there is NOTHING on there about your supposed "true" rival (Purdue). There is hardly even anything on there about nebbie, it is ALL Iowa State.

There were 4 page long threads in your main fb sections about CPR's new contract. When decrying the state of the program, and kirkie, nearly every one of the genetically challenged that post on those boards made mention of losing to us...

In reality, most of the people on this board live in this state. The fact that we get the fox 12 network forced on us, causes resentment to build up.

Add the fact that that iowa really doesn't exponentially improve the image of the conference, yet your group seems to put themselves in that breath, and yes people who don't root for the hawks get real tired of it.

It isn't just us, actual UNI fans feel the same, not the iowa panther fans, but real UNI fans don't like iowa either.

At the end of this whole debate, though, is the way that your fanbase acts is probably the leading reason that people don't like iowa.

GREAT response!
rep added

Cychotiic

Nov 27, 2010
Ames
I don't like the B1G cause they are such a "prestigious" conference yet suck year after year and are all over sports center. Sort of similar to ND. That and they are always extremely overrated

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Even having Luck can't make people spell it Stanford rather than standford.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Ames does have MN, NE, and Illinois bordering along with in state eiu.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I'm sorry :cry: .... GO BIG TEN!!!! WIN ALL OF YOUR GAMES!!!!!.... Now I feel better

Support is not the same thing as indifference.

Maybe it has something to do with being a collection of pretentious d-bags. Legends and Leaders says it all.

I can understand the hate. I hate the SEC with a passion; Vandy is the one team I can confidently say I hold no ill will towards in some fashion, and Georgia is a school I don't mind all that much. The rest of that conference can go to hell, IMO.

And that's with a conference that's backed up the hype. The Big Ten hasn't. We have too many bowl tie-ins (seriously, NINE tie-ins?!), and far too often get two teams into the BCS, which only serves to make everyone look bad by forcing them to play up a game (and we usually don't win both BCS games, either). The conference is also, on the average, arrogant based on its history.

So I can definitely understand the hate.

But as far as that history goes, it IS legit. A lot of it is getting outdated, and not worth pounding one's chest about, but it's not false. Kind of like Notre Dame; I hate the way their fans go on like they are still an elite program when they haven't been relevant on the field in 20 years. But I don't deny the fact that they are arguably the greatest football program in NCAA history. Because it's true.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I can understand the hate. I hate the SEC with a passion; Vandy is the one team I can confidently say I hold no ill will towards in some fashion, and Georgia is a school I don't mind all that much. The rest of that conference can go to hell, IMO.

And that's with a conference that's backed up the hype. The Big Ten hasn't. We have too many bowl tie-ins (seriously, NINE tie-ins?!), and far too often get two teams into the BCS, which only serves to make everyone look bad by forcing them to play up a game (and we usually don't win both BCS games, either). The conference is also, on the average, arrogant based on its history.

So I can definitely understand the hate.

But as far as that history goes, it IS legit. A lot of it is getting outdated, and not worth pounding one's chest about, but it's not false. Kind of like Notre Dame; I hate the way their fans go on like they are still an elite program when they haven't been relevant on the field in 20 years. But I don't deny the fact that they are arguably the greatest football program in NCAA history. Because it's true.

Proving once again why you're "tolerated" around here... :wink:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'm sorry :cry: .... GO BIG TEN!!!! WIN ALL OF YOUR GAMES!!!!!.... Now I feel better
Maybe it has something to do with being a collection of pretentious d-bags. Legends and Leaders says it all.
I can understand the hate. I hate the SEC with a passion; Vandy is the one team I can confidently say I hold no ill will towards in some fashion, and Georgia is a school I don't mind all that much. The rest of that conference can go to hell, IMO.And that's with a conference that's backed up the hype. The Big Ten hasn't. We have too many bowl tie-ins (seriously, NINE tie-ins?!), and far too often get two teams into the BCS, which only serves to make everyone look bad by forcing them to play up a game (and we usually don't win both BCS games, either). The conference is also, on the average, arrogant based on its history.So I can definitely understand the hate.But as far as that history goes, it IS legit. A lot of it is getting outdated, and not worth pounding one's chest about, but it's not false. Kind of like Notre Dame; I hate the way their fans go on like they are still an elite program when they haven't been relevant on the field in 20 years. But I don't deny the fact that they are arguably the greatest football program in NCAA history. Because it's true.

Um, you don't usually win one BCS game let alone both of them. Let's not kid ourselves.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Outside of KSU and OSU, the Big 12 played junk teams. Our second best team against the Big 10s 5th or sixth best team? I would hope we would win. I'm not saying the Big Ten is good but the SEC and Big 12 aren't as good as everyone thinks. The top of the Big Ten is a little better than everyone thinks.

Aren't you some sort of expert on this site? The bolded is plain nuts.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

1. Iowa fans, at least on HN, are in denial regarding ISU's status as a true rival. I'll never argue otherwise.

2. More of the talk regarding Wisconsin and Nebraska is found on the football forum rather than the rivals forum.

3. There is more talk about ISU than any other rival. Because ISU is our primary rival. Geography dictates that. But the game has much less impact on our season (at least most of the time).

4. Purdue is not our natural rival. Iowa and Purdue were the leftovers, as every other team had either an in-state rival, or a really historic one (Paul Bunyon's Axe, The Game).

JealousOfIowa

Jan 2, 2012
Hey guys, thanks for the laughs. Forwarded this thread to a bunch of people. None of which thought you guys were, in any way, jealous of Iowa.

By the way, when is ANYONE going to answer the question that was asked 800 times by Iowa fans in this thread about who the heck was claiming the Big-10 would be any good this year?

I've seen like 85 million posts on this site about the Big-10 being overhyped, yet I never hear ANYONE say the Big-10 is any good. Pretty much everyone in the media has acknowledged the conference being down lately. I don't ever speak to fans of any Big-10 team (Iowa included, except maybe a few delusional morons) that thinks the conference is very strong right now.

Where do you guys get your stuff from? Seriously, who's feeding you guys this BS? Or are you just making stuff up like you normally do?

The Big-10 is mediocre right now. We all know this. Why the need for 20 threads a day on it (and, yes, I know THIS thread was started by an Iowa fan)? I send the CycloneFanatic link to friends of random teams just so they can get a kick out of your jealousy of Iowa. I don't think I've found one person that didn't come to the conclusion you guys have serious envy problems.

Give it up already. The Big-10 sucks. Yeah, we know. Unfortunately, that has NOTHING to do with Iowa have a superior program to ISU. NOTHING. Talent, tradition, money, and larger fan base are the reasons. Deal with it.

Oh, and if your response is "we're not jealous of Iowa", just shut it. No one believes that. Not even you. The reason for all of these anti- Big-10 threads is because you want to justify why Iowa continually outperforms your mediocre program.

Sorry, the truth hurts sometimes. But that doesn't mean you have to make stuff up to argue. Come up with something better next time.

DoOrDie

Nov 3, 2010
I'm not jealous of Iowa. I'm proud that the state of Iowa has two excellent universities. What I do hate is condescension from Iowa fans that have an inflated view of their own importance. This inflated view comes in part from playing in the "vaunted" Big Ten.

My boyfriend is an Iowa fan, and we live together in Madison, WI, where I am a student at the UW. I also used to work for the University of Minnesota. I hear crap ALL THE TIME about how great the Big Ten is...and while that's true academically, that's crap for on the field performance. It's like saying that Pamela Anderson is still hot. She used to be, but now she has hepatitis and looks like she got hit in the face with a shovel.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I guess that's been solved, the whole world thinks the Big Ten sucks.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
Hey guys, thanks for the laughs. Forwarded this thread to a bunch of people. None of which thought you guys were, in any way, jealous of Iowa.

By the way, when is ANYONE going to answer the question that was asked 800 times by Iowa fans in this thread about who the heck was claiming the Big-10 would be any good this year?

I've seen like 85 million posts on this site about the Big-10 being overhyped, yet I never hear ANYONE say the Big-10 is any good. Pretty much everyone in the media has acknowledged the conference being down lately. I don't ever speak to fans of any Big-10 team (Iowa included, except maybe a few delusional morons) that thinks the conference is very strong right now.

Where do you guys get your stuff from? Seriously, who's feeding you guys this BS? Or are you just making stuff up like you normally do?

The Big-10 is mediocre right now. We all know this. Why the need for 20 threads a day on it (and, yes, I know THIS thread was started by an Iowa fan)? I send the CycloneFanatic link to friends of random teams just so they can get a kick out of your jealousy of Iowa. I don't think I've found one person that didn't come to the conclusion you guys have serious envy problems.

Give it up already. The Big-10 sucks. Yeah, we know. Unfortunately, that has NOTHING to do with Iowa have a superior program to ISU. NOTHING. Talent, tradition, money, and larger fan base are the reasons. Deal with it.

Oh, and if your response is "we're not jealous of Iowa", just shut it. No one believes that. Not even you. The reason for all of these anti- Big-10 threads is because you want to justify why Iowa continually outperforms your mediocre program.

Sorry, the truth hurts sometimes. But that doesn't mean you have to make stuff up to argue. Come up with something better next time.

:twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy:

Love it when we **** of their fans......

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron