Big Ten Hate

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Where is the proof of this. The only proof there would be the Bama/PSU game which wasn't an extreme blowout. They won by 16 and PSu isn't Michigan. Not even close. Then, MSU beat Georgia. I don't really care if there was a coaching **** up, they beat Georgia. Sure, Florida beat OSU, but neither of those teams are any good. I guess I'm just not sure where the proof Michigan would get waxed is. I don't think KSU would beat Michigan either. Michigans front four is probably as good as KSU has faced. Stanford would probably beat them because they can throw the ball. I will be shocked if Tech beats Michigan.

Beating Georgia like that isn't something to brag about. Georgia was probably the worst 10 win SEC team in recent memory, look at their schedule and tell who they beat that was any good.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
My "hate" (it's a strong word...) for the big 10 started with Iowa, but was solidified by Wisconsin and Penn State.

I live in Madison, and not a day goes by that some jack off fan acts like the Big Ten is the ONLY BCS conference, and everything else is second rate. They might give credence to the SEC, but that's it. Regarding Nebraska, they act like they came from JV to Varsity. Never mind the fact that NE has never recently approached the success they had in the 80s and 90s that gives them their reputation since. When I tell them I went to ISU, they look at me with pity and ask what conference we are in (my blood boils).

Same thing with some Penn State fans I've recently had too much interaction with. "Not int the big Ten" with a puffed out chest is a frequent phrase I hear from their stupid, arrogant mouths.

The arrogance by many fans, who obviously don't pay attention to anything outside their own little world is striking. They are uninformed, and blinded by it. There is no other way to put it, and it's sad/ pathetic.

That's why, in a F'ed up way, I cheer for Wisc to win the big 10 in everything, then lose pitifully in the postseason. It's my schadenfreude.

Also, 1-8 in the Rose Bowl in the last nine years.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

No, not really, I'm just pointing out my disgust of the B1G. I can understand National Championships. The team is in your league now, it's their Championship, fine. But you can't claim player that was on the team when they were in another league. It's stupid and one of the reasons the B1G pissses me off.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
Here's a reason. Too many Saturday's in the last 5 years I can watch 5 big ten football games and can't get watch the cyclones. Do the networks and cable channels really believe Indiana vs Northwestern is going to draw more TV sets than an Iowa State game inside the state of Iowa?

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
When you live in B1G country, which is any state with a B1G team, you get really tired of hearing all the B.S. It's like no other conference exists and then they come out in the post-season and stink it up to high heaven every year. Listen to the Iowa hype and hysteria and then ice that turd cake with all B1G, all the time, and you just have to hate them.

Then add to that the fact that a bunch of the teams that are in that conference benefiting from the B1G Network, etc., would not even be in the conference if they got to start from scratch based on their current model for adding teams. So to hell with them.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
ugh, I'm so sick of the B1G network claiming old Nebraska games and especially players as their own. Before the season started, they were running down the top 10 Big 10 QBs of the 2000s. Eric Crouch was #2 on their list. When did Eric Crouch play in the Big 10? If we can somehow talk Notre Dame into joining the Big XII, do we get to put the 4 horseman in as the greatest backs in the Big XII ever?

This makes me nuts to. They did the same thing with Penn St games and older players that never were part of the Big 10.

Last edited:

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
I think most of the Big 10 hate has nothing to do with Iowa. I hate the SEC, but couldn't care about a single school in the league.

Look around the country. Most people outside of Big 10 country hate the Big 10. The reason is that the Big 10 has a collective arrogance about its on-field performance that is completely contradicted by what actually happens on the field.

The Big 10 is treated is an elite league when in reality it often comes in anywhere between 4-6 amongst the BCS leagues. However, due to having several giant universities in high population areas, it gets a ton of exposure and media love.

It really has very little to do with Iowa.

A lot of truth to this. And they get elite bowl games year-after-year-after-year when they don't deserve them AND then almost always have a very poor showing (because they didn't deserve the matchup in the 1st place). Highly over-rated as a conference and particularly with the depth of good teams. They usually go 3-4 deep and that's it.

I guess what it comes down to is athletics is supposed to be about what you do on the field. Everyone plays on the same field by the same rules. But the BIG10 gets buy on favoritism, politics, money, and demographics. For "pure" sports fans this sort of crap just turns the stomach. I never used to root against the B10 but over the years I have really come to despise them and root against all of those teams; not just Iowa.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Beating Georgia like that isn't something to brag about. Georgia was probably the worst 10 win SEC team in recent memory, look at their schedule and tell who they beat that was any good.

If a team wins 10 games and is considered not very good, then your conference cannot be very good.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
You might want to check the definition of ***-kicking. Losing by one score with the chance to tie/win because you have last possession is the antithesis of such a statement.

Pretty sure he was referencing this:

Bret Bielema | TheGazette

But Bielema was also known for rubbing people the wrong way. As a senior, Bielema met former Iowa State Coach Jim Walden after an Iowa win and called Walden a “*****” and said, “I’ve enjoyed kicking your *** the past five years.” Two days later Bielema was forced to apologize and was reprimanded by Iowa’s Board of Control.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
A lot of truth to this. And they get elite bowl games year-after-year-after-year when they don't deserve them AND then almost always have a very poor showing (because they didn't deserve the matchup in the 1st place). Highly over-rated as a conference and particularly with the depth of good teams. They usually go 3-4 deep and that's it.

I guess what it comes down to is athletics is supposed to be about what you do on the field. Everyone plays on the same field by the same rules. But the BIG10 gets buy on favoritism, politics, money, and demographics. For "pure" sports fans this sort of crap just turns the stomach. I never used to root against the B10 but over the years I have really come to despise them and root against all of those teams; not just Iowa.

The bolded part is absolutely true. They are their own worst enemy. They have leveraged all the great bowls but no conference has enough good teams to have consistent success against the teams they have forced themselves to play.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I think you're both right. My take is that we want 2 dominant teams every year (doesn't have to be the same teams) and then a bunch of middle of the pack teams. Having 2 dominant teams legitimizes the conference and after that we want a bunch of teams that garner just enough respect to keep the conference balanced while giving us a good chance to rise up to 3rd (with a 9-3 or 10-2 record) in any given year. So, I always watch the non-conf games and pick the 2 teams I think have the best chance to win the conference, then I cheer for ISU and those two teams for the year.

The 2 dominant model is pretty much what the SEC has had for the last few years and it's worked pretty well for them.

I ALWAYS cheer for the Big 12 in the Championship game. I realize having the champion is huge for us as well as the Big 12. But I think people just want Big 12 teams to win to brag to thier hawk buddies...I could give a **** less. I want to beat those teams next year and in the years following. Them winning bowl games does more to make our job harder than selling the "conference". As long as CPR takes care of business we are going to get the kids we want from Texas and Iowa, etc.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
If a team wins 10 games and is considered not very good, then your conference cannot be very good.

Which is why many think the SEC East this year was as bad as the Big XII North has been in recent years. And the teams they did play in the West were the 3 worst ones. Georgia didn't play LSU, Alabama or Arkansas.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
The bolded part is absolutely true. They are their own worst enemy. They have leveraged all the great bowls but no conference has enough good teams to have consistent success against the teams they have forced themselves to play.

BS. The SEC has just as good of bowl tie-ins each year, and I'm not sure if they've ever not had 2 in the BCS (bumping them up a notch). Yet, they don't embarrass themselves year after year.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I'll add to what you're saying here is that the reason numbskulls like Cigarette man "don't see any SEC hate threads"... is that the SEC GETS THE SAME TREATMENT BUT ACTUALLY DESERVES IT AND BACKS IT UP.

No other conferences are radically overhyped or underhyped year after year after year like the Big Ten. Nobody tries to sell the Big East and ACC as top football conferences only to see them get hammered in big games year after year after year.

Today was Big Ten Football New Years Special, and they weren't close to going .500. Most rational people knew they wouldn't get close to .500 because they don't earn their place in the bowl hierarchy on the field.

Of course there are no SEC hate threads, the SEC is as good or better than the Big 12 almost every year. The Big Ten hardly ever is, maybe one out of five years.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Which is why many think the SEC East this year was as bad as the Big XII North has been in recent years. And the teams they did play in the West were the 3 worst ones. Georgia didn't play LSU, Alabama or Arkansas.

So since they didn't play three of the top 10 teams in the country, they aren't good? If you win 10 games in a BCS conference you are, at worst, a good football team.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

BS. The SEC has just as good of bowl tie-ins each year, and I'm not sure if they've ever not had 2 in the BCS (bumping them up a notch). Yet, they don't embarrass themselves year after year.

Even in a "down" year (by SEC standards) the SEC still owned the B1G on the field.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

In the past they haven't gotten as good of bowl tie ins.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron