Big Ten Hate

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Um, you don't usually win one BCS game let alone both of them. Let's not kid ourselves.

Are you sure about that? Here's the Big Ten's BCS winners going all the way back to the start of the BCS era:

1998- Michigan (Rose), Ohio State (Sugar)
1999- Wisconsin (Rose), Michigan (Sugar)
2000- None (one bid)
2001- None (one bid)
2002- Ohio State (NCG)
2003- Ohio State (Fiesta)
2004- None (one bid)
2005- Penn State (Orange), Ohio State (Fiesta)
2006- None (two bids)
2007- None (two bids)
2008- None (two bids)
2009- Iowa (Orange), Ohio State (Rose)
2010- Ohio State (Sugar)
2011- ?

That's seven years out of 13 years where the Big Ten won at least one BCS game. There have been nine years (not including this year) where the Big Ten got two teams in. The conference claimed a win in six of those seasons.

The Big Ten doesn't often deserve two bids. But let's not exaggerate things to say the conference often doesn't even deserve one.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Is anybody factoring in that putting two SEC teams in the NCG probably saved the Big Ten one (or maybe two) prodigious ***-beatings?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Aren't you some sort of expert on this site? The bolded is plain nuts.

Wisconsin just gave Oregon everything they could handle. Ohio State is routinely competitive in BCS games (even most of their losses have been close, save for the Florida bloodbath).

Saying the Big Ten's best is better than it's made out to be (especially around here) doesn't really say all that much. I do think the top of the conference isn't that bad. But it's a top-heavy conference, and in straight matchups (#1 vs. #1, #2 vs. #2, etc.) doesn't stack up with the SEC (and in most years, the Big 12).

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Hey guys, thanks for the laughs. Forwarded this thread to a bunch of people. None of which thought you guys were, in any way, jealous of Iowa.

By the way, when is ANYONE going to answer the question that was asked 800 times by Iowa fans in this thread about who the heck was claiming the Big-10 would be any good this year?

I've seen like 85 million posts on this site about the Big-10 being overhyped, yet I never hear ANYONE say the Big-10 is any good. Pretty much everyone in the media has acknowledged the conference being down lately. I don't ever speak to fans of any Big-10 team (Iowa included, except maybe a few delusional morons) that thinks the conference is very strong right now.

Where do you guys get your stuff from? Seriously, who's feeding you guys this BS? Or are you just making stuff up like you normally do?

The Big-10 is mediocre right now. We all know this. Why the need for 20 threads a day on it (and, yes, I know THIS thread was started by an Iowa fan)? I send the CycloneFanatic link to friends of random teams just so they can get a kick out of your jealousy of Iowa. I don't think I've found one person that didn't come to the conclusion you guys have serious envy problems.

Give it up already. The Big-10 sucks. Yeah, we know. Unfortunately, that has NOTHING to do with Iowa have a superior program to ISU. NOTHING. Talent, tradition, money, and larger fan base are the reasons. Deal with it.

Oh, and if your response is "we're not jealous of Iowa", just shut it. No one believes that. Not even you. The reason for all of these anti- Big-10 threads is because you want to justify why Iowa continually outperforms your mediocre program.

Sorry, the truth hurts sometimes. But that doesn't mean you have to make stuff up to argue. Come up with something better next time.
You actually read through threads on CycloneFanatic and then forward them on to friends of other teams? Wow... you must have a cool life.

Look how mad and defensive you got! This thread got to you so much that you needed to make an account and spend 30 minutes typing up a novel.

Reactions: MissouriCyclone

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
The Big-10 is mediocre right now. We all know this. Why the need for 20 threads a day on it (and, yes, I know THIS thread was started by an Iowa fan)? I send the CycloneFanatic link to friends of random teams just so they can get a kick out of your jealousy of Iowa. I don't think I've found one person that didn't come to the conclusion you guys have serious envy problems.

I'm guessing you've never seen the rivalry forum on Hawkeye Nation??

Here's the link:Rivalry Forum - HawkeyeNation Forum

They talk about us all the time as well. It's called a rivalry for a reason. We talk **** about you talk **** about us. That's the way it's supposed to be. Doesn't mean you have to come on here and be a pu**y.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
Iowa has better talent, tradition, more money and a larger fanbase. What I am hearing is that they do less with more. That is something to be proud of.....

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I don't like the SEC but watching Nebby get their lunched packed by SC was about as fulfilling as a Panchero's burrito.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin just gave Oregon everything they could handle. Ohio State is routinely competitive in BCS games (even most of their losses have been close, save for the Florida bloodbath).

Saying the Big Ten's best is better than it's made out to be (especially around here) doesn't really say all that much. I do think the top of the conference isn't that bad. But it's a top-heavy conference, and in straight matchups (#1 vs. #1, #2 vs. #2, etc.) doesn't stack up with the SEC (and in most years, the Big 12).

And the bottom of the conference is absolute garbage and the middle of the conference has a creamy nuogat filling.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Came to this thread late, so I'll possibly repeat some things posted in the 11 pages -- I'll look back later.

I can't speak for everyone. I feel like I have some definite B1G-hate, but I'm also among ISU fans who would've loved to join the damn conference (if an invite were even realistic) during the near-implosion of the XII. Main reason for that, though, is long-term stability.

"Hate" issues I might have, one is probably ISU-fan bias, the other personally situational:

1. I still connect ISU with the identity of the old Big 8,which is quickly becoming an obsolete assessment. In that respect, I think Big Ten gets more respect in what seem like equal situations. Hard to explain what I mean, but I'll use the '11 FB season as an example. When Big Ten was close to round-robin (and non-divisional), we saw a few seasons with a lot of teams in the mid-range knocking each other off, several teams between 3-5 & 5-3. It was seen as strength-through-parity. With Big 12 in a round-robin this season, it was similar, but I rarely heard how "competitive" the conference was. It was just a bunch of mediocre teams.

2. I have lived almost my entire post-college life in Big Ten regions (Mpls, Madison, Michigan/Indiana). Until recent years, with far more choices for out-of-area sports coverage (Fox & ESPN3, for example) that meant I was inundated with Big Ten. I still find it hard to watch a Big Ten football game, regardless of the matchup.

In all honesty, I probably have more hate about Big East and ACC basketball, and SEC football.

I admit a conference inferiority complex with a lot of this. For example, I loathe the ease with which Big Ten & Big East frequently get NCAA tournament bids for more than half its teams — but historically, Big 8/12/10 has been unimpressive as far as tournament performance (except for KU, and even then, the Jayhawks are notorious for those 1-8/1-9 second-round stumbles).

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
Hey guys, thanks for the laughs. Forwarded this thread to a bunch of people. None of which thought you guys were, in any way, jealous of Iowa.

By the way, when is ANYONE going to answer the question that was asked 800 times by Iowa fans in this thread about who the heck was claiming the Big-10 would be any good this year?

I've seen like 85 million posts on this site about the Big-10 being overhyped, yet I never hear ANYONE say the Big-10 is any good. Pretty much everyone in the media has acknowledged the conference being down lately. I don't ever speak to fans of any Big-10 team (Iowa included, except maybe a few delusional morons) that thinks the conference is very strong right now.

Where do you guys get your stuff from? Seriously, who's feeding you guys this BS? Or are you just making stuff up like you normally do?

Give it up already. The Big-10 sucks. Yeah, we know. Unfortunately, that has NOTHING to do with Iowa have a superior program to ISU. NOTHING. Talent, tradition, money, and larger fan base are the reasons. Deal with it.

Oh, and if your response is "we're not jealous of Iowa", just shut it. No one believes that. Not even you. The reason for all of these anti- Big-10 threads is because you want to justify why Iowa continually outperforms your mediocre program.

Sorry, the truth hurts sometimes. But that doesn't mean you have to make stuff up to argue. Come up with something better next time.

The leader in the clubhouse for the most insecure idiot hawk fan of the day.

I hope you get to stick around, you could be the new whatever that idiot was the other day...

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

Damn it, this guy stole the username I was going to snag and sell to the highest bidder. Could have made a fortune on this website. I guess I will have to go with WishWeWereIowa.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
1. Iowa fans, at least on HN, are in denial regarding ISU's status as a true rival. I'll never argue otherwise.

2. More of the talk regarding Wisconsin and Nebraska is found on the football forum rather than the rivals forum.

3. There is more talk about ISU than any other rival. Because ISU is our primary rival. Geography dictates that. But the game has much less impact on our season (at least most of the time).

4. Purdue is not our natural rival. Iowa and Purdue were the leftovers, as every other team had either an in-state rival, or a really historic one (Paul Bunyon's Axe, The Game).

tm, you know that you are one of the hawks on here that I think at least thinks about being embarrassed by the idiot insecure hawk fan.

The thing is that you are connecting some of the dots here, even if you don't realize it. The fact is that geographically, those of us that have interactions with the insecure idiot hawk fan on a daily basis, associate big whatever with these idiots.

It was funny, I read so many comments from the idiot insecure hawk fan about how even though the Big 12 was the number 1 conference by a sizeable margin on the computers, we shouldn't take credit because supposedly we didn't add anything to it.

Well, the fact that your conference threw you and purdue together, should let you know how important iowa is in that conference.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
I'm only concerned with the B1G in the sense that a couple victories by B1G teams would make ISU and the Big 12 stronger in the final standings. Unfortnately, the loss in the Pinstripe kind of cooled that off for me. If the Big 12 wins all of their bowls and Alabama wins... how could you say that they are #1? If A&M had beaten Arkansas it would be a bigger statement.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Because there is only room for one conference in this state and the Big 10 has polluted enough. The worse off the Big 10 is the better off the Big 12 is. Your conference having success brings more money why wouldn't you cheer on (at least most) of ypur teams? I cheer against the top teams in every conference but competing for recruits at ISU is competition more with the Big 10. Also I have to deal with Hawkidiots too often and there's no jealousy about it. Big 10 losing benefits ISU.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
And the bottom of the conference is absolute garbage and the middle of the conference has a creamy nuogat filling.

Where did I suggest otherwise? What do you think the phrase "top-heavy" means? YOU'RE the one who said "that's plain nuts" to the guy who suggested the top teams in the Big Ten aren't that bad. I didn't make any sort of case for the mid- and bottom-tier teams, just the top ones.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Where did I suggest otherwise? What do you think the phrase "top-heavy" means? YOU'RE the one who said "that's plain nuts" to the guy who suggested the top teams in the Big Ten aren't that bad. I didn't make any sort of case for the mid- and bottom-tier teams, just the top ones.

Top-heavy is struggling against other top teams.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Top-heavy is struggling against other top teams.

And I also said while the Big Ten's top teams are better than advertised, they don't quite stack up with the top teams of the SEC, and (especially this year) the Big 12. I'd give Wisconsin a solid chance against almost anyone this year, but they wouldn't have a prayer against LSU or 'Bama. And after the Badgers, it drops off in a hurry this year.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
And I also said while the Big Ten's top teams are better than advertised, they don't quite stack up with the top teams of the SEC, and (especially this year) the Big 12. I'd give Wisconsin a solid chance against almost anyone this year, but they wouldn't have a prayer against LSU or 'Bama. And after the Badgers, it drops off in a hurry this year.

I'll give you Wisconsin. Michigan's bowl game makes me angry though.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
I'll give you Wisconsin. Michigan's bowl game makes me angry though.

Michigan didn't deserve a BCS bid, and in all reality, it probably would have helped their conference bowl record had they not gotten one.

Kstate would have brought a lot of people to New Orleans, no question. They travelled well for other bowls of BS era...So the fan $$$ would have been there.

What wasn't going to be there was the TV ratings. Casual fans don't watch Kansas State. It is the same principle as ratings for us, and (gasp) iowa. You really have to have a connection to the school, or state, to tune in for those games.

Look at the orange bowl a couple years ago, TERRIBLE ratings. Ga Tech is no household name, but the mighty hawks, repping the awsome big 10, drew NOBODY outside of the state, and pockets of iowans living around the country.

An average person in Tampa isn't going to watch an Iowa State, or an iowa, or a Kansas State game, unless they have some connection to those schools. They would, however, watch UT or OU, or Mich or O$U or child rape u play or Alabama or LSU, because they have been on TV forever and people are used to them...

Advertising dollars are a big deal, and you have to have ratings to get the $$$

Reactions: NATEizKING

Help Support Us

Become a patron