Big Televen Exposed (Again)

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
As much as I enjoy it, I am a little bored of watching the Big Televen Champion get blown out in the BCS Title game and the Rose Bowl. Can we start to put more emphasis on strength of schedule and encourage the pollsters to stop dead horsing the Big Televen? I understand getting blown out in the Rose Bowl is a tradition and I am willing to meet them half way. Give them the Rose Bowl and let them rock paper scissors their way to a conference championship and leave the title games for those that deserve it.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Not likely to change until we have a playoff system. And that will never happen.

jferg

Sep 13, 2007
It bugs me how they are able to back into these bowl games every year. If no one had to play a conference championship game, then Ohio State would have played in the Rose Bowl and Illinois could have gone to a bowl where they could have actually competed.

Its no wonder the Big 10 is so against a playoff system. Every year they can sit around while other teams are still playing and then just get given two BCS games.

Schleesucks

Mar 7, 2007
As much as I enjoy it, I am a little bored of watching the Big Televen Champion get blown out in the BCS Title game and the Rose Bowl. Can we start to put more emphasis on strength of schedule and encourage the pollsters to stop dead horsing the Big Televen? I understand getting blown out in the Rose Bowl is a tradition and I am willing to meet them half way. Give them the Rose Bowl and let them rock paper scissors their way to a conference championship and leave the title games for those that deserve it.

How do you explain the Fiesta Bowl? Was that the Big12 getting exposed? Cap1 bowl? Was that the Big 10 exposing the SEC? It was 1 game.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
When Kansas was still undefeated the national media was complaining about their soft schedule. Can someone explain to me how tOSU's was any better and we don't hear a peep about it. I guess they just assume the Big10 is tough because it always is, right?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
It bugs me how they are able to back into these bowl games every year. If no one had to play a conference championship game, then Ohio State would have played in the Rose Bowl and Illinois could have gone to a bowl where they could have actually competed.

Its no wonder the Big 10 is so against a playoff system. Every year they can sit around while other teams are still playing and then just get given two BCS games.

That is a great point! I just can't believe that Missouri was penalized for playing in a conference championship! They beat KU...lose the conference title game...KU gets a better bowl? KU did themselves proud...but it isn't right!

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Re: I love it!

This is tricky...stick with a consistent winning coach who cant win the championship, or move onto an unknown who may take years to get back to this record?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It bugs me how they are able to back into these bowl games every year.

Ok, I've explained this before. They didn't back into anything! they played 12 games just like everyone else did, their schedule just happens to end 2 weeks before everyone else's but they still played just as many games as everyone else. If they had lost their last game just like all the other teams in contention did in their last game they wouldn't be in that game. They were 11-1, they earned the right to be there. Yes it sucks they have got blown out 2 years in a row now but who else do you think would have played a closer game against LSU? Kansas? No way and Mizzou should have been in a BCS game not KU. Hawaii was unbeaten and got killed, USC, VT, Georgia, and OU all had 2 losses and half of them got beat in their bowl games.

You put in a playoff system and I liked USC and Mizzou's chances. But with the current system in place OSU earned the right to be there. It's not perfect but all it would have taken is for a couple games to have a different outcome in the last week and OSU would not have been in the title game.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

This is tricky...stick with a consistent winning coach who cant win the championship, or move onto an unknown who may take years to get back to this record?

Boy, that would be something. He consistently wins the big 10. Consistently beats their arch-rival. Routinely goes the BCS and has played in 3 of 10 (?) national championship games.

That would be quite the move to kick him to the curb simply because "he's only won one national championship"

Wouldn't put it past tOSU however.

BTW, isn't Gene Smith, formerly of ISU, the AD there? I'd say Tressel is safe.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

I guess people forgot that he won a national title back in 2003 (2002 season I guess.) huh? I'd take a coach that got my team to the national title game 3 times in the past 6 years and is 73-15 since he took the job in 2001 and also has won 4 conference titles in 7 years. I love it how people here can rip on other schools when I'd do anything to take that kind of success here at ISU.

jferg

Sep 13, 2007
they played 12 games just like everyone else did, their schedule just happens to end 2 weeks before everyone else's but they still played just as many games as everyone else.

Thats true, but would Ohio State have played last night if the season ended on November 17th like it did for them? I understand that the other teams in contention for the NC should have won their conference championships, but do you feel confident that Ohio State could have beaten another Big 10 team if they would have played again? What if they would of played Wisconsin, Illinois, or Michigan one more time?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

I guess people forgot that he won a national title back in 2003 (2002 season I guess.) huh? I'd take a coach that got my team to the national title game 3 times in the past 6 years and is 73-15 since he took the job in 2001 and also has won 4 conference titles in 7 years. I love it how people here can rip on other schools when I'd do anything to take that kind of success here at ISU.

Im not ripping on them. I give them alot of credit to be where they are regardless of loss. I wonder how ISU would have done against either team. =)

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

I know they did - however I also watched the game and it took one of the worst PI calls EVER in OT for them to win it. They might have the trophy - but in my book they're 0-3.

Nobody is going to discredit OSU and the program they have. But when you walk around with the arrogance of their fanbase and everyone of their athletes constantly doing the "THE Ohio State University"... Plus if you've ever been there and have to listen to that damn "O H" "I O" chant incessently.

Well, there's going to be some animosity.

If you're going to present yourself as something really special - well you really better be.

(you being OSU, not you) :wink:

That being said - no way they should realistically be even considering firing Tressel. But again, they might just be that arrogant....

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
How do you explain the Fiesta Bowl? Was that the Big12 getting exposed? Cap1 bowl? Was that the Big 10 exposing the SEC? It was 1 game.

The Big XII wasn't exposed - Oklahoma and Stoops were exposed. Ever since he won the title earlier in the decade he's done absolutely nothing. Meanwhile, Texas won a NC in 2006 and KU won their BCS game this year, and although it wasn't a BCS game, Mizzou ran Arkansas into the ground in the Cotton Bowl. It's Oklahoma that's giving the Big XII a bad name, not the entire conference being exposed. And seriously - besides Michigan hanging on to beat Florida this year, what has the Big 10 done in recent memory?

Jables22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2007
Did you hear Kirk Herbstreit after the game? He said public perception has the Big11 somwhere between Conf USA and the MAC. Not sure I agree with him, but pretty funny.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
The Big 10 wasn't pathetic in bowl season. But when you consider not being pathetic is your best bowl showing in years, maybe your conf is overrated.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Ok, I've explained this before. They didn't back into anything! they played 12 games just like everyone else did,

Everyone else in the title picture played 13 games. That's the point. If the BCS was decided after everyone played 12 games then tOSU wouldn't be there.