Big Televen Exposed (Again)

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Re: I love it!

I know they did - however I also watched the game and it took one of the worst PI calls EVER in OT for them to win it. They might have the trophy - but in my book they're 0-3.

Nobody is going to discredit OSU and the program they have. But when you walk around with the arrogance of their fanbase and everyone of their athletes constantly doing the "THE Ohio State University"... Plus if you've ever been there and have to listen to that damn "O H" "I O" chant incessently.

Well, there's going to be some animosity.

If you're going to present yourself as something really special - well you really better be.

(you being OSU, not you) :wink:

That being said - no way they should realistically be even considering firing Tressel. But again, they might just be that arrogant....

Having a dad that went to OSU I have to disagree a little with some of this. They were doing the O-H I-O chant back for a LONG time. How's it any different than what everyone else does like us and our Cyclone Power chant? I'm sure others find that one annoying, especially considering we can't sustain winning over a long period of time. And they've always been referred to as THE Ohio State University. They have a rich football tradition and history and they have every right to be proud of it. I would be too if ISU could boast the kind of program they have.

Just check out their Wiki page and you'll see what I mean: Ohio State Buckeyes football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There is a ton of content on there and not many schools can touch the accomplishments and accolades that football program has had. They haven't just been good in the past decade, they almost always have good football and they have an all-time winning percentage of .692. People love to hate them because they are jealous of what they have.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
It's not really the number of games played. And it's not specifically OSU.

The point, to me, is that the Big 10 and even the Pac 10 get a break by not having a conf championship. Conferences like the Big 12 and the SEC usually will have one of their top 2 teams take a fall in the final week. Very often dropping them out of BCS contention, ie Mizzou this year.

The Big 10 doesn't have that. Heck, even last year they were talking about the possibility of 2 Big 10 teams playing in the national championship in OSU and Michigan. Our conferences that would NEVER happen because the game was played in the conf championship.

Teams without a conf championship have a distinct advantage in getting to the title game. Kinda shows when you consider that only 2 (??) of the title games haven't had either OSU or USC in them. Upsets happen, especially in (conf) championships games (see WVU) and against better opponents.

The Big 10 and Pac 10 take care of that risk by simply not playing the game.

Edit: man that 2 was way off. What the heck was I thinking. But they have played in 6 of them.

Last edited:

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
The Big 10 wasn't pathetic in bowl season. But when you consider not being pathetic is your best bowl showing in years, maybe your conf is overrated.

what does it take to be considered pathetic? they beat one ranked team in florida (carrs last game so i would hope they would outplay their potential a la us against mizzou in macs last game), a last second field goal for purdont to beat central michigan, and penn state beating a 6-6 a&m team. michigan state and wisconsin lost close games, but they lost. illinois got blown out, ohio state wasn't as close as the score would indicate, and indiana got blown out by okie state. pretty weak sauce by my standards.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
It's not really the number of games played. And it's not specifically OSU.

The point, to me, is that the Big 10 and even the Pac 10 get a break by not having a conf championship. Conferences like the Big 12 and the SEC usually will have one of their top 2 teams take a fall in the final week. Very often dropping them out of BCS contention, ie Mizzou this year.

The Big 10 doesn't have that. Heck, even last year they were talking about the possibility of 2 Big 10 teams playing in the national championship in OSU and Michigan. Our conferences that would NEVER happen because the game was played in the conf championship.

Teams without a conf championship have a distinct advantage in getting to the title game. Kinda shows when you consider that only 2 (??) of the title games haven't had either OSU or USC in them. Upsets happen, especially in (conf) championships games (see WVU) and against better opponents.

The Big 10 and Pac 10 take care of that risk by simply not playing the game.

I'll give the Pac 10 a slight pass as they play a true round robin schedule, but I hear what you're saying with the Big 10.

Schleesucks

Mar 7, 2007
It's Oklahoma that's giving the Big XII a bad name, not the entire conference being exposed.

And, for kicks, what exactly does Iowa State bring to the table in the Big 12? Seriously listen to yourself. Oklahoma giving the Big12 a bad name? Classic. Your post is nothing but one persons slanted opinion for the sake of argument.

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
OSU is now 0-9 all time against the SEC in bowl games. Sad. I hope someday they stop getting put in situations to get blown out when I want to watch a good game.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
And, for kicks, what exactly does Iowa State bring to the table in the Big 12? Seriously listen to yourself. Oklahoma giving the Big12 a bad name? Classic. Your post is nothing but one persons slanted opinion for the sake of argument.

i think he was referring to the big 12's bowl performance this year, and since we obviously didn't make a bowl, we would have little impact on that facet-much like your hawkeyes with the big ten

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX

I know they did - however I also watched the game and it took one of the worst PI calls EVER in OT for them to win it. They might have the trophy - but in my book they're 0-3.

Nobody is going to discredit OSU and the program they have. But when you walk around with the arrogance of their fanbase and everyone of their athletes constantly doing the "THE Ohio State University"... Plus if you've ever been there and have to listen to that damn "O H" "I O" chant incessently.

Well, there's going to be some animosity.

If you're going to present yourself as something really special - well you really better be.

(you being OSU, not you) :wink:

That being said - no way they should realistically be even considering firing Tressel. But again, they might just be that arrogant....

I agree about the pass interference call, totally bogus.
But at least they know how to spell! OH IO!

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

Having a dad that went to OSU I have to disagree a little with some of this. They were doing the O-H I-O chant back for a LONG time. How's it any different than what everyone else does like us and our Cyclone Power chant? I'm sure others find that one annoying, especially considering we can't sustain winning over a long period of time. And they've always been referred to as THE Ohio State University. They have a rich football tradition and history and they have every right to be proud of it. I would be too if ISU could boast the kind of program they have.

Just check out their Wiki page and you'll see what I mean: Ohio State Buckeyes football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There is a ton of content on there and not many schools can touch the accomplishments and accolades that football program has had. They haven't just been good in the past decade, they almost always have good football and they have an all-time winning percentage of .692. People love to hate them because they are jealous of what they have.

Well it's this simple Trav- You like them. I don't.

And I never said any of their stuff is new and they don't have reason to be proud of their team and school. Don't care how LONG they've called themselves "THE OSU". It's dumb. Just like 'The U' at Miami is.

The "O-H-I-O" thing is annoying as hell (was at the Toledo game this year). Right up there with the K-S-U thing at K-State and that damn lion roar at PSU.

Would I like to have their level of accomplishment? Sure. Would I want to BE them. About as much as I'd like to BE iowa.

So why don't I like them? I find their fans beyond obnoxious, they're in the Big 10 (see my post above about how the defacto back into championship games) and they haven't delivered - yet get an inordinate amount of respect.

Plus - they didn't cover my LSU by 7-10 prop bet last night. :mask:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

So tell me what exactly EIU's done for the Big 10 in the last 5 years???

You want to talk about slanted opinions? You can't get over your own bias to admit that the Big 10 has been total garbage over the last several years. Even SouthernHawk and JohnDMiller will admit that...

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Everyone else in the title picture played 13 games. That's the point. If the BCS was decided after everyone played 12 games then tOSU wouldn't be there.

OK, so say they did play a conference championship game and won. Especially with the Big 10 not being that great this year I'm pretty sure they still would have won it, there would still be people here saying they don't belong in the BCS title game. That's just the way the BCS works right now. It's not a perfect system and it's driven by money. A true playoff system would end a lot of the debates but you'd still have people saying this team or that doesn't belong in the field or someone got snubbed.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
Travman, why does OSU going 11-1 mean they earned their way into the national title game but you say KU, also at 11-1, shouldn't have been in a BCS game at all? What's the difference? Both played weak schedules but OSU lost at home and KU lost at a neutral site to a much better team than OSU did. You can't have it both ways.

People don't hate OSU because they're jealous of their accomplishments but because they can take advantage of a crappy system and weak schedule to luck their way into the title game every year.

rd4isu

Apr 11, 2006
OK, so say they did play a conference championship game and won. Especially with the Big 10 not being that great this year I'm pretty sure they still would have won it, there would still be people here saying they don't belong in the BCS title game. That's just the way the BCS works right now. It's not a perfect system and it's driven by money. A true playoff system would end a lot of the debates but you'd still have people saying this team or that doesn't belong in the field or someone got snubbed.

The point is many people are tired of hearing about how great of a conference the Big 10 is, tired of them getting over-ranked in preseason bowls allowing them to glide into the NC game and tired of their comissioner blowing smoke about how morally superior they are. So when the Big 10 gets a beat down like they received in their BCS bowls this year, people like myself find it quite amusing.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Travman, why does OSU going 11-1 mean they earned their way into the national title game but you say KU, also at 11-1, shouldn't have been in a BCS game at all? What's the difference? Both played weak schedules but OSU lost at home and KU lost at a neutral site to a much better team than OSU did. You can't have it both ways.

People don't hate OSU because they're jealous of their accomplishments but because they can take advantage of a crappy system and weak schedule to luck their way into the title game every year.

Again, its not a perfect system. Heck even KU couldn't take advantage of their weak schedule to make it to the Big 12 title game. OSU won their conference, yes I know there was no title game but they still won it based on how their conference works. I'll agree with the notion that the Big 10 is over-rated but they still beat 4 teams that were ranked at the time and their 1 loss was to a team that made it to a BCS game (maybe not deserved it but Illinois did make it.) KU beat 1 ranked team that finished 5-7 on the year and lost to the other while playing no one better than 8-6 on their schedule outside of Mizzou. I give KU props for winning their bowl game but they still didn't deserve to be in a BCS bowl as they didn't even make the conference title game.

Everyone has their thoughts on this and until the NCAA figures out a playoff system would greatly help out all the controversies of who deserves it and who doesn't then we'll always be having discussions like this.

jbing

Dec 27, 2007
Ankeny, IA
www.jeremybingaman.com

Brilliant point.

I would agree that there is animosity towards OSU because of their tradition. I am also one that dislikes not just OSU, but the entire Big 10 because of their overall arrogance.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
i thought i heard the announcers say last night that osu hadn't beaten a team in the top 20 all year and if they had won the nc they would have been the first team to ever do that

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
i thought i heard the announcers say last night that osu hadn't beaten a team in the top 20 all year and if they had won the nc they would have been the first team to ever do that

First team in like 40 years or something like that I think.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
Again, its not a perfect system. Heck even KU couldn't take advantage of their weak schedule to make it to the Big 12 title game. OSU won their conference, yes I know there was no title game but they still won it based on how their conference works. I'll agree with the notion that the Big 10 is over-rated but they still beat 4 teams that were ranked at the time and their 1 loss was to a team that made it to a BCS game (maybe not deserved it but Illinois did make it.) KU beat 1 ranked team that finished 5-7 on the year and lost to the other while playing no one better than 8-6 on their schedule outside of Mizzou. I give KU props for winning their bowl game but they still didn't deserve to be in a BCS bowl as they didn't even make the conference title game.

Everyone has their thoughts on this and until the NCAA figures out a playoff system would greatly help out all the controversies of who deserves it and who doesn't then we'll always be having discussions like this.
Your last point is good and I'm not trying to pick on you but just trying to point out the absurdity of the system and the absurdity of definitively saying who deserved what. You can make an argument for or against just about any team that was in the BCS and quite a few that weren't. There's no logic anyone can follow that will make sense for every team.