"Big 5" Conference Automony from NCAA vote. First step in secession from NCAA?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
The NCAA BOA today agree to vote on Mike Slive (SEC's Comish) motion to give the "Big 5 Conferences automony" to govern themselves in August.

Meeting in Indianapolis, the board of directors endorsed a restructuring of the Division I legislative system in an attempt to streamline its processes. They also endorsed the general idea of providing increased autonomy to the 65 schools in the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC, providing the power conferences – referred to in the draft proposal as the “Big Fiveâ€￾ – the ability to provide athletes with unprecedented benefits and resources.
Allowing the Big Five conferences to govern themselves in those areas is a step to address the concerns of the big schools, which have boiled down to several key talking points for Slive at Monday's annual address to the Associated Press Sports Editors' Southeast Regional meeting.

• "Ensuring our student-athletes are covered for the full cost of attendance" - In essence, raising the scholarships paid to athletes to cover not only the costs of education, but also all living expenses.
  • "Creating more opportunities for student-athletes to finish their degrees if interrupted, cost-free" - Essentially, extending scholarships beyond athletic competition.
  • "Readdressing the time commitment" - Limiting the hours an athlete can spend on their sport.
  • "Fulfilling healthy, safety and nutrition needs" - Providing increased resources for student-athletes, such as the recent rule passed that allows schools to provide unlimited meals to athletes.
  • "Updating rules for agents and advisors to help better assist athletes to prepare for the transition from college to professional, not only in sports" - Changing agent rules to meet with athletes earlier. For example, Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs has been vocal about wanting to be able to provide supervised meetings for agents and players on campus.
  • "Giving student-athletes a voice and vote in NCAA decisions"
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/04/mike_slive_ncaa_big_five.html

Now the question: Is this the first logical step in the "Big 5" conferences completely breaking away from the NCAA and forming their own super conference (65 teams) in order to govern themselves?

Last edited:

TranCytive

Apr 15, 2014
Re: "Big 5" Conference Automony from NCAA vote. First step in total succession from N

Well this should be interesting.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Re: "Big 5" Conference Automony from NCAA vote. First step in total succession from N

Now the question: Is this the first logical step in the "Big 5" conferences completely breaking away from the NCAA and forming their own super conference (65 teams) in order to govern themselves?

It's 'bout to hit the fan! Glad we are on the inside of this thing!

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

I don't see it. The tax man is going to come calling if they do and none of the schools want that to happen.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis

It's about time.

I don't see it. The tax man is going to come calling if they do and none of the schools want that to happen.

Why? What makes the "new" NCAA (I know that's not technically what it is, but that's what I'm calling it for the time being) a for-profit instead of a non-profit institution.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

It's about time.

Why? What makes the "new" NCAA (I know that's not technically what it is, but that's what I'm calling it for the time being) a for-profit instead of a non-profit institution.

Because the amount of money involved. If they don't you could call any business nonprofit and just tie up the "profits" into higher salaries and capital improvement funds for anything right?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

It's about time.

Because the separation away from mid-majors and smaller conferences makes it even more obvious that it's all about the money. The tax people frown on that from "non-profit" enterprises.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

It's 'bout to hit the fan! Glad we are on the inside of this thing!

^^^ THIS.
As I was reading the article I started thinking about the Mega Thread and the possibilty of ISU athletics currently being in the MW or Big East (now AAC) if the Big 12 would have dissolved when the smoke cleared from that mess. Scary proposition.
Long live the Big 12 or at least until the Big 5 break away (and ISU is included).

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis

Because the amount of money involved. If they don't you could call any business nonprofit and just tie up the "profits" into higher salaries and capital improvement funds for anything right?

But how is that different from the current NCAA? Also, the "Big 5" could be an autonomous unit within the NCAA so it could still be under the NCAA.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City

Why the NFL is a non profit entity, pretty sure they bring in more money than the Big 5.

Reactions: GMan

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
As long as we're on the right side of the money train, that is all I care about at this point. College Football will never be the same anyway

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The NFL is a non-profit pass-through...the teams absorb the taxes (which undoubtedly helps lower each team's tax liability).

IRS "needs" collections. Non-profit statuses are one of the first things on the list to generate more tax revenue. The Big 12 Conference would still be a non-profit organization but when they dole out the media money to Iowa State that'd be taxable income.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
The NFL is a non-profit but the teams themselves are not. All profits that are from the NFL brand get distributed evenly to the teams.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Why the NFL is a non profit entity, pretty sure they bring in more money than the Big 5.

yeah, and the nfl should not be a non-profit

Pretty sure the NFL itself is a non profit, but the teams are obviously not a non profit. This seems to be a common misconception. They aren't dodging taxes or exploiting a loophole. The owners pay those taxes and the NFL is just they big umberella everyone falls under.

The owners make the money and they pay the taxes.

I'm not an expert though so I'm sure someone could give a better explanation.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

I have no doubt this new configuration will keep a non-profit status.

The union vote tomorrow is the real story I'm watching. The entire business model of college athletics is about to change one way or the other

Last edited:

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I wonder what JP thinks of this. Unless I'm mistaken, he's on record already of being against this idea, I think because ISU doesn't have the revenue to handle it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron