"Big 5" Conference Automony from NCAA vote. First step in secession from NCAA?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I can get behind all of those points made except the access to agents. If the school or athletic department wants to hire advisors for athletes that's one thing. But to allow athletes to work with agents while still competing seems to head down a slippery slope.

I just wonder what the intentions are for athletes of non-revenue sports.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Below is a link to an in-depth article analyzing the non-profit status of college athletics. If I understand correctly, the author suggests that under current law, it would be very difficult to remove the tax-exempt status of the NCAA and the universities. However, the author believes that Congress would be fully justified in passing laws could allow taxation of the revenue generated by college football and men's basketball, because major college FB and MBB do not meet the underlying theories for tax exemption.

Now, the question is whether the US House and Senate would ever have the fortitude to enact such laws. It could be political suicide. How dire does the Federal budget situation have to get before Congress goes after this ripe revenue stream?

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1336727##

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Looks to me a Big Five scholly will be prized much more than for the other MWC and Big East schools. Should help recruiting.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Re: "Big 5" Conference Automony from NCAA vote. First step in total succession from N

I don't see it. The tax man is going to come calling if they do and none of the schools want that to happen.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they looked into that well before making a move. This is a multi billion dollar business, I doubt something as obvious as federal intervention was completely glossed over.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
If anyone thinks this will benefit more than 30-35 schools in the end they're kidding themselves. The Alabamas, Texas' and USC's of the world will be able to have free reign over their conference mates if each league can set their own standards. Sure, "all the schools" in said conference will be involved in the "discussion", but you know damn well how that will play out. Any sport that doesn't end in ootball will come secondary, as it does now. That sucks for the Kansas' and Indiana's of the world.

Last edited:

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
If anyone thinks this will benefit more than 30-35 schools in the end they're kidding themselves. The Alabamas, Texas' and USC's of the world will be able to have free reign over their conference mates if each league can set their own standards. Sure, "all the schools" in said conference will be involved in the "discussion", but you know damn well how that will play out. Any sport that doesn't end in ootball will come secondary, as it does now. That sucks for the Kansas' and Indiana's of the world.
No they won't, full cost of attendance is a federally reported number and for almost all schools it is around $3000 per year.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
Re: "Big 5" Conference Automony from NCAA vote. First step in total succession from N

I don't see it. The tax man is going to come calling if they do and none of the schools want that to happen.
You clearly don't get it.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
We are lucky to be on the inside looking out. However, among the teams on the inside, we will be at the low end, and we won't be able to offer all of the amenities that Texas, Alabama, etc will be offering. And those big dogs will be offering amenities because the current restrictions will be loosened.

We'll get to swim in the big pond, but we'll be among the smaller fish.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
We are lucky to be on the inside looking out. However, among the teams on the inside, we will be at the low end, and we won't be able to offer all of the amenities that Texas, Alabama, etc will be offering. And those big dogs will be offering amenities because the current restrictions will be loosened.

True. But this would help us in recruiting battles against the Houstons and UCFs of the world. Battles we currently lose as often as we win. A net benefit for ISU. Though I would worry about the impact to other sports.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
2441702-0720251747-origi.gif

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

We don't recruit now against TX or Bama on an even playing field. Why does this matter? Can only play 11 players at a time

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I admit the NFL as a non profit is a bad example. So let's think of it another way. If the 65 break away and lose their nonprofit status what is the effect? While I think most of us would be concerned with the revenues from the media deals. It would be the athletes that would suffer. As I think this would cause everything they receive to become taxable. Correct me if I am wrong.

So just talking football and MBB. You have 5,525 football scholarships and 845 basketball scholarships. Roughly no more than 400 of them go on to play professional sports per year so of the 6k+ that played this past year less than 1600 of them will play professionally. This doesn't include all the none revenue sports supported by football and MBB. Find it hard to believe the government would pull nonprofit status based on the fact that the ADs are still meeting their stated goal.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

If you don't make any money you don't have to pay taxes. I am sure they can find ways to spend the money to break even every year.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

How is that different than now?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I wonder what ND and BYU think of this.

The key to this whole thing is oversight. They're going to have to have a strong central committee and punishments. If there are not set rules, the SEC is going to go crazy offering recruits money.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I wonder what ND and BYU think of this.

The key to this whole thing is oversight. They're going to have to have a strong central committee and punishments. If there are not set rules, the SEC is going to go crazy offering recruits money.

Again how is that any different than now?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron