Big 12 will have 12 teams by next season...

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I have a 3/4 glass full of beer, but I feel like I must have a full glass just to say it's full. But...I have no beer, oh, whatever shall I do?

Ah ha! I'll just add water to it...brilliant!

This is by far the best analogy I have read to date regarding this situation.

For all of you that think 10 teams is great, unequal revenue sharing is great and that the Big 12 Network is unnecessary I hope you realize this conference is not going to last 5 more years without changes to all of the above.

Did you guys see the new article regarding A&M? Amazing some people do not get the very thin line that is holding the Big 12 together. Without MAJOR changes to this conference, it will be doomed in the very near future.

captain7cf

Dec 28, 2007
I think that chip browns last article on adding Arkansas and ND on realignment has some legs but I think it depends on ND football this year and next... if kelly brings them back to their golden years then this conference talk is irrelevant..

ND because Deloss is the mentor to NDs AD.. I think that he use work for Deloss.... Also they would be allowed start their own network u if they would join the B12.... B10 they have to forfeit that right.... Then a 12th team would ride their coat tails....

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
For all of you that think 10 teams is great, unequal revenue sharing is great and that the Big 12 Network is unnecessary I hope you realize this conference is not going to last 5 more years without changes to all of the above.

Did you guys see the new article regarding A&M? Amazing some people do not get the very thin line that is holding the Big 12 together. Without MAJOR changes to this conference, it will be doomed in the very near future.

The A&M article is nothing. They will never go anywhere without Texas and Texas is not going to ever join the SEC.

Bunch of posturing is all.

10 teams is fine. In fact it is better than 12 because you can play a true round robin and the payouts per team are higher.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I have a 3/4 glass full of beer, but I feel like I must have a full glass just to say it's full. But...I have no beer, oh, whatever shall I do?

Ah ha! I'll just add water to it...brilliant!

Given the options that have been posted here, it might be more like peeing in your 3/4 full glass of beer...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

A&M is bumping their gums. Nothing more.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The A&M article is nothing. They will never go anywhere without Texas and Texas is not going to ever join the SEC.

Bunch of posturing is all.

Exactly. The were some big boosters who wanted A&M in the SEC, and this big talk is just an attempt to pacify them.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Exactly. The were some big boosters who wanted A&M in the SEC, and this big talk is just an attempt to pacify them.
I hope ISU just gives them the middle finger if they look for more money.

TexasTwister

Jul 28, 2010
The Big D
I would love to have A&M in the SEC. My wife is a grad and we go to a lot of games each season. Nothing like watching a game at Kyle field, although their "yells" and whatever are kinda weird if you ask me. (shh, don't tell my wife I said that.) I'd love to see some SEC teams come to town and also travel to some away games.

One of the first games I went to at Kyle field was in 2005 when ISU came to town and pounded the Aggs. My wife was so upset. I basically sat their in my seat quiet the whole time.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Don't get your dissing of A&M - they're a top-notch academic and research school, huge fan base, great facilities, and excellent sports programs across the board. They would be wanted by any conference, including the SEC.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
In order to get worthwhile teams to join the Big XII, our conference will have to poach them from other BCS conferences, just like the Pac 10 and Big 10 did to us. In order to poach these teams we need to have unbeatable financial incentives. This will never happen as long as revenue is divided unfairly and one team (Texas) basically calls the shots. In its current state, the Big XII is not an attractive conference for any school (except maybe Memphis).

I would love to get Illinois, and LSU but we would have to offer CRAZY money (which would wouldn't have) for these teams to consider leaving. These schools would also have to feel like valued members rather than Texas surfs. I am not sure even BYU would jump at the chance to join the Big XII, especially since the MWC is set to be BCS in 2013. Why play second fiddle to Texas when you could be top dog of a major conference in a few years?

As Long as the Horns are in charge I don't see the Big XII getting any bigger. :no:

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
When you look at the figures there really isn't that much difference between the top and bottom in TV revenues. That whole thing has been blown out of proportion. Texas has something that other schools don't have in the Big 10. Unbelievable recruiting grounds that open up when you are in the same conference. Look at Arkansas. They were something back when they could recruit Texas. Now their nothing but an average team in the SEC...if that. The Big 12 has two things to sell potential universities that other conferences don't have. The hottest recruiting ground in the country and a chance to have your own TV network.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Don't get your dissing of A&M - they're a top-notch academic and research school, huge fan base, great facilities, and excellent sports programs across the board. They would be wanted by any conference, including the SEC.

I'm not dissing A&M, I'm dissing the whiny, crybaby, envious-of-UT faction of their fanbase, which unfortunately for them, seems to be growing...

basketball13

Aug 12, 2008
I hope ISU just gives them the middle finger if they look for more money.
A&M is one of the main reasons the Big 12 is still together. If A&M would have gone to the SEC, the Big 12 would have fallen apart and Iowa State would be in a lesser conference. "Our revenue share from the Big 12 this year is $9.2 million. In the new agreement, we will have a base of $20 million," that is straight from Bill Byrne the A&M AD after the "deal." It's like I explained to someone today, you have a choice between Job A which is where you have always been with your friends, you have a high status, and are comfortable in this environment, and Job B which is a little more prestigious but offers equal money. You have to choose if you want to remain comfortable with your comrades or go into an unknown in a more prestigious but also more difficult company where you could lose your higher status. A&M chose job A based on the equal amount of money that was guaranteed by Beebe. Why would you want to stay working for a boss that could not hold up his promises, when there is another equal or possibly better offer on the table. Beebe is a snake that offered his soul in order to keep his job, and A&M is calling his bluff on his recent talks about the money.

I will agree that it is posturing at the current time, but if Beebe doesn't follow through then A&M will explore its options and will have valid reasons for leaving.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
A&M is one of the main reasons the Big 12 is still together.

I will agree that it is posturing at the current time, but if Beebe doesn't follow through then A&M will explore its options and will have valid reasons for leaving.

Wrong, UT's decision to stay in the B12 and OU's decision to follow suit are THE reasons why the B12 survived. The SEC would only take A&M if UT or OU came along with them. There was also immense political pressure within Texas for the B12 to survive.

The A&M president looks like a stupid fool trying to still use the SEC as leverage to possibly bolt the B12 if they don't get their share of CU's and NU's penalty money. And there has been absolutely nothing to suggest that they won't get their money.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
A&M is one of the main reasons the Big 12 is still together. If A&M would have gone to the SEC, the Big 12 would have fallen apart and Iowa State would be in a lesser conference.

Exactly. And the Aggies joining the SEC, and then the Big 12 collapsing, was closer to happening than people think.

basketball13

Aug 12, 2008
Wrong, UT's decision to stay in the B12 and OU's decision to follow suit are THE reasons why the B12 survived. The SEC would only take A&M if UT or OU came along with them. There was also immense political pressure within Texas for the B12 to survive.

The A&M president looks like a stupid fool trying to still use the SEC as leverage to possibly bolt the B12 if they don't get their share of CU's and NU's penalty money. And there has been absolutely nothing to suggest that they won't get their money.
The Big 12 sticking together was contingent on A&M staying, otherwise with only 9 members and with SEC and Big 10 expansion, Texas, Tech, OU, and OSU would have joined the Pac-10. I know Texas tried to play the hero for saving the conference but in reality it was more A&M, but all 3 played major roles in keeping it together.

The SEC would have gladly taken A&M by itself to get into the Texas markets, while going after Virginia Tech to get to 14. A&M's offer wasn't contingent on Texas or OU. Texas didn't even have an SEC offer because it is known that Texas wouldn't join. The SEC would take OU, but would be happy to have Virginia Tech join which would bring in the Virginia and DC markets. If they got these two and wanted to extend to 16 they would go after UNC and Duke, to solidify the top football and basketball conference in the country.

Like I said in an earlier post, it was mainly just posturing and holding Beebe accountable for the time being.
From the Dallas Morning News, 'Texas A&M has nothing to worry about regarding the guarantee of at least $20 million in Big 12 revenue distribution, commissioner Dan Beebe said this afternoon. "The commitment to Texas A&M was made and it still stands," Beebe said in a statement. "We did not have the luxury of time during the crisis to sort out the details, but that will be addressed in the future."'
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/07/beebe-big-12s-commitment-to-am-stands.html

Last edited:

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Is anybody familiar with U of Houston? Do they even make up 5% of fans in Texas? Are they just a city school that has fans in the Houston Metro? What are they like academically?

2XaDime

Nov 4, 2009
Iowa City
While I find this kind of discussion to be a lot of fun to participate in and read, I am perpetually baffled by the trait shared by many sports fanatics who speak consistently with steadfast authority on what certain things that will absolutely, positively, without a doubt, in no possible way will not ever, and I mean never-ever-forever-and-ever-Amen NEVER happen in the wide world of sports.

Are you kidding me? This is sports we're talking about. Anything can happen, on or off the field. Last year at this time, if one of us predicted that ISU will beat Nebraska at Nebraska in 2009, I'm sure many of us would have said that that would NEVER happen. At the end of the 4-win season in 1999, how many of us would have rallied in support around the brave soul who predicted that not only would ISU play in a bowl game again, but would do so the very next year and win, with a season ending in 9 victories? Or how 'bout them Hawks? Sure, after 15 years of obediently taking repeated crotch-punches from our good friends from Iowa City, many of us believed that we may eventually get a win against the Hawkeyes, but if someone said we'd teach them lessons in humility 5 seasons in a row, I'm sure the word "never" would have escaped more than one Cyclone fan's mouth.

Of course, we're talking about conference conquest here, and which teams may or may not join the Big 12, and whether or not the Big 12 will grow or implode or just stay as it is. But I thought one of the most important parts of sports was teaching lessons for life. Well, here's the lesson I learned from Sports: Anything is possible. The only predictions that are crazy are the ones that use the word "never".

'nuff said?

Ok, here's my prediction: The next teams to join the big 12 will be Luther College and DMACC!

Well, maybe there are SOME things that will never happen.....:wink:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Is anybody familiar with U of Houston? Do they even make up 5% of fans in Texas? Are they just a city school that has fans in the Houston Metro? What are they like academically?

THE BIG 12. WILL NOT. ADD A TEAM. FROM TEXAS. OR OKLAHOMA. EVER.

Houston, or TCU, or Tulsa, or SMU, or Rice or anyone does nothing but hurt the Big 12.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron