Big 12 Send Cease and Desist to ESPN

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Cease and desist letters work when the sender is a huge and rich corporation looking to intimidate and bully someone with less resources who can't really afford a legal fight. In this case the letter was sort of big joke other than having the Big 12 appear to be doing something. It's both funny and sad.

Last edited:

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Letter seems extremely unprofessional, especially the "Dear Bob" and the "in regards to" part.

I'm suppose to believe some tool named "Burke" over the Big 12 commish? George Carlin would have had a field day with that name.

Sounds like a dork that graduated from the UCONN school of business in '08 and has quickly climbed the corporate ladder.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Cease and desist letters work when the sender is a huge and rich corporation looking to intimidate and bully someone with less resources who can't really afford a legal fight. In this case the letter was sort of big joke other than having the Big 12 appear to be doing something. It's funny sad.
You’re right, if you actually expect the cease and desist to be the end of the issue. But you can’t take the case to civil court without first taking a step to resolve the issue outside of court. This is the legal first step.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Cease and desist letters work when the sender is a huge and rich corporation looking to intimidate and bully someone with less resources who can't really afford a legal fight. In this case the letter was sort of big joke other than having the Big 12 appear to be doing something. It's both funny and sad.

The potential payoff of a lawsuit is more than large enough to draw an elite legal team, and the potential losses to be suffered are more than large enough for these schools to pay them.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
You’re right, if you actually expect the cease and desist to be the end of the issue. But you can’t take the case to civil court without first taking a step to resolve the issue outside of court. This is the legal first step.
It’s not going to court

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
You can hope!
Does anyone know what the fiscal conditions are for them joining the SEC? That would be very revealing.

I ask because there's no way on earth 'fiscal' discussions could've taken place between the SEC and TX/OK without their financial partner in the room. UNLESS this strategy was previously arranged within the league contract 'at-the-time' of agreement of said contract which I, highly doubt.

There have been very high profile cases decided based on overwhelming circumstantial evidence. So, from my perspective (which admittedly is as a strategist), ESPN could be over the barrel. And with Disney as ESPN's parent, reputation is probably their biggest asset. Tarnish ESPN, tarnish Disney. If this gets illegal enough, look for much higher settlements.

And, for crying out loud, where is the government in all this? A high school kid forgoing senior year to start their NIL? A whole new labor pool is emerging which will require collective bargaining agreements, higher insurance, special interests, additional marketing, higher bribes ... all at the expense of an athletes education. What has this world come to?

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
As I continue to follow this closely, one thing emerges above all others: NIL. Currently, the NCAA regulates student athlete requirements. But, if a kid can forego high school to start college, where do entrance requirements fit? And, if the NCAA ceases to exist in the emerging paradigm, who is going to govern the student athletes education? I can see, an attempt at complete separation from education where the amateur NFL team is associated, by name only, with the University. In my life, I've never seen anything like this attempted in any industry. We will really find out what our government is made of on this one.

BeTheCyclone

Oct 19, 2010
As I continue to follow this closely, one thing emerges above all others: NIL. Currently, the NCAA regulates student athlete requirements. But, if a kid can forego high school to start college, where do entrance requirements fit? And, if the NCAA ceases to exist in the emerging paradigm, who is going to govern the student athletes education? I can see, an attempt at complete separation from education where the amateur NFL team is associated, by name only, with the University. In my life, I've never seen anything like this attempted in any industry. We will really find out what our government is made of on this one.

There won’t be a thing called student athletes anymore. Just athletes as part of a business venture for the universities.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
If Bowlsby's story is true, one thing I am wondering is how much money ESPN was offering the AAC and how they instructed them to lure the Big 12 schools. The Big 12 schools would have the option to stay in the Big 12 if no one else left so the AAC would have to make a worthwhile offer.