Best Iowa State point guard

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
As well as Brandon Hawkins, Shane Power Tyray Pearson, Richard Evans etc, etc, etc.

Shirley was the only one on that team, other than Tinsley, to sniff the league.

In Tinsley’s 2 seasons, only Shirley, Fizer and JT played in the NBA, and he only played with Fizer one season.

In Monte’s 4 seasons, outside of Monte, Iowa State averaged 4 NBA players on the roster each year. 5 if you count Monte.

It’s clear based on your responses you do not consider Tinsley the top dog. ****, it’s almost as if you don’t even like him. Whatever floats your boat, but I think it’s pretty clear Iowa State accomplished more with less during Tinsely’s two years than any other player in Iowa State history.
Another wrinkle to add to the debate is Monte had the luxury of playing in an offensive system for his career while I'm pretty sure LE's idea of offense was Jamaal breaking his guy down, getting into the paint and making something happen. The rest of the focus was on defense and rebounding.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
It's pretty easy to guess ages in this thread based on responses...those that didn't live through/attend games during Tinsley's insanely amazing couple of years almost nonchalantly throw him to the side when discussing #1.
I am 55 and I watched all ISU games. Tinsley did some great things but he could have done better if he cared. I mostly blame Tinsley for the loss against Hampton. He committed several TOs with 11 points lead then he shot the ball with 1 point lead instead of running out the clock

• Haha
Reactions: Billups06

ntxcyclone

Nov 16, 2013
I'm taking the 99/00 team over any team in terms of just having to win a game.

The 00/01 team was great in some ways but not automatically better than all of the teams we've had under the past three coaches. You also can't ignore that the Big 12 is a LOT tougher now than it used to be. Several of our 12-6 teams were good enough to be Big 12 champs back when the league had more dead weight at the bottom...I mean Baylor is easily a top 10 program now with an NC and they were a doormat back then, the league is like SEC football now or maybe even more competitive.
I would def take the 96-97 team. I think that was the most complete team maybe ever in cyclone history. They weren’t as talented as the Fizer &Tinsley team, but the team was tough and everyone fit perfectly in their role. Great on defense and enough offense to win. That team losing to UCLA crushed me.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I am 55 and I watched all ISU games. Tinsley did some great things but he could have done better if he cared. I mostly blame Tinsley for the loss against Hampton. He committed several TOs with 11 points lead then he shot the ball with 1 point lead instead of running out the clock
Dude didn’t care and won two big 12 regular season titles? I’ll take it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I felt like I had to watch it to get an understanding of the low moments I was too young to experience. I refuse to watch any of the UAB replay though. Was in Florida for spring break during college, and our group had it arranged that we were going to stop in Louisville on the drive back and watch the second round game. I think that was the darkest day of my ISU fandom so far

The '01 loss was harder. That was prior to all of the parity in college basketball so a 2 was essentially a shoe in to win the first round game. I didn't like ISU's odds of making a run but it was truly shocking when it happened.

UAB was like watching a slow motion car wreck and it was tough but that kind of game wasn't new for that group.

I didn't watch much more of the tourney at all after the '01 loss and I was back on the horse by Saturday after UAB.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Another wrinkle to add to the debate is Monte had the luxury of playing in an offensive system for his career while I'm pretty sure LE's idea of offense was Jamaal breaking his guy down, getting into the paint and making something happen. The rest of the focus was on defense and rebounding.

Agree. Love Monte, but he played with a lot of NBA talent. Tinsley? Fizer. Loved Horton, Stevie and Nurse though. Those were some dudes.

CyclonePigskin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2010
DSM
I thought this thread was going to be about LIpsey v. Gilbert, particularly with how Gilbert steps up when Lipsey is out. I love having two players who can function exceptionally well at point guard.
Add Curtis Jones to the list.

Reactions: Cycsk

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I firmly believe that if Haliburton wanted to do flashy plays that Tinsley did to inferior opponents, he could have done it too. He just chose not to do it.
Have to remember. Tyrese only played a little over 1 season here, and he played off guard most of the full season as a freshmen.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
That's a good list. I'd add Ron Bayless. He wouldn't be in Tinsley/Morris/Hali tier, but he was a really good player. He and Justis Thigpen made up one of our better backcourts that seem to get lost in the shuffle.
Thigpen's performance against Oky State and Big Country was the best individual performances I've seen live. A lot of story lines in that one, but Thigpen simply took that that game over.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Thigpen's performance against Oky State and Big Country was the best individual performances I've seen live. A lot of story lines in that one, but Thigpen simply took that that game over.
He was huge that game and his running 3 pointer at the buzzer at CU in 93 was a classic too.

JT and Bayless combined for 60 or close to it against Kentucky in the tournament. That really opened some eyes. They were a really fun duo to watch.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I would def take the 96-97 team. I think that was the most complete team maybe ever in cyclone history. They weren’t as talented as the Fizer &Tinsley team, but the team was tough and everyone fit perfectly in their role. Great on defense and enough offense to win. That team losing to UCLA crushed me.
I was there. I was happy when the game before went to OT thinking it would take the legs out of their team for the next game. But then the guy swallowing his whistle when our guy got trucked on the inbounds play and calling a quick 5 second call instead. It was hard to watch.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Agree. Love Monte, but he played with a lot of NBA talent. Tinsley? Fizer. Loved Horton, Stevie and Nurse though. Those were some dudes.
Tinsley played with Fizer who was a contender for the Wooden Award and the 4th pick in the NBA draft.

Let’s pump the brakes on all the NBA talent Monte played with. Niang had been a fixture, but Naz, Matt Thomas, Abdul Nader, and Deonte Burton were all end of bench guys or only were in the league for a cup of coffee and went overseas. Great players and love them all, but Monte wasn’t playing with 5 draft picks around him.

Reactions: madguy30

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I’d say Tinsley and Monte are interchangeable, both were great in their own way. I personally lean to Monte just because he played in the Nuggets and was my favorite Cyclone ever (so I’m biased).

I also prefer the way he played point guard, never turning the ball over while still generating offense. His assists/scoring wasn’t necessarily flashy, but when you watch that Cincinnati game today, you realize how valuable a point guard who is reliable with the ball really is.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
His handling was elite but was it better than Morris or Haliburton? I am not sure. Tinsley wowed the crowed with razzle-dazzle against inferior opponents but also turned it over much more frequently than Morris and Haliburton.
Yes. Tinley is by far the best ball handler in Iowa State history, and maybe Big 12 history.

He was considered the best ball handler in the NBA early in his career there.

He was THAT good.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron