Best Iowa High School Basketball Players Ever

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Gee only 2 have been Cyclones, yet ISU has had a better program than Iowa over that span.

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
I grew up with Ryan and played ball with him all growing up. Ryan wasn't a flashy player, but hands down the most fundamentally sound player I've ever seen play the game at the high school level. He went on to Creighton and in his freshman year he became the only player in conference history to have more steals than turnovers.....he did it all 4 years. Great shooter as well. I saw him 2 years in a row make 98 of 100 free throws in a free throw contest. Lockdown defender as well. Todd was a stud too, but he was about 6'6 so was a completely different type of player. Ryan played varsity for Ankeny as an 8th grader which is completely unheard of. I don't know if he's top 5 of all time, but he can play point for my team anytime.

Toughest 2 players I ever played against for sure were Dean Oliver, and Dave Newman out of Hoover class of 97'. That kid was NUTS! He could shake you down to the ground, and if you played off of him to drive, he would spot up and nail it. He ended up going to Northwestern, then xferring to Drake. He had alot of injuries early in his collegiate career and never panned out, but that kid was insane.

PJ Dauterive who was a Sr. on the Ankeny High team when Ryan Sears was a Jr. was incredible too. I remember he made a half court buzzer beater to beat Valley both times they played them. He was maybe the most unstoppable player I've seen. He could have gone far had it not been for major drug problems. Anyone remember him?

I graduated from Valley in 95, and the rivalry against Ankeny during those years was awesome. Valley beat Ankeny in the State Final in 93, and Ankeny returned the favor in 95.

PJ D-Bag (what we called him) was the guy we loved to hate, and I remember one of those half-court winners. I don't remember two of them, but if you say so...

Anyway, if you are going to call out PJD and the Sears brothers, then I have to mention a couple guys from the other side of the rivalry: Todd Fazio (5-foot-nothin' but a true court general and an absolute wizard ball-handler at the point) and Matt Woodley, who played at North Dakota, transferred to Drake, and is now an assistant coach at Washington State. Those guys had a way of dominating games in ways that didn't show up on stat sheets. Scott Remsburg and Jason Shields weren't bad on those teams either.

Thanks for bringing up those memories. Those were great matchups. Sorry for the ramble - back to your regular "Best Iowa High School Basketball Players Ever" programming....

Last edited:

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
Gee only 2 have been Cyclones, yet ISU has had a better program than Iowa over that span.
I'll let SouthernHawk or TarHeelHawk or one of the other resident Hawkeye "guests" around here put up a more spirited defense, but I would say that Iowa has actually had a better basketball program than we've had since 1981 (the year that the Mr. Basketball award was first given out in the state of Iowa). They've certainly been to more NCAA tournaments and had more winning seasons during that span than we have.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
The best Iowa high school players that I've seen play:

1) Al Lorenzen, C.R. Kennedy
2) Wade Lookingbill, Fort Dodge
3) Jay Goodman, Fort Dodge
4) Chris Street, Indianola
5) Fred Hoiberg, Ames

(These are all players that I actually saw play at the high school level. Obviously, there are plenty of great players that didn't make this list because I didn't see them play, but this is still a pretty formidable starting five.)

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Dean Oliver was the most dominant PG that I have seen in high school and that includes Heinrich and Newman. He could score almost at will averaging 20+ for all 4 years he started in high school and lead his teams to 3 state tournaments (2 championships). His scoring average actually declined I believe as the years went on because he had some other good players on his team, but he was amazing with the ball. Might be the quickest player on any of these lists.

I watched him play David Newman at Drake in a preseason exhibition game before Olivers sr year (newman's jr year) and Newman had some nice handles, but he wasn't quick enough to do much against Oliver. On the other hand, I think Oliver had 20pts in one half of exhibition ball (they only played one half).

The thing that made him great is that he could score 30-40 on any given night if needed, but he was a great team player and didn't mind passing the ball. When he wanted to though he was dominate (SC West in '97 state tourney)

prdhawk

Dec 29, 2008
knoxville
Settles? Really? That 8 year undergrad shouldn't even be in this conversation....stupid squaks....and that dumb cut up undershirt that he always wore.

My favorite high-lite ever of him was when he was at home playing us, ranked Iowa State in IC. He pump-faked 7 times and Cato just stood there watching him....right on the last pump he went up for his glorious lay up....only to have it completly denied by Cato in the biggest block I have ever seen..... blocked it to the mid-court....Willoughby scooped it up and had a nice little dunk on the other end.

Too bad Squaks.
bitter?:chatterbox:

goldmember

May 31, 2006
The best players I have seen in person in no particular order:

Hoiberg - Ames - 1991
Jay Goodman - Fort Dodge - 1988
Harrison Barnes - Ames - Current
Wade Wheat - Fort Dodge -1992

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
I saw HB for the first time live tonight in Wells Fargo. As others have said, he is very efficient. However, his team doesn't need him much, so he doesn't take many shots. I would love to see him play AAU some time. Also, Doug McDermott impressed me with his range. Any updates on where he will end up?

ozzie8

Apr 30, 2008
Robbie Sieverding is a guy who was a great player, probably not in the top 25. He averaged over 40 points a game as a senior and scored over 60 a few times. Had a solid career at UNI.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Huh? You could argue that he wasn't even the best on his team at times. (speaking of Jason Bohannon)

His state championship performance as a sophomore seals the deal for me. He dominated the overhyped Carlton Reed by himself and was draining shots from beyond NBA range all game. He was as clutch of a player as I have ever seen at any level. Since he played at Linn Mar, basketball has become not only the school's passion, but the passion of the entire town of Marion. Granted he has not played well in college thus far, the title of the thread is Best HIGH SCHOOL Basketball Players Ever. He also holds the all time scoring title in the Cedar Rapids metro area. I could honestly NOT argue that he was not the best on his team at times, but I would like to hear you argue that point.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Althought I about quit reading this thread when I saw Jimmie Binnie's name listed on here...I am suprised to see only a few mentions to Chris Street? Maybe it is the fact I am an Indianola homer, but come on people!