Best Hidden Gems In Des Moines Area

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Awesome, thanks guys!

Also, see a lot of debate between Cosi and Latin King.. what makes one better than the other?

Also, Gerris tavern was next on my list! Heard great things about them

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I keep reading the title to this thread as Best Hidden Cams. Oy.

-keep

wolverine68

Mar 30, 2007
Urbandale
www.gvc.edu
Hidden gem's is a tough one because if it's that good then it won't be hidden for long. I don't think Thai Flavors is really hidden, it's just in a rough part of town but it's great. Taco's Mariana's is another place I'm afraid to leave my car but the food is good.
Can't believe it took this long for Thai Flavors to be mentioned. Food is amazing and Cafe Fuzion is right next to it. I have often stopped at Thai Flavors for their Panang and then went to Cafe Fuzion for their lettuce wraps!
Corner of University and E 14th.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
drake diner is a good place with good shakes and bar area. haven't been there for a while since my kids have turned into a pain in the *** to take out to eat.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Daytonas wings and pizza. The place is a **** hole with a crappy racing motif. But the food is greAt, a free keg friday night, and usually fun drinking games during football games.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Didn't go through all the pages, but when I saw Jethro's and Zombie burger show up on page one, I realized the concept of "hidden gems" is lost on many.

Anyway, I'll throw in the Olympic Flame in the East Village. Love their Gyro dinner. Get a very tasty gyro with bread, soup, Greek salad, and a couple greek sides (I forget the names). Good stuff in a divey, cheesey decorated authentic Greek restaurant.

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
One of my new favorites is Mi Patria, an Ecuadorian restaurant which serves authentic Ecuadorian food. They serve a fish called "Corvina" which is fantastic. Very reasonably priced too. Here's a link:

Mi Patria Restaurant - Ecuadorian Cuisine

For breakfast/lunch, I recommend "La Mie Bakery" which has the best breads/pastries in Des Moines and also has great egg dishes and sandwiches. Here's a link:

Breakfast & Lunch « La Mie Bakery of Des Moines, Iowa

Yes on la mie, the French ham sandwich is amazing and costs only $5,

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Has anyone here ate at George the Chili King on Hickman? It looks extremely sketch but it is very good. They are know for their chili if you didn't get the memo but they also have great burgers, fries, hot dogs, etc. Worth at least a try IMHO.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Has anyone here ate at George the Chili King on Hickman? It looks extremely sketch but it is very good. They are know for their chili if you didn't get the memo but they also have great burgers, fries, hot dogs, etc. Worth at least a try IMHO.

It is wonderful... Yes it is sketchy looking, but every 5 years or so we got get chili dogs, fantastic.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale

It's an absolute greasy spoon with great food. Tenderloins, coneys, and onion rings are great. We eat there every couple of years.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Yup. Cool place to have around. Tenderloins are pretty solid. (Not starting a Smitty, Goldies debate)

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Daytonas wings and pizza. The place is a **** hole with a crappy racing motif. But the food is greAt, a free keg friday night, and usually fun drinking games during football games.

Drove past that place the other day and was amazed that it was still in business after all these years. Must be doing something right!

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
This.
I love the Zach Johnson. I like Manhattan better than B&B Grocery. Both are good. Id give Manhattan the edge tho.

I didn't think anybody would mention this place. I love the ZJ if I go anytime other than Thursdays, but if you like grinders, the Special on Thursday is the Italian sandwich that could be the best sandwich on the planet. :smile: