Best Hidden Gems In Des Moines Area

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
I am new to the Des Moines area and love trying new places. Taco Tuesday is hard to beat at the Yankee Clipper!!

What are some of your favorite places to eat in the Des Moines Area?

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Cosi Cucina - Italian, good date spot
Orlando's - solid pizza and good pasta dishes. Great place to stop while on a bike ride

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
We love the China Dragon in Norwalk. A wee bit pricey, but still good Chinese. My wife swears by their egg drop soup.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Two Thai places we like:

King & I - 22nd in WDM
Zuzap - University Ave in Clive

Walt76

Apr 11, 2006
Good call.

Get the wings at Jethros. Order BBQ rub only, add sauce at the table.

Second that on Jethros wings. Half price wings on Tuesdays, half price boneless wings on Thursdays. I like their ribs as well, but for brisket I prefer Smokey D's.

Our favorite for special occasions is Baru66. Fantastic food and service, but expensive.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
HIDDEN GEMS, fun topic. Here are a few of mine

Fat Tuesdays - Southern, creole food on SW 9th just north of Army Post. Seriously, the best collard greens I have had in my life

Henry J's Tacos - Also on SW 9th, not far from Lincoln HS. Great Tacos, sides leave a bit to be desired

Angelo's Pizza - Now in the cursed building on 8th St in WDM, jusst south of 235, great pizza

Cooper's on 5th - tiny little bar/resturant in Valley Junction but tremendous food

Tacopocalypse - Now with their stand alone shop in the East Village. Go for a brunch, you will love it

Francie's - Off of Fluer, north of the airport. Not sure this counts as a hidden gem because it is pretty well known, but it's tucked off the road and tough to see. Great atmosphere for a few drinks and even better bar food.

Orlando's - solid pizza and good pasta dishes. Great place to stop while on a bike ride

Agree on Orlandos, great pizza, in house made sausage and the best little salads in town

I have a hard time calling any Jethro's location "hidden" anymore

TurdFerguson

Sep 13, 2013
Forget the previously mentioned places for wings. All you need to know for wings is Gerri's Tavern by the fairgrounds. Very much a hole in the wall, but the wings are phenomenal.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not a "place" to eat but Thelma's Ice Cream Sandwiches that you can get at the Farmer's Market or at Hy-Vees and Gateway Market are really good. They even have a "spicy" Ice Cream sandwich. The owner is also an ISU alum.

Gateway Market is a hidden gem in itself I guess as well.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

LOVE both of these places. Latin King and Cosi Cocina are my two favorite Italian places in Des Moines, but Latin King is the one that gets all of the recognition.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Not a "place" to eat but Thelma's Ice Cream Sandwiches that you can get at the Farmer's Market or at Hy-Vees and Gateway Market are really good. They even have a "spicy" Ice Cream sandwich.

Gateway Market is a hidden gem in itself I guess as well.

Bauder's Pharmacy has some pretty bomb-*** malts.

LetsPlay2

Dec 18, 2008
Des Moines
I like Woody's on 28th (or so) and cottage grove for BBQ. Kind of a small place but I really like their brisket sandwiches and free corn bread.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I think it's a bit pricy, but irena's has really good food. It doesn't look like anything special on the outside, but it's really nice inside.