Best guesses for bowl destinations for ISU this year?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It has to be either Okie State or Baylor for Sugar so OU can’t get there.
I still think JP will have some work ahead of him for Orlando to pick us over K State due to recency and overall climate of the fan base/season.
No. The sugar agreement says they take the highest ranked team not in the CFP. If Baylor gets throttled, it could be OU going.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
The Big 12 does not have any stipulation to do that. Now, I think I read only 9 of 84 teams have ever been selected outside of the top 12 teams. But they can choose whoever they want.

here is an excerpt from the Big 12 website. Once the CFP is filled, then the Sugar gets first pick. They could pick anyone as long as they are bowl eligible.

Big 12 Bowl Partners
Once the CFP has filled its bowl slots, Big 12 bowl partners will make selections from the remaining Conference teams. Following is the order of selection. A bowl may pick from any available teams with .500 or better records when it reaches its spot in the selection order. After the placement of those teams, slots will be filled from among the pool of remaining teams.
Allstate Sugar
Valero Alamo
Cheez-It
Texas
AutoZone Liberty
Guaranteed Rate
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl*/SERVPRO First Responders Bowl* “
I stand corrected.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
I am fairly certain the Big 12 has it where the loser of the conference championship gets the Sugar Bowl if the champion is in the CFP. The Big Ten does not have that stipulation, so that's the difference.
Many other conferences have an agreement where they work with the bowls to slot teams for the best possible matchup however the Big 12 selection process is entirely up to the bowls(at least it is written that way) and appears to have previously played out that way as well.
Yeah. Baylor had trouble filling their 45,000 seat stadium with their team in the driver's seat for the Big 12 title. I'm sure they would take OU if they can.
I don't think it will be OU based on the following:
- When the conference champion is unavailable, the bowls invite the next-best team from that conference.
- OU doesn't have a game this weekend and there are only a few games that involve teams ahead of them within striking distance. Yes, Baylor may be one of those teams who lose ahead of them but will they literally swap them?
Ultimately, it doesn't matter to me because the final result is still the same. 3 teams from the Big 12 are ahead of us, 2 of them will be in NY6 bowls and the 3rd will get the Alamo leaving the fine folks at Cheez It to pick the Cyclones.
- to date during the College Football Playoff era (2014–2020 football seasons), only 9 of the 84 teams selected by the committee have been ranked lower than 12th.

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
we definitely hope for Okie State to go to CFP to bump up each and everyone in the Big 12 and increase revenue

Okie St CFP
OU Sugar
Baylor Alamo
Cyclones Cheezit

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Cheer for Oklahoma St to win. Cheer for Utah to beat Oregon.

If those two things happen. It's then OU, Michigan St and BYU for the final spot in the NY6. Based on name/prestige, OU would likely win that beauty pageant.

Okie St to the CFP, Baylor to the Sugar and OU to the Fiesta.

Then ISU gets the Alamo Bowl. It would be a rematch against Oregon

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

If those two things happen. It's then OU, Michigan St and BYU for the final spot in the NY6. Based on name/prestige, OU would likely win that beauty pageant.

Pass on an Oregon rematch, we already proved we’re a better program. Would love to take down Clemson or any garbage B10 team this year.

hawksuck75

Mar 25, 2006
Chicago, IL
Heavily doubt OU gets that final spot. If OU would have beaten OSU last night we could of had a legit shot of 3 teams and guaranteed two with Baylor currently at 8 with no games left.

If Oregon wins their in the Rose if they lose they will Alamo I would guess. Alot will depend on Tuesday's rankings.

Iowa State looks destined for Cheez-It or Houston depending on K-State/ISU call.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Heavily doubt OU gets that final spot. If OU would have beaten OSU last night we could of had a legit shot of 3 teams and guaranteed two with Baylor currently at 8 with no games left.

If Oregon wins their in the Rose if they lose they will Alamo I would guess. Alot will depend on Tuesday's rankings.

Iowa State looks destined for Cheez-It or Houston depending on K-State/ISU call.
OU might be an interesting TV watch now that Stoops will be on the sideline. Might help our case.

Reactions: hawksuck75

hawksuck75

Mar 25, 2006
Chicago, IL
If OSU wins and goes to CFP then yes. If OSU gets screwed by committee and doesn't make CFP Baylor could be sent to Alamo (them dropping from losing a champ game over teams who don't play.. which is ridiculous). Thats worst case for ISU because it moves everyone down and then its either Houston or Liberty.

Baylor is basically locked into the Sugar aren't they?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
No. The wording is the next highest big XII team goes. OU is 13 and BU is 9 I think. Could move enough to invert them.
Gotchya. Sounds like a repeat of when KU leapfrogged Mizzou for the Orange.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Gotchya. Sounds like a repeat of when KU leapfrogged Mizzou for the Orange.
That worked out well, as KU won the Orange and Mizzou won the Cotton! I know they were both Big 12 North Rivals, but I thought that was GREAT for the old Big 8 nostalgia!

• Agree
Reactions: agentbear

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Purely from a destination standpoint I haven't been to a bowl game since 2005 in Houston and this was the year I was putting all my eggs in the basket hoping for a big game to go to. That being said I hate to say it but after talking with people this past weekend that would possibly go to a bowl game with me it sounded like most would be in if we went to Memphis or San Antonio, some maybe if we went to Houston, and just sounded like no one had interest in Orlando for Cheez It despite the possible juicy matchup if we faced Clemson. I would be thrilled if we somehow could get the Alamo Bowl but that seems unlikely and Liberty Bowl probably is now too after beating TCU as that seems too far down the pecking order to fall to. I passed on the Vegas game holding out for a bowl game trip too so may have to bank it for another year now.

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
No. The wording is the next highest big XII team goes. OU is 13 and BU is 9 I think. Could move enough to invert them.
The Big 12 Bowl Partners are not forced to pick anyone. They can pick whoever they want as long as they are Bowl Eligible.

Starting the selection with the Sugar and then Alamo and then Cheezit and so on….

• Agree
Reactions: fcclone and BCClone

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I am fairly certain the Big 12 has it where the loser of the conference championship gets the Sugar Bowl if the champion is in the CFP.

The only two times it's occurred, it just so happened that the CCG loser was also the next highest-ranked Big 12 team.

2014-16: No CCG
2017: Sugar was a semi
2018: #4 OU (CFP), #15 UT (runner-up)
2019: #4 OU (CFP), #7 BU (runner-up)
2020: Sugar was a semi

In 2015, before the CCG was reinstated, #16 OSU got the nod over #11 TCU based on HTH when both tied for 2nd.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron