Beating OSU is our best shot at a bowl game

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I don't agree with the title of this thread. I think KSU is our best shot.

This. However, playing a BCS championship contender in a nationally televised prime time game is a nothing to lose opportunity that could have huge long term ramifications for national recognition and recruiting. If they go out and lose by 40, well, that's what most people expect. Other than chalking up one for the L column, what's the damage for ISU? The good guys have nothing to lose and everything to gain on Friday night. OSU's getting closer and closer to the championship game, and maybe the pressure gets to them. I can't wait for Friday night!

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I live in Tulsa and I bleed cardinal and gold but Oklahoma State is the only other Big 12 team that I honestly root for and follow. Like all ISU fans I am rooting for at least one win out of the last three games to become bowl eligible, but it is going to be a tough road. OU will not lose another game at home. The Tech game was just surreal and Stoops will not lose another at home, even without Broyles and Whaley. K State is a really good football team and they will be very tough in Manhattan. They played OSU down to the wire in Stillwater and Snyder is just a football wizard. BCS #2 rating or not, here is why I think OSU presents our best shot for a win and how/why we can beat them:

1. OSU's defense stinks. We can score on OSU - every team this year has scored on them and their D line is awful.

2. OSU's offense is unbelievable and we MUST slow the game down and win the time of possession and field position game. If we can limit their touches and grind out long scoring drives AND make them take a long time to score or get turnovers, we have a chance.

3. We cannot miss field goals. You will never beat OSU with field goals - we need touchdowns. We should not attempt ANYTHING over forty yards in this game and instead opt to pin them deep and let our defense stop them or at least make them take a long time to score.

4. Weather. We are FINALLY getting a southern team at home late in the season. It RARELY happens and this our chance. The last late season home game against a southern team that I remember was Texas in the late 90's. We all need to pray for snow - lots of it and a blizzard would be even better.

5. Two weeks to prepare. OSU will have a tough game this week against Tech. Tech has lost three straight home games and they haven't lost four straight home games in 21 years. OSU will win but it will not be an easy game.

6. OSU will be looking past us to bedlam. It is human nature and they will not take this game seriously. CPR can use this as a motivational tool.

7. Lastly, undefeated and #2 in the BCS or not OSU is still.....OSU. They ALWAYS blow it. Usually it is against OU, but they always manage to blow whatever they have going. Everyone here is talking about it, when is OSU going to blow it.

Call me crazy if you like, but I have followed OSU for fifteen years and we have a shot.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFB2akLh4s]Dumb and Dumber - You're telling me there's a chance - YouTube[/ame]

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
I don't think that ISU should voluntarily give OSU the ball... ever! Every kickoff should be an on-side kick and we should never punt unless we are faking it! Probably won't work, but at least it gives us a shot.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
We can definitely stay with K State I think. Kleins not that good of a passer and after 4 tough weeks, Burnham should have enough tape to lock down K States offense.

Klein may not be a Heisman candidate, but he's a higher rated passer than any QB we've put on the field in a number of years.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
OSU has to **** up at some point don't they?! Don't they? This is uncharted territory for them. They have never seen this kind of attention and pressure. Not even when they had Barry. And they have to be already nervously eying that Bedlam game.
Maybe, just maybe, their ****-up will come on a cold November evening in Jack Trice Stadium.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
OSU has to **** up at some point don't they?! Don't they? This is uncharted territory for them. They have never seen this kind of attention and pressure. Not even when they had Barry. And they have to be already nervously eying that Bedlam game.
Maybe, just maybe, their ****-up will come on a cold November evening in Jack Trice Stadium.

I'm hoping something like that comes about — I mean, truthfully, one of two things is required (possibly both) for an ISU win:

1. ISU plays a flawless game in every respect, and OSU plays no better than "its average game."

2. OSU lays an egg, and ISU plays well enough to take advantage.

Yes, that's actually 4 things, not 2. But any-hoo, Option 2 seems more likely.

Not sure if the pressure-buildup is going to make the difference, but it could contribute to it. The other aspect is, has OSU actually played a bad game yet this season? A&M and KSU games were close, so they've had those "near-scares," although A&M was early in the season before OSU had climbed the rankings ladder.

But I don't think OSU has had anything close to a dud performance. Maybe it won't happen this year, but if it did, this'd be a nice time to do it. :yes:

tulsacyfan

Aug 31, 2007
I'm hoping something like that comes about — I mean, truthfully, one of two things is required (possibly both) for an ISU win:

1. ISU plays a flawless game in every respect, and OSU plays no better than "its average game."

2. OSU lays an egg, and ISU plays well enough to take advantage.

Yes, that's actually 4 things, not 2. But any-hoo, Option 2 seems more likely.

Not sure if the pressure-buildup is going to make the difference, but it could contribute to it. The other aspect is, has OSU actually played a bad game yet this season? A&M and KSU games were close, so they've had those "near-scares," although A&M was early in the season before OSU had climbed the rankings ladder.

But I don't think OSU has had anything close to a dud performance. Maybe it won't happen this year, but if it did, this'd be a nice time to do it. :yes:

They haven't had a dud TOTAL game performance, but the OSU defense most certainly has had some duds - gave up 34 to Louisiana Lafayette at home, gave up 33 to Tulsa away, gave up 28 to KANSAS at home and gave up 45 to KSU at home. The offense has just been so good that none of these performances has mattered.

I never predicted a win and OSU is a great team for sure. I just listed a lot of "IF's" and IF enough of those fall into place we could have a shot. I think weather and the "look past" factors are the most significant factors. I can tell you that the OSU fans here are looking at ISU as a speed bump on the way to bedlam. We will see how it plays out..... that is why they play the games.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I would say Kstate and OU are more beatable than OSU. They're going to beat the living **** out of us. If the line is less than 21, I'd be surprised, and I'd still bet OSU to cover up to about 30.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Everyone is saying that OSU's defense is bad, but their in-conference scoring defense is 3rd in the league.

Team, Avg Pts Against in Conference Games
OU, 21.57
UT, 24.00
OSU, 26.00
MU, 28.86
ISU, 31.33
TA&M, 36.13
KSU, 38.14
BU, 40.83
KU, 44.00
Ttech, 45.29

Last edited:

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Here are the scoring offense numbers, for in-conference games only.

Team, Avg Pts Scored
OSU, 51.43
OU, 48.43
KSU, 39.29
TA&M, 38.25
BU, 34.83
MU, 30.71
UT, 30.00
Ttech, 27.57
ISU, 21.33
KU, 20.00

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
So OSU, whose average score in conference games is 51 - 26, is our BEST chance at a win considering that the other two teams we play have average in-conference scores of 48 - 22 (OU) and 39 - 38 (KSU)? KSU has given up over 150 pts in their last three games (though that is against OSU, OU and a 4OT game against A&M).

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
So OSU, whose average score in conference games is 51 - 26, is our BEST chance at a win considering that the other two teams we play have average in-conference scores of 48 - 22 (OU) and 39 - 38 (KSU)? KSU has given up over 150 pts in their last three games (though that is against OSU, OU and a 4OT game against A&M).

It is the only game of the three at home. KSU is simply a very bad matchup for us with Kiein and their rushing game. I certainly don't feel good at all about OSU, but OU on the road is a house of horrors for ISU and KSU will be another road game. OSU can run the ball also, but is primarily a passing team. I agree with others that this may as good a chance as any. KSU would be next.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
We can definitely stay with K State I think. Kleins not that good of a passer and after 4 tough weeks, Burnham should have enough tape to lock down K States offense.

OK. I saw the KSU TAM game. Honestly, I thought Klein was marginal at best. Poor passer, ordinariy runner. KSU simply out coached TAM. Unfortunately, that is what KSU does against ISU every game.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
OK. I saw the KSU TAM game. Honestly, I thought Klein was marginal at best. Poor passer, ordinariy runner. KSU simply out coached TAM. Unfortunately, that is what KSU does against ISU every game.

KSU does that against everyone. Say what you will about Synder, but he is a hell of a coach.

As for OSU, their offense does help their defense. A team quickly goes up 14-0 on you and you know that they can score 50+ points a game, you are going to get more one dimensional which rarely works toward your benefit.

I do think the OSU and KSU are our two best chances to win. I don't think we can beat OU at Norman.

Platypoke

Oct 7, 2011
Stillwater, Oklahoma
They haven't had a dud TOTAL game performance, but the OSU defense most certainly has had some duds - gave up 34 to Louisiana Lafayette at home, gave up 33 to Tulsa away, gave up 28 to KANSAS at home and gave up 45 to KSU at home. The offense has just been so good that none of these performances has mattered.

I never predicted a win and OSU is a great team for sure. I just listed a lot of "IF's" and IF enough of those fall into place we could have a shot. I think weather and the "look past" factors are the most significant factors. I can tell you that the OSU fans here are looking at ISU as a speed bump on the way to bedlam. We will see how it plays out..... that is why they play the games.

Sooooo. The games you mentioned are not duds at all.

First off: ULL got two pick sixes on terrible decisions by Weeden. That's 14 of the 34 there. Then they're other two touchdowns were in garbage time, when we were ahead by a lot. Our first team D allowed two field goals. Not a dud by any definition of the word. Especially when you are getting the youngins playing time.

Second: The Tulsa game. That was just weird. The score at halftime was 31-6. A third of their rushing yards came off of two plays when the game was already decided.

Third: Kansas at home. Maybe you just weren't paying attention, but we pulled all of our starters at halftime. We were up 56-7 at that point. Nuf said.

Fourth: KSU came to play. We way underestimated their resolve. This game was eerily similar to the Nebraska game last year. Except we won it this time. If anything that was our wake up call. We had the ball for 19 minutes total and scored 52 points.

Fifth: Our offense is extremely good. Those performances didn't matter because we were already way too far up to lose and our backups on defense were in.

Sixth: Our defense, while not a world-beater by any means, is good as well. Turnovers are a part of the game, our team is extremely good at forcing them.

Again we are not looking past your team. We will have two weeks to prepare for OU. NO need to look past Iowa State at all. Our team knows you can be dangerous.

Weather will not be as bad an issue as you might think. Yeah we love our passing game, but we will gash you on the ground if it becomes too hard to pass (whether that be snow/sleet/heavy rain). Joseph Randle, Jeremy Smith, and Hershel Sims are all capable of immense games. Randle alone has scored something like 14 touchdowns in the last three and a half games he's played in.

You are not a speed bump (although that case could be made). I personally consider you guys to be a pothole for OSU. You have the potential to pop a tire and stop us from going where we wanted to go.

I don't think Iowa State can keep up, but I thought the same about Kansas State.

Do some research before you spout off.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Do some research before you spout off.

You're on an ISU message board. You're going to see some posts that talk badly about your team.....if you don't like it, don't go to message boards of other teams. I'm sure I could find some posts about ISU on your message board that aren't fully "researched."

I kinda like OSU. Try not to sway my opinion the other way by pouncing on posters who aren't throwing roses at your team.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You're on an ISU message board. You're going to see some posts that talk badly about your team.....if you don't like it, don't go to message boards of other teams. I'm sure I could find some posts about ISU on your message board that aren't fully "researched."

I kinda like OSU. Try not to sway my opinion the other way by pouncing on posters who aren't throwing roses at your team.

Nicely said. I enjoy OSU, too. I hope this guy doesn't ruin that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron