Beating OSU is our best shot at a bowl game

tulsacyfan

Aug 31, 2007
We thought we could score on KU but only managed 13 points. Every other opponent had put up big numbers against them, too. Granted we could have put another 6/7 meaningless points by handing off to Woody one more time at the end of the game, but anyway.

You can't BOTH have US scoring a lot of points and hoping for crappy weather so OSU can't score against us in the same game. I thought it was windy conditions against KU that kept ISU from being productive offensively? At least that was a common opinion on this board.

Anyway, I agree with most of the responding posts. I think the best shot at a 6th win is versus KSU. I hate to say it, but I think we go down hard against both OSU and OU. Possibly even K State, but at least I think we might be competitive if not too many bad things happen in the first half (turnovers, 3 and outs).

Of course weather affects both teams. Where did I say that I expected us to score a lot of points? My point was that it is POSSIBLE to score against OSU, it is not like we are playing an LSU or an Alabama, in terms of defense.

The point on the weather, is that bad weather would slow their prolific passing offense and maybe they would score, say in the low twenties instead of in the forties. If we hold them to the low twenties we have a shot if we get some breaks. I have followed ISU for a long time and I don't need anyone to tell me that we are not an offensive juggernaut - believe me, I get it.

For everyone that is so optimistic about KSU, FYI - Bill Snyder's lifetime record against ISU is 15 wins, 4 losses. We aren't playing against a Ron Prince coached team this year.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Ok State is 1-9 in their last 10 trips @Texas Tech. They might not be undefeated when they play us.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
I live in Tulsa and I bleed cardinal and gold but Oklahoma State is the only other Big 12 team that I honestly root for and follow. Like all ISU fans I am rooting for at least one win out of the last three games to become bowl eligible, but it is going to be a tough road. OU will not lose another game at home. The Tech game was just surreal and Stoops will not lose another at home, even without Broyles and Whaley. K State is a really good football team and they will be very tough in Manhattan. They played OSU down to the wire in Stillwater and Snyder is just a football wizard. BCS #2 rating or not, here is why I think OSU presents our best shot for a win and how/why we can beat them:

1. OSU's defense stinks. We can score on OSU - every team this year has scored on them and their D line is awful.

2. OSU's offense is unbelievable and we MUST slow the game down and win the time of possession and field position game. If we can limit their touches and grind out long scoring drives AND make them take a long time to score or get turnovers, we have a chance.

3. We cannot miss field goals. You will never beat OSU with field goals - we need touchdowns. We should not attempt ANYTHING over forty yards in this game and instead opt to pin them deep and let our defense stop them or at least make them take a long time to score.

4. Weather. We are FINALLY getting a southern team at home late in the season. It RARELY happens and this our chance. The last late season home game against a southern team that I remember was Texas in the late 90's. We all need to pray for snow - lots of it and a blizzard would be even better.

5. Two weeks to prepare. OSU will have a tough game this week against Tech. Tech has lost three straight home games and they haven't lost four straight home games in 21 years. OSU will win but it will not be an easy game.

6. OSU will be looking past us to bedlam. It is human nature and they will not take this game seriously. CPR can use this as a motivational tool.

7. Lastly, undefeated and #2 in the BCS or not OSU is still.....OSU. They ALWAYS blow it. Usually it is against OU, but they always manage to blow whatever they have going. Everyone here is talking about it, when is OSU going to blow it.

Call me crazy if you like, but I have followed OSU for fifteen years and we have a shot.
So crazy...it just might work :yes:

tulsacyfan

Aug 31, 2007
So crazy...it just might work :yes:

LOL. All I have been trying to say is that OSU is NOT LSU or Alabama.

I agree with someone's post earlier that if the KSU game was next week instead of after OSU and OU, I would like our chances at Manhattan a lot better.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esr1P_SEoz8&feature=channel_video_title]Oklahoma State Still Unbeaten - YouTube[/ame]

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
LOL. All I have been trying to say is that OSU is NOT LSU or Alabama.

I agree with someone's post earlier that if the KSU game was next week instead of after OSU and OU, I would like our chances at Manhattan a lot better.
I'm on board with you, its just the boys in Dallas may have a say in it if it gets too close for their comfort....

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
66-6 :shocked:
friday could get ugly fast

Maybe...but Tech is god freaking awful. Just terrible. They've quit and it's pretty obvious. Our guys are going to be ready. I just don't see this as a blowout for us. We might lose by a few touchdowns and the game may never really be in doubt but I have a hunch we hang with OSU pretty well.

CloneAbuse

Oct 4, 2009
Clive, IA
It sets up as a classic look past game for OSU. They've just had a monster blowout, they have OU the week after us. Friday night in the coldest environment they'll have played in...crazier things have happened.....just not for ISU.....it's about time!!!

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
It sets up as a classic look past game for OSU. They've just had a monster blowout, they have OU the week after us. Friday night in the coldest environment they'll have played in...crazier things have happened.....just not for ISU.....it's about time!!!

I agree, they overlook us and we lose 52 - 10.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
66-6..... Okie State

666.... = end of them winning. This is no coincidence, but rather a sign for Okie State.

At least if we were to somehow win than they have the bad omen to blame....

Yes I am very superstitious lol

zwclones51

Aug 4, 2010
West Des Moines
We can definitely stay with K State I think. Kleins not that good of a passer and after 4 tough weeks, Burnham should have enough tape to lock down K States offense.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'm glad Tech didn't rise up with an upset, because you'd figure it would refocus OSU for the trip to Ames. I suppose it could have been deflating, at the other extreme. Never know how those things are going to go.

My biggest concern now is that Oklahoma State is smelling blood for a BCS title shot. I'd love to think it's a trap game with a look-ahead to OU, but that game isn't any more important than ISU. It's not like OSU's status gets elevated with a win over Oklahoma, just that a loss would drop them.

Lose at ISU, and the OU game takes on a make-up quality.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I would say we need a blizzard. Nice wind to play with OSU's passing game and some snow to make the ball hard and slippery for their running game.

However, those conditions are going to affect us too. I don't trust that we won't put it on the ground.

Help Support Us

Become a patron