BCS proposes radical changes

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
And they have to play at home sites to get any attendance. One of the great things about the bowl system is it gives fans a great vacation opportunity along with the game. Fans arent going to be able to afford to take back to back trips. Look at the NCAA basketball tourney and the attendance you see at some of the first round sites for evidence of that.

So you are telling me that if the NFL played their playoff games at neutral sites that no one would attend?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So you are telling me that if the NFL played their playoff games at neutral sites that no one would attend?

They would have a much harder time getting the attendance they do now, yes. Theyd do better than college due to more national fanbases though.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

In the NFL there is more nationalized interest, where in college football interest is usually limited by geography, location of alumni, etc.

So no, I would not drive to St. Louis to watch USC play Florida State for a playoff game. And I doubt many others would either.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I am proud that I got a chance to play in 2 bowl games for ISU, if there was a playoff I would have been home watching football over Xmas.

Some of you like to use phrases like "meaningless post season exhibition game" well I didn't think playing in the Insight.com (2000) and Independence Bowl (2001) was a "meaningless post season exhibition game" my teammates and I were excited and happy we game to play in those games. Not to mention it also provided extra practrices to the underclassman who would be taking over for guys who were graduating.

Like others have said in this post I would rather have a Champion of the Season (which usually means an undefeated team) rather than a tournament champion like basketball and other sports have, mainly because the tournament champion more likely than not wasn't the best team during the course of the season.

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
Yes let FCS play their little tournaments alnog with the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, every other freaking sport every invented. FCS draws 13,000 huh? Well the super bowl draws quite a bit more and they have a playoff system. Not a very good argument man.

And in EVERY one of those you named the players are PAID. And they are usually paid more in the form of a "playoff share". So, let me know how much of the billions in "new" revenue a NCAA football playoff would go to the players...

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
Why does everyone think there wouldn't be any bowl games with a playoff? Everyone who doesn't make the playoffs can still go to the same ****** bowls as before.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
First thought...interesting. One minute later....not enthused....still think a 8 game playoff would make more sense than a computer best two meeting in Jerry jones House. This is the biggest sport with the most money and about the onluy one with no real playoffs other than two schools playing a single game. Yepo, I will complain if we go to the single game. We need PLAYOFFS.

Make the real champion play three games in a playoff and give some of the money back to the players for their extra work.

Jan 30, 2011
Yeah, I think an 8 or 10 team playoff is the way to go, first round give home field, after that contract the games to the best sites. 4-5 Auto Bids and the rest at large teams chosen by a tweaked BCS formula, or a selection committee. You can keep some of the other bowl games, maybe there won't be as much interest, but how many uninteresting bowl games do we have now?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
How many other sports do you know that tell half of their participants that no matter how well you do you will never even get a chance to be #1. Great system!

CFB is the greatest sport on the planet and the only one w/o a playoff. That's not a coincidence and the example of OSU/ISU is apt; it's a huge game that OSU likely wouldn't bother playing their starters for if there were a playoff.

The entire regular season is a playoff, kill that and fans will leave in droves.

You can cry for Boise all you want but until they play a Big XII, B1G or SEC grind I don't give a **** that they get left out. And yes, I understand it's tough for them to schedule OOC games...sorry for them...

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I am proud that I got a chance to play in 2 bowl games for ISU, if there was a playoff I would have been home watching football over Xmas.

Some of you like to use phrases like "meaningless post season exhibition game" well I didn't think playing in the Insight.com (2000) and Independence Bowl (2001) was a "meaningless post season exhibition game" my teammates and I were excited and happy we game to play in those games. Not to mention it also provided extra practrices to the underclassman who would be taking over for guys who were graduating.

Like others have said in this post I would rather have a Champion of the Season (which usually means an undefeated team) rather than a tournament champion like basketball and other sports have, mainly because the tournament champion more likely than not wasn't the best team during the course of the season.

Oh come on you just played college football what could you possibly know about this subject....

:jimlad:

And agree with you 100%

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yeah, I think an 8 or 10 team playoff is the way to go, first round give home field, after that contract the games to the best sites. 4-5 Auto Bids and the rest at large teams chosen by a tweaked BCS formula, or a selection committee. You can keep some of the other bowl games, maybe there won't be as much interest, but how many uninteresting bowl games do we have now?

Four team playoff would add ONE game to the current season. 8 team playoff would add an entire THREE games to the season played by just 4 teams out of 120.

Since we have the NC game and that would be moved to the end, you could argue that it's really only adding two games to the college football season to have an 8 team playoff.

The straw man arguments against a small college football playoffs are among the most ridiculous I've seen in my life, and I follow politics so that's saying a lot.

The arguments against 32 team or larger FBS playoffs are pretty significant though. I don't know that anyone is advocating that, I've yet to see it. I'm sure if it made money somebody would at some point though and that would truly be sad.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I say you do a +1 system, where your top four get in the NC 2-game play off (1/4 and 2/3 are paired in bowls and the winners play for the NC).

Everything else is the same. Frankly, if you can't stay in the top 4 in the BCS, then you don't have anything to complain about. If you're in a BCS league and you go undefeated, you're pretty much for sure in. If you lose one game, and you're in a tough league, you probably make it in.

For TCU/Utah, it makes no difference any more because now they will be playing legit completion week in and week out. For Boise State, I would say that if they continue scheduling a minimum of 2 top half BCS opponents, and they go undefeated they would probably make it in the top 4. There really is no one else that is important, in terms of non-BCS league teams.

Last edited:

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
The BCS sucks. Games would still matter without it, as someone would always be on the cusp of making the playoffs or not based on a key game or two. I'd love to see a 16 team playoff.

Can you name one year in the history of ISU football where we would have made it in a 16-team playoff?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Really? Because one-and-done playoff systems don't determine "true" champions either...

How often do you see it discussed that the NFL needs to change it's playoff format because a true champion isn't determined? Almost never - 99% of people are satisfied with how champions are determined in the NFL.

How often do you see it discussed in the NCAA? Almost weekly, even in the offseason. I would bet it's not to far off 50/50 for approval/disapproval.

Is the NFL's system perfect? Hardly - a 7-9 team hosted (and won) a playoff game last year. At least they were a division champion, and Seattle last year was an anomaly. But at least the NFL has a system that determines a champion as opposed to a computer (or series of) that determines which two teams gets to play for the championship.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
There's no other sport that has games like the one last night. How many fewer eyes would have been focused on Ames last night if Okie State was just playing for seeding instead of it being do or die? I love the fact national title teams have to stay focused and consistent the whole season and the top teams have to prove it in hostile environments on the road. Not at home or neutral sites for top seed teams in a playoff. I hope college football never goes to a playoff.

Help Support Us

Become a patron