Baylor Game Thoughts

Drews79

Apr 11, 2006
No doubt about it, this will be a tough game on Saturday. I am really looking forward to it. I think we play a little better coming off of a break. I'm a little worred because it seems like we always struggle down there tho.

Baylor has their deepest and most experienced team I can remember. They return their entire starting lineup from last year. They also return 4 guys who averaged double figures in scoring. They are guard heavy led by Aaron Bruce and Curtis Jerrels.

I think we can take them if we keep the game slowed and pound it into Jiri and Brackins. Also defending their backcourt is a must. If we shut down their backcourt, we more than likely win the game.
We need steady play out of Petersen and Garrett. This will be another good test for them as we open up conference play on the road.

Just my thoughts.....

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Either way, this will be a close one, I will be surprised if it is a double digit victory for either side (barring a team getting all their points in late minute fouling.)

CycloneTony

Nov 3, 2007
Indianola
Iowa State is out to prove that we can be decent in the Big12 Baylor is out to prove they can dominate the big 12 if ISU wants it bad enough its there for the taking but Baylor has more to prove. I say Baylor but not by much and an upset is always possible when you are playing the Clones my fingers are crossed

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
No doubt about it, this will be a tough game on Saturday. I am really looking forward to it. I think we play a little better coming off of a break. I'm a little worred because it seems like we always struggle down there tho.

Baylor has their deepest and most experienced team I can remember. They return their entire starting lineup from last year. They also return 4 guys who averaged double figures in scoring. They are guard heavy led by Aaron Bruce and Curtis Jerrels.

I think we can take them if we keep the game slowed and pound it into Jiri and Brackins. Also defending their backcourt is a must. If we shut down their backcourt, we more than likely win the game.
We need steady play out of Petersen and Garrett. This will be another good test for them as we open up conference play on the road.

Just my thoughts.....
Dan, is that you?

Sorry, the "no doubt about it" set the stage, and I couldn't think of anything else through the rest of it.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
we will have to be on top of our game no doubt.. i have determined tho.. if we close out on the shooter and keep them off the offensive boards.. we will have a good chance.. because this team likes the 3 ball.. and as long as we are gettin the misses and at least contesting some of their shots we will have a good chance

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
This game really reminds me of the Missouri game last year. The first game of the Big XII season that no one expected us to win but we pulled it out. Hopefully we can do the same again this year. It would be a huge win for our conifidence and we then have two winnable game at home after that. Going 3-0 to start conference play would really give us some momentum going into the Kansas game.

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota
Curtis Jerrells is a dangerous player. If he gets on a roll, he can put 40 on us. I'm fairly certain we'll put Rashson on him, i hope Jerrells isn't too fast for him.

I thnk Petersen on Bruce is a key matchup. If Petersen can contain Bruce and keep the ball safe, i think we've got a chance. But like most here, i would be shocked if we win this.

Prediction: Baylor 71, ISU 62

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I bet they lead 3/4s of the game and in the end they choke on our stout D. Brackins gets 16 pts 8 rebounds.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Baylor has several terrific guards, but no real interior presence. If Jiri can play big, and Craig is on, we can just pound the ball all day long. ISU 62 Baylor 57

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
Anyone going to the game from the area down here? I'm making the 90 minute trek to Waco from Dallas - I will come back tomorrow night and try to post pictures and comments from a live look in...

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Anyone going to the game from the area down here? I'm making the 90 minute trek to Waco from Dallas - I will come back tomorrow night and try to post pictures and comments from a live look in...

I thought about it. It's an hour from Austin. I haven't purchased any tickets, though. Suppose I can still get them?

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
I thought about it. It's an hour from Austin. I haven't purchased any tickets, though. Suppose I can still get them?

I just bought mine this morning. Obviously all single game tickets are sold in the upper level (but the seats are all close to the court) and i got center court tickets... $15 a ticket.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I just bought mine this morning. Obviously all single game tickets are sold in the upper level (but the seats are all close to the court) and i got center court tickets... $15 a ticket.

I just bought mine, too. Level West, section 101, row 28, seats 5 and 6. I have no idea where that is.

I should have gone in with the Alumni Association group from Austin, but I missed their deadline. But, this should be fun, I haven't seen the Cyclones play live since the end of last season. What is there to do in Waco?

baylrballa

Feb 3, 2007
League City
5 terrific guards, 1 good forward, a few serviceable bigs.
we do like to shoot the three.
CJ: 25/70 ... 35.7% (including 0/8 the last two games)
Dunn: 36/70... 51.4% (went 7/8 last game)
Dugat: 17/54... 31.4% (led team last year shooting 41%)
Bruce: 27/66... 40.9%
Carter: 21/52... 40.3%

It would be a upset for ya'll to win. I would guess it's going to be ~8 point line. I guess we will see later today. I would be incredibly shocked if we only scored 57, whoever said that.

As for waco, there's a handful of bars down town and there's always georges. What can I say, it's waco. Should be a large college crowd out due since classes start on monday, doesn't mean they will show up to the game though. Have a safe trip for those of ya'll headed in.

Last edited:

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
It will be a tough win for the Cyclones, never have played well down there and Baylor has some excellent 3 pt. threats which we haven't been able to defend well so far this season.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Good to see that the students aren't back yet down there either. If they're anything like students at ISU the crowd shouldn't be too much of a factor (as if it ever is down there).

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
I just bought mine, too. Level West, section 101, row 28, seats 5 and 6. I have no idea where that is.

I should have gone in with the Alumni Association group from Austin, but I missed their deadline. But, this should be fun, I haven't seen the Cyclones play live since the end of last season. What is there to do in Waco?

I think I'm a row in front of you... I'll be wearing a red ISU t-shirt with old Cy (walking Cy) on it... Say hello! I'm in row 27 at the other end of the row i believe.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
I think we can win this game. All the new guys are all really pumped for their first Big12 game. Rah and Jiri know it's their last season, and are ready to play their hearts out. Wes is from Texas and has a lot of family and friends going to the game, so he will want to impress them. I think our guys are going to come out of this one with a win!