Barnett should not have been pulled.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
personally I think he may of reacted poorly to knowing SJ was going to play some. It's the first time he's had that situation as a starter.

If we had any inkling of how much Rutgers was going to blitz and worked on it during practices, it is not hard to see how Jantz probably did better than Barnett. Still Rhoads gave his starter an opportunity to succeed before he went with the QB who did the best in practice. Having said that, I still think Barnett has great potential to emerge as our starter next year.

Nihawk

Nov 3, 2009
I really did not have a problem with CPR switching QB's. I understood his thinking after the first two drives. Some bad play calling, but also some open receivers missed. SJ looked about as bad though. One of those situations that a coach looks smart if it works and gets criticized if it don't.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
ha! this will be a decision by CPR endlessly picked over by cyclone nation until the next kick off. this along with fennelly's latest miscue on the court makes it a long season.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This may be a stretch, but is it a possibility Rhoads wanted both QBs to get some time in the bowl game because (a) each played a part in wins that got ISU to a bowl and (b) it was a way to evaluate how each responded in a postseason situation?

I say it's a stretch, because if that was his motivation (at least a large part of it) he might have rotated every other quarter.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This may be a stretch, but is it a possibility Rhoads wanted both QBs to get some time in the bowl game because (a) each played a part in wins that got ISU to a bowl and (b) it was a way to evaluate how each responded in a postseason situation?

I say it's a stretch, because if that was his motivation (at least a large part of it) he might have rotated every other quarter.
ALl it did was to make a qb controversy and bring SR into the mix.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
ALl it did was to make a qb controversy and bring SR into the mix.

Seems pretty simple to me. He thought Jantz could handle the blitzing better.

It may have even been in the gameplan to give Barnett the start, but put in Jantz if Barnett struggled. Barnett let two drives stall, threw 3-4 bad passes, didn't avoid the sack, made a key fumble, and hobbled off the field.

Both QBs look like first year Big 12 QBs. I expect a QB competition in which both will get much better for next year. Whoever gets the best will start, but the other better be ready to go in. Glad to hear Barnett's quotes after the game that seem to indicate that he still sees himself as integral to our future.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
ha! this will be a decision by CPR endlessly picked over by cyclone nation until the next kick off. this along with fennelly's latest miscue on the court makes it a long season.

And you've been constantly ******** about CPR and his decision as much as everyone else.

You obviously could make better game decisions then the coaching staff....