Bad Bad Bad News... 6 Big 12 Teams Potentially to Pac Ten

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
The proposed 'Texas Sports Network' might actually be what ends up holding the Big XII together.

Don't think of it like Notre Dame's private football contract with NBC. Think of it more like Texas' own 'network' which would exist in addition to/outside of the Big XII tv contract.

The existing Big XII tv contract would continue, but it MIGHT now have equal revenue sharing which would level the playing field for all. Then Texas would have their own network to broadcast their non-contracted football and basketball games in addition to all of the other sports that the folks down here would eat up and pay big money to see televised such as baseball, track, volleyball, etc.

So ISU would make way more money as a result of equal revenue sharing off of the Big XII contract and Texas would make WAY MORE money from having their own secondary network.
Anything that makes Texas more money, increases the gap between the have and have nots. I really just want ISU/KU/KSU/MU/NU/OU/OSU join up with another conference, even if its only from the North. I think the Big 12 model is and always will be corrupt.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Jamie better have the WAC or MWC on speed dial.

I have a feeling the Pac 10 and Big Ten could take away 8-9 schools.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Our big gun in this is not Pollard, it's still Geoffroy. I can see him trying even harder to sell ISU to the Big Ten presidents, and I can see the presidents feeling good about coming to ISU's rescue if we're left out in the cold after the Pac-10 raids the Big 12.
In many ways, we are a Big Ten-type school, and Geoffroy's Big 10 buddies know it...

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I wonder if the B10 went to 16 teams (to match a Pac 16) if we could get invited?

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
If this is true you would think there is no way that OU/OSU/CU turn against the Texas teams and stay put. The money in the Big 12 has always been in the south so there is no logical reason for any of those schools to turn this down. The only way this doesn't happen is if the Big 12 gives Texas even more control than what they already have and they stay.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Our big gun in this is not Pollard, it's still Geoffroy. I can see him trying even harder to sell ISU to the Big Ten presidents, and I can see the presidents feeling good about coming to ISU's rescue if we're left out in the cold after the Pac-10 raids the Big 12.
In many ways, we are a Big Ten-type school, and Geoffroy's Big 10 buddies know it...

Yeah but in the end this is about TV money and we just don't bring anything to the table for the Big 10. Plus there are bigger states than Iowa in terms of population (ie Minnesota and Wisconsin) and both of them only have one BCS team a piece. Maybe the Big 10 doesn't think Iowa needs two BCS teams.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
I didn't read the whole thread, but...

If that story plays out and ISU, KU, K-State, and Nebraska are left out we are 100% fine. We could form our own BCS level conference

Take the Big 12 schools left and then invite:
Utah, BYU, Colorado State, Air Force

and If you want to go to 10-12 add a 2-4 of the following:
TCU, UNLV, Rice, Houston.

Giving you
ISU
KU
Kstate
Nebraska
Utah
BYU
Colorado State
Air Force
TCU
UNLV
Rice
Houston

That is a BCS conference and it would be in everyones interest if the story scenario of the B12 South bolting. The remaining B12 teams have a quality conference to stay in, and the others get the chance to move into a likely automatic BCS berth conference. It's a well balanced conference from a competitive standpoint, but has enough power to compete at a BCS level.

BYU and Air Force both provide a national fan base to some extent with the military and mormon interest to help TV negotiations.

Utah offers great recent bowl success and has finished the season ranked about half the time over the last 10 years. Plus adding them as well as BYU brings the Holy War rivalry.

TCU, Houston, or UNLV all offer good TV markets in Texas or Vegas. TCU and Houston have both shown the ability recently to compete at a high level. I basically threw in Rice to add a potential 12th, it is small but it is also an AAU school and has a large stadium.

Main point though is if you keep ISU, KU, KSU, Nebby together you have enough to offer to form a BCS conference without the Big 12 South schools. The scenario in that article is far from a worst case for us.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
I am now more convinced then ever that literally no one, not Joe Journalist, not Jon suckeye Miller, not Jimmy Messageboardposter has any idea whatsoever in any way imaginable on what is going to happen.

Yet people can't get enough of it. It's almost beyond comical how people cling on to every scenario that pops out of the media everyday. Literally almost every angle has now been covered and hashed out 34 zillion times. I simply do not get it. Ooooo I'm supposed to be scared and whine like a little ***** because the apocalypse of ISU athletics is imminent? Relax, we'll friggin be just fine.

Go Cyclones. Time to take a nap after a long day of golf on my day off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: isuno1fan

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
I still see the ACC making a run at some of the schools the Big 10 is, such as Rutgers, Pitt.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

god i hate these threads, makes me so depressed. I really wish I could believe what your saying, but I just don't see it.

its like christianity, i'd love to believe it to give myself hope, but I just can't.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
This is the dumbest thing I've heard. The Pac 10 MUST have a unanimous vote to add new members. Do people really believe that Stanford is going to vote to allow Texas Tech and Oklahoma State into the same conference when they are Tier 3 schools?

Reactions: zach

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
This is the dumbest thing I've heard. The Pac 10 MUST have a unanimous vote to add new members. Do people really believe that Stanford is going to vote to allow Texas Tech and Oklahoma State into the same conference when they are Tier 3 schools?

Great post. There is so much wrong with this scenario. This thing is way more complicatd than Chip from Orangebloods dreaming up a sceario with his college buddies over beers. Politics, academics, athletics....these things are really complicated. Can be fun to talk about, but this won't happen.

And another thing...does anyone actually think some dude named Chip from Orangebloods got the scoop every sports writer in America would die for? Come on.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Who knows if theres anything behind this... but with a big meeting going on right now with the big 12 heads, i could easily see someone 'leaking' info like this to try to affect discussion their way in the meeting.