Bad Bad Bad News... 6 Big 12 Teams Potentially to Pac Ten

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Of course not. That's why ABC chose to put it in a prime TV slot for the 2nd time in the past 5 years.

But please, I know that if you ask ANYONE outside of the State of Iowa, they'll tell you that Iowa's ACTUAL rivals are A) Ohio State, B) Michigan, C) Penn State, and D) Ditka. It's not like the rest of the world considers Iowa and Iowa State each other's biggest rivals.

I'm sure that Iowa's winning of a BCS game last year and the relative success that ISU experienced had nothing to do with that decision.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Fact is if you had school a,b,c, and d. Mix Iowa, Syracuse, BC, and say ND. It wouldn't be to hard to figure out who didn't belong. Iowa is like a skeeter bite on the junk.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
IOWA VS. ISU is NOT a national rivalry. Not even worth mentioning.

COuld you please elaborate on this "history" with Minnesota. My next door neighbor is a Gopher and I mentioned your post to him. He looked at me like I was from Mars. THis is a BIG Gopher fan who knows his history. Also the connections with wisconsin? Do you realize the connectioins in college football pretty far stretching? My gosh there are likely other schools in the country with more "connections" with wisconsin that Iowa State. ISU to the big ten is never going to happen. AND ISU is not a good fit anyway.
funny_face_by_prawny_350.jpg

ozhawk

May 3, 2010
I don't know what the future holds, but you stink the place up with Hawkeye arrogance. You act like it is a privledge for the Big Ten to have Iowa and not the other way around. Where would you guys be in all this if you weren't grandfathered in to all of this?[/QUOTE]

Ding ding ding. The Hawks are kind of like that fat chick in high school that gets to hang out with the cool hot girls because she is neighbors with one of them and has been friends forever.
Are you referring to that chick who wins a BCS bowl game?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
You know, I think the Pac Ten and Big Ten people are working together to carve up the Big 12 just as you suggest. Baylor is screwed. Baylor to the MWC.

Could be. There was a Hawk poster a few months ago who suggested the same. If that's the case, it would mean that all the negotiating going on between the Big 12 and Pac-10 over the TV network/alliance was really just a ruse by the Pac-10 and done in bad faith. At which point, college athletics would have become nothing more than a Wall Street business (not like it isn't pretty much there now).

It is sad seeing a great thing that may be ruined because of greed. This could really mess up college athletics and all its history.

True, and given the above, it would be time for major college athletics to lose its tax exempt status. Want to play like the Wall Street boys? Then it's time to pay like the Wall Street boys. IMO, the amount of money spent on college athletics by the big schools has really surpassed the benefit being returned by the sports to society, and thus not worthy of being tax free. Tax any spending on athletics over $60 million at 100%, and return the money to the Federal student loan programs. If any athletic departments have income over $60 million, they can donate the amount above $60 million to their school's general operating fund, or the money gets taxed at 100%.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Does this make us a cyst on the taint?
Most of this seem pretty realistic about this. I don't think anybody owes us anything and I understand that some schools are more attractive than us. I also don't show up at a fight, stand behind the 3-4 biggest guys there, and start talkin smack like Iowa has been for years!

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Does this make us a cyst on the taint?

So here is the plan for next 2 years

ISU researches finds a cure for cancer
Figures out Hydrogen fueled Cars
Fix the BP Leak
We get a 30 million donation to athetic department from donor
We Bowl in our South Endzone
Become the #1 Vet School in the US
Get our school enrollment to 30K
Redo campus town and make 19 and over bars
Pay every hot girl on campus to sit in front rows of football and bball games.
Win the North in football
Go to the NCAA tourny in Mens/womens bball
NCAA Final for for Womens Vball
Sweet 16 gymnastics
National title in wrestling
Win some T/F titles.
Have new Iowa Census done and we hack into giving us 7.5 million people in Iowa now. And they all have cable/dish

Then we become marketbable.

Sound easy?

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
I've been blasted for saying that the Big 12 is on life support, well you guys are right, the Big 12 isn't on life support, they just went into Hospice (and I had an aunt pass away a month ago in Hospice)

The Chip Brown report from Rivals has legs to it. The date of this article is May 31 and it's free from Rivals:

BearTerritory.net - Conference expansion in the works

On Monday, in Wellesley, Mass., UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau participated in a Q&A with the Cal Alumni Club of New England, and sources say that during that meeting, Cal's top official revealed several tantalizing tidbits in regards to the possible expansion of the Pac-10 Conference.

Birgeneau confirmed that the chancellors and presidents of the Pac-10 member schools will be holding a conference meeting on June 6 in San Francisco, and said that he would be "surprised if something did not happen that revolutionized college athletics."

Birgeneau said that expansion is a real possibility in the near future, and that the Pac-10 is seriously considering "a couple of schools, at least one of which meets the academic standards of the rest of the Pac-10."

The Chancellor cited the fact that Illinois makes $13 million per year alone from its participation in the Big Ten Network, a "model we're really looking to, going forward."

This is particularly notable because of the fact that, in 2011, the relocation of Cal football to AT&T Park in San Francisco could cost the University upwards of $5 million (according to Birgeneau) in lost ticket revenue due to the diminished capacity of the baseball-only venue.

BearTerritory's sources also said that it would not come as a surprise if the formation of a Pac-10 Network were announced as early as this weekend.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
Wow, you are all a bunch of chicken littles. Yes we might get left out in this deal, but we also might end up for the better. Remember the master of deception that we have working for us here; there is not one person other than JP that I'd rather have at bat for Iowa State right now!

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Since some think were nothing more than a MAC school that's been gravy training the Big 8/12 remember that we have one the Cy-Hawk recently. Since Iowa is in the mighty big 10 they have a lot of explaining to do as to why they haven't completely dominated us in everything. Ohio State has there way with Ohio U. Michigan seems to get the better of the directional schools in-state. Can't really say the same for Mighty Iowa.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm sure that Iowa's winning of a BCS game last year and the relative success that ISU experienced had nothing to do with that decision.

I don't think TCU v. Minnesota would get that slot. Just sayin.

RossHallHero said:
If you think that it's a national rivalry, your definition of national is off, I'd say.

I don't know what a "national rivalry" even means, but I'd guess if you asked most fans of college football who Iowa's rival was, they'd say Iowa State, and vice versa.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Man we have some delusional fans.....

We aren't going to be invited to the B10.

We're not going to be better off in a lower conference (by that reasoning, we should just go immediately to the Missouri Valley).

Pollard cannot do much to help us as he is holding ZERO cards. We are a program that lives off of the scraps from UT, OU, NE, etc.

Our only hope is that bagdad bob is correct that they're going to 20 teams.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
Man we have some delusional fans.....

We aren't going to be invited to the B10.

We're not going to be better off in a lower conference (by that reasoning, we should just go immediately to the Missouri Valley).

Pollard cannot do much to help us as he is holding ZERO cards. We are a program that lives off of the scraps from UT, OU, NE, etc.

Our only hope is that bagdad bob is correct that they're going to 20 teams.

Inferior much??? :eek:

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Since some think were nothing more than a MAC school that's been gravy training the Big 8/12 remember that we have one the Cy-Hawk recently. Since Iowa is in the mighty big 10 they have a lot of explaining to do as to why they haven't completely dominated us in everything. Ohio State has there way with Ohio U. Michigan seems to get the better of the directional schools in-state. Can't really say the same for Mighty Iowa.

Historically, Iowa has, and why would they have to explain anything to anyone?