jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I've seen both of them... while I was in a films class at Iowa State actually. Both of those films were obviously political. I think you are kind of comparing apples to oranges with this one. I don't think Cameron thought, "hey let's make a highly political movie and just make the graphics so awesome that it get's hidden away."

Actually, I can believe it - it's actually more of a calling card for Hollywood ever since its foundation. Propaganda is an extremely powerful form of communication.

cwarner29

Dec 9, 2009
I think people here really need to lighten up. Avatar was created to be a special effects driven popcorn flick, nothing else. Sure there are some heavy handed metaphors and groan-worthy references ("shock and awe"), but I think the problem is that Cameron is a lazy writer who was just plugging clichés (white man vs. Indians) into his film, rather than he created this movie to brainwash americans to support his political agenda.

Seriously, with all of the talk about how this film is leftist, anti-military, propaganda, people seem to be forgetting that the last half hour is a one non-stop violent battle scene. What I'm trying to say here is while some self-important people spent the time watching this film looking for any sign that the filmmaker may (GASP!) have different political views than themselves. I was enjoying watching huge air battleships getting blown up in 3-D.

Last edited:

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I think people here really need to lighten up. Avatar was created to be a special effects driven popcorn flick, nothing else. Sure there are some heavy handed metaphors and groan-worthy references ("shock and awe"), but I think the problem is that Cameron is a lazy writer who was just plugging clichés (white man vs. Indians) into his film, rather than he created this movie to brainwash americans to support his political agenda.

Seriously, with all of the talk about how this film is leftist, anti-military, propaganda, people seem to be forgetting that the last half hour is a one non-stop violent battle scene. What I'm trying to say here is while some self-important people spent the time watching this film looking for any sign that the filmmaker may (GASP!) have different political views than themselves. I was enjoying watching huge air battleships getting blown up in 3-D.

I wish I could "like" this comment.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I've seen both of them... while I was in a films class at Iowa State actually. Both of those films were obviously political. I think you are kind of comparing apples to oranges with this one. I don't think Cameron thought, "hey let's make a highly political movie and just make the graphics so awesome that it get's hidden away."

A lot of people think this movie is highly political and with good reason, Cameron made it that way.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Hopefully Jame Cameron's plot for world domination doesn't get silenced by these nay sayers.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
A lot of people think this movie is highly political and with good reason, Cameron made it that way.

Not my point. My point is do you think he decided to make a political movie and this is what he came up with or did he want to make an awesome 3D movie and his ideals happened to come across in the movie a little bit? My money would be all in on the latter.

So the guy let his views get into his way of making a movie. I would guarantee that this happens with every director.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Saw it this weekend. It is a sustainability feel good movie. Humanity even lost in the end. Looked political to me.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Watched it last night. The main thing to me is that it really isn't that great of a movie. It was entertaining...a decent movie but man...overrated if you ask me. The story was just not very moving and felt forced. As for the politics...I guess I just don't see it. Guys, it has villains and good guys. It's not like the first movie where some crazy military guy and a greedy business guy are the bad guys. We're not talking ground breaking story telling here.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Anybody crying "politics" over this movie are in turn acting like a political tool.

If anything, Avatar was just a compilation of about 30 movies and world events. Seriously, when that tree was lying there smoldering, who didn't think of 9/11? Half the movie was Return of the Jedi. Part Matrix.

With that said, I still liked it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Anybody crying "politics" over this movie are in turn acting like a political tool.

If anything, Avatar was just a compilation of about 30 movies and world events. Seriously, when that tree was lying there smoldering, who didn't think of 9/11? Half the movie was Return of the Jedi. Part Matrix.

Ummm........me?

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
I saw this for the first time today at the IMAX in Council Bluffs. I enjoyed it but thought it was a little over-hyped. I wasn't disappointed in the story because it was exactly what I expected but was not as impressed with the 3-D as I thought I would be.

Reactions: Wesley

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan

Wow. That was some in-depth analysis and a convincing argument.

Because someone evaluates, analyzes and thinks critically on a subject, they are a "tool".

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Wow. That was some in-depth analysis and a convincing argument.

Because someone evaluates, analyzes and thinks critically on a subject, they are a "tool".

Like many movies, it had some obvious political overtones. But according to some in this thread, it was a highly political movie masked behind some awesome CGI and 3D. I just don't see it.

Also, there is a trend in this country that politicizing everything and anything is becoming normal.

Avatar is Cowboys vs. Indians, and unlike the old westerns that I grew up with, the Indians are not the bad guys.

I think you sometimes give out too much credit here, Phaedrus. Many people, especially in this thread, cry politics when they don't like the message they receive. I have been guilty of this as well. When I saw Oliver Stone's JFK, I was shocked by the obvious political agenda. Then I realized that Oliver Stone was involved, so it became a moot point.

James Cameron is an outspoken Hollywood liberal, so bashing his work is easy for anybody who doesn't like his personal politics.

Help Support Us

Become a patron