Assault charge on Steichen dismissed

cyclones6785

Dec 16, 2007
Why are there no responses to this topic? Do my fellow Cyclone fans not care about players from other teams getting charges reduced besides the Hawkeyes? I know this is exactly why Tarheelhawk posted this. It proves the few Cyclones who post in this forum are obsessed with anything negative Iowa.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Why are there no responses to this topic? Do my fellow Cyclone fans not care about players from other teams getting charges reduced besides the Hawkeyes? I know this is exactly why Tarheelhawk posted this. It proves the few Cyclones who post in this forum are obsessed with anything negative Iowa.
Well, duh.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines

Actually, I just figured that somebody would post it at some point, so I figured I would get the jump on it.

You're right though - I can only imagine the hand-wringing that would go on if this had been an Iowa player.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
The timing explains it all. Also, it seems reasonable to be more concerned with BCS football and teams on the schedule than UNI- the only obsession I see is with Iowa fans wanting someone, anyone, to be obsessed with them.

I know you are a huge Cyclone fan, so I am sure I will start to see you join in the discussion about Fall Camp. I look forward to your intelligent analysis.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Actually, I just figured that somebody would post it at some point, so I figured I would get the jump on it.

You're right though - I can only imagine the hand-wringing that would go on if this had been an Iowa player.

You don't have to imagine. It wasn't that long ago when Clayborn's court date got moved back...

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
The timing explains it all. Also, it seems reasonable to be more concerned with BCS football and teams on the schedule than UNI- the only obsession I see is with Iowa fans wanting someone, anyone, to be obsessed with them.

So are you telling me if this would have been an Iowa player there wouldn't have been a 100+ posts about it already?

And no, it's not reasonable to be more concerned with Iowa rather than UNI just because one is a BCS school and the other isn't. The argument has been that Cyclone fans care because this is happening in Iowa. Then when it happens to another in-state school it doesn't seem near as important.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
I can't believe he was allowed to continue practicing with the team when he had charges like this pending against him!:jimlad:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Then when it happens to another in-state school it doesn't seem near as important.
...because fans of BCS teams care more about what happens in the BCS, and at the least FBS, than FCS. And yes it is reasonable to care more about teams in more direct competition with your favorite program. Given this, if there was a huge discussion about UNI- that would be an obsession. The argument has been formulated by Iowa fans who are obsessed with needing someone to obsess about them. If it makes you guys feel better, I am sure there are some ISU fans who are flattered you chose ISU.

I do suppose that if UNI had the recent publicity for off-field mishaps, having yet another one would cause an increase in disgust. As it is, the issue has had less exposure by the media- less discussion on message boards.

Maybe if you post enough times on enough Cyclone websites, ISU will become obsessed with Iowa.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
...because fans of BCS teams care more about what happens in the BCS, and at the least FBS, than FCS. And yes it is reasonable to care more about teams in more direct competition with your favorite program. Given this, if there was a huge discussion about UNI- that would be an obsession. The argument has been formulated by Iowa fans who are obsessed with needing someone to obsess about them. If it makes you guys feel better, I am sure there are some ISU fans who are flattered you chose ISU.

I do suppose that if UNI had the recent publicity for off-field mishaps, having yet another one would cause an increase in disgust. As it is, the issue has had less exposure by the media- less discussion on message boards.

Maybe if you post enough times on enough Cyclone websites, ISU will become obsessed with Iowa.

First of all, fans of BCS teams generally don't care about about most other BCS teams either.

When I asked earlier this summer why so many people on here even cared about the off-field issues the response I got was generally "I pay state taxes and they are a state school." So now that only works if the state school also happens to be in a BCS conference? Hey, I have no problem with ISU fans making fun of the Iowa football team for any reason, but be honest about it. Don't pretend like you are morally outraged when in fact you're just poking fun at a rival. (And by you , I mean cyclone fans in general)

Also, UNI has had just as much problems Iowa has had off the field. The reason people aren't "disgusted" is because A) they didn't even know or B) they really don't care.

Its not that ISU fans are obsessed with Iowa (some are, most aren't) its that some on here are very hypocritical when it comes to Iowa.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Also, UNI has had just as much problems Iowa has had off the field. The reason people aren't "disgusted" is because A) they didn't even know or B) they really don't care.

:biglaugh: Good one 06Panther.

Backup your statement, Clark, that UNI has had just as much problems as Iowa has had off the field.

And the reason why some ISU fans are obsessed with Iowa off field behavior is they see the hypocrisy. It wasn't that long ago Iowa fans were ripping on Iowa State for athletes behaving badly.

DolphLundgren

Nov 11, 2008

Backup your statement, Clark, that UNI has had just as much problems as Iowa has had off the field.

And the reason why some ISU fans are obsessed with Iowa off field behavior is they see the hypocrisy. It wasn't that long ago Iowa fans were ripping on Iowa State for athletes behaving badly.

Just as much? Nah. But they're not angels by any means.

They had a couple freshmen busted for OWI and possession of pot that got kinda swept under the rug. They had two stars arrested for possession and distribution of pot. They just had Steichen get arrested for stomping someone while he was with a current NFL player (and former Panther) while all lit up.

So, no, they don't have as many players getting busted for PAULA. But then again, as a student who went to both schools, the amount of cops in Cedar Falls bars pales in comparison to those in IC.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Just as much? Nah. But they're not angels by any means.

They had a couple freshmen busted for OWI and possession of pot that got kinda swept under the rug. They had two stars arrested for possession and distribution of pot. They just had Steichen get arrested for stomping someone while he was with a current NFL player (and former Panther) while all lit up.

So, no, they don't have as many players getting busted for PAULA. But then again, as a student who went to both schools, the amount of cops in Cedar Falls bars pales in comparison to those in IC.

Fish were the fish are.

-keep

DolphLundgren

Nov 11, 2008

Fish were the fish are.

-keep

Yeah...if you don't think that there are plenty of fish at a bar like ICE or Mojo's in Cedar Falls, you're very bad at judging age.

I don't remember the last time I saw a police officer in a bar in Cedar Falls.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

That really depends on when you want to start counting doesn't it?

I'm not going to look up the numbers. I'd bet though that one could frame an argument either way depending on when you want to start counting.

I will just say this. For every violent/major crime that an Iowa football player has been arrested for, there have been similar incidents at UNI the last five or so years.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Yeah...if you don't think that there are plenty of fish at a bar like ICE or Mojo's in Cedar Falls, you're very bad at judging age.

I don't remember the last time I saw a police officer in a bar in Cedar Falls.

Homecoming is the only time of year where the police are really noticeable.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Let me get this straight. Iowa fans are defending the actions of Iowa players by what happens or doesn't happen at UNI?

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Let me get this straight. Iowa fans are defending the actions of Iowa players by what happens or doesn't happen at UNI?

That's some creative interpretation. But hey we're up to 19 posts in this thread now! Only 150 or so to go and it'd be like it was an Iowa player!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron