Are you still planning on traveling for Spring break?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CloneGuy8, Mar 11, 2020.

?

Are you still traveling for Spring break?

1. Yes

60 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. No

102 vote(s)
    63.0%
  1. TexCyted

TexCyted Member

Oct 30, 2018
    Male
    Education
    DFW
    Ratings:
    +92 / 4 / -2
    We were supposed to leave for NOLA on Wednesday but cancelled Wednesday night. Friends of ours that are there now have said there seems to be a mass exodus of tourists this week. Could just be spring break winding down. We cancelled more due to the probability of not getting the full experience than fear of getting sick.

2. F5cy

F5cy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Washington, D.C.
    Ratings:
    +157 / 2 / -0

It's because everyone (in this case, I'll say Americans in particular) have this whole mindset that it can happen to everyone except to you. It happens after every catastrophic event. "I didn't think it would ever happen to me".

This is a situation where in the state of Ohio, the head of the Department of Health says that she thinks 10% of their population already has the virus, yet people going on their daily business pretty much the same as always. Famous people who are typically pretty well isolated from "the public" are getting this. That should be a clue that it's highly contagious and we either aren't taking it seriously enough or we aren't getting the whole picture.

Containment efforts have obviously failed everyplace they've been tried so far. I could go on in further detail about this, but people are already of a particular mindset about how serious this situation is and I'm not going to be able to change their minds. All I can suggest is people are going to need to be personally responsible for themselves because any response or assistance you get from an outside organization is clearly going to be too late.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Drew0311

Drew0311 Active Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Male
    Sales
    Norwalk, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1,483 / 204 / -26
    That's what I don't understand. In order for this to work. Everyone would basically have to shut the country down for 3 days, keep everyone at their home, not open any business, fly anywhere. Otherwise it seems pointless. Hopefully they figure it out and it don't get to that level.

4. cowgirl836

cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Ratings:
    +19,012 / 504 / -34

It depends what you want to "work". Completely stopping the virus? Yes, you'd need to completely shut down which is unlikely. Next best is slowing it down. At this rate, we are going to completely overwhelm the medical system and have additional deaths due to lack of available care - see Italy. We need to slow down how quickly this spreads from person to person.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. discydisc

discydisc Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Jan 14, 2014
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +1,969 / 77 / -1
    You would need to shut down for more than 3 days, people have been shown to carry the virus for up to 2 weeks after showing symptoms and can be asymptomatic and still be contagious, Cowgirl's point can't be stressed enough, it's about stretching out the rate that people contract it so we don't overflow the hospitals (if everyone get's sick at once there will be a severe shortage of ventilators).
    [​IMG]
    https://www.fastcompany.com/90476143/the-story-behind-flatten-the-curve-the-defining-chart-of-the-coronavirus

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. jbindm

jbindm Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +7,600 / 218 / -0
    This. It's totally unrealistic to "stop" the virus. That ship sailed a long time ago, and our best long term hope is to develop a vaccine. Since that's a long way off, all that we can do in the meantime is slow the spread so that those who do get seriously sick don't all do so at once and overwhelm the healthcare system. The goal at this point, and you're probably sick and tired of hearing this phrase already, should be to flatten the curve so that we can manage the virus. Right now it's spreading faster than we can keep up with it. It could be weeks or more before we even have a handle on how many people have been infected.

7. Brandon

Brandon Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Near Ames
    Ratings:
    +4,683 / 339 / -6
    I'll be traveling to and from work.

8. dafarmer

dafarmer Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Male
    Duh- farming
    SW Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1,332 / 63 / -6
    Wife and daughter were going to New York to visit friends, relatives, and see a show. Asked me yesterday what I thought, and I told them I preferred to have them not go but it was up to them. They canceled and soon Broadway shut down and friends said not to come.

9. Halincandenza

Halincandenza Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +4,547 / 489 / -28
    Only places I would still go are trips to the outdoors where you aren't going to be around hundreds of people.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Professional Pongid Pundit
    traipsing thru the treetops
    Ratings:
    +27,365 / 585 / -17
    I started the conversation with my sisters last night, one in College Station, TX, and the other just southeast of Seattle. We are planning to gather for my father's birthday on the 28th at the Texas sister's home (he lives in an independent apartment group complex near her. He's turning 96. It's a tough decision. On the one hand, we don't have a lot of birthdays left with him and I know that he would be extremely disappointed. On the other hand, with us traveling by car (gas stations, restaurants, hotels) and other sis flying down coming from a county in Washington that is under partial lockdown and being on planes & in airports), I finally had to ask them if they really think it's a good idea to gather in a group with an elderly man right now.

We're still talking.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. cowgirl836

cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Ratings:
    +19,012 / 504 / -34

Yikes. It's a bad, bad idea especially for Seattle sis to come in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. isutrevman

isutrevman Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Student
    Ames, IA
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 475 / -54
    The question does need to be raised with regards to the level of precautions that should be taken. What level of precautions will cause more damage to society than just letting the virus take over? Obviously the goal is to find the balance point, where we sacrifice making certain changes to daily life, and some people still get sick and die, but it is limited. But it's a valid question to wonder at what point does the lost production (which includes producing food, medicine and other essential products) cause more harm than the virus? I don't think anyone really knows the answer to that yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ImJustKCClone

Jun 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +27,365 / 585 / -17
    I completely agree, but right now I'm the bad guy.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Drew0311

Drew0311 Active Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Male
    Sales
    Norwalk, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1,483 / 204 / -26
    My daughter and mom were supposed to go to Florida next week. Mom cancelled. Ugh

15. wxman1

wxman1 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +7,209 / 182 / -2
    Still going to Milwaukee this weekend for a bachelor party albeit with a highly modified agenda. No official decision has been made but we are likely cancelling our trip to Honey Creek next week.

16. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Ratings:
    +16,362 / 1,283 / -36
    and this is fairly selfish.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. CapnCy

CapnCy Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Ratings:
    +720 / 18 / -0
    I'm flying to NOLA today (and then driving from there) and will show the fam French Quarter for a meal....I'll be interested to see Bourbon Street (normally a March Friday dinner would be busy)

Also, currently in an airport...definitely seeing folks with masks on...and I think they injected the "cleaning smell" in the air, lol

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  18. jbindm

jbindm Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +7,600 / 218 / -0
    I can see the temptation to forge ahead with the trip. I apologize if I sound callous here but I mean, he's 96 and COVID 19 is hardly the only thing he's going to be susceptible to at that age. And like you said, who knows how many birthdays you have left with him.

I don't know what I'd do in your position. I think I probably agree with you, mostly because by traveling you're not only potentially putting your father at increased risk but yourself and others as well. Difficult decision for sure.

19. MeanDean

MeanDean Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic

Jan 5, 2009
    Male
    Retired Civil Engineer
    Clarence IA-Jensen Beach FL
    Ratings:
    +6,959 / 37 / -0
    I agree with what most others have said. I would be on your side. The other thing is, if he does contract it (probably not from you 3 but maybe) you'd always kind of kick yourself for thinking one of you may have been the one to bring it to him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ImJustKCClone

Jun 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +27,365 / 585 / -17
    Update. Conference call with them this afternoon after Trump's address to the nation.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1