Are you still planning on traveling for Spring break?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Are you still traveling for Spring break?

• Yes

Votes: 60 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 102 63.0%

• Total voters

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
We were supposed to leave for NOLA on Wednesday but cancelled Wednesday night. Friends of ours that are there now have said there seems to be a mass exodus of tourists this week. Could just be spring break winding down. We cancelled more due to the probability of not getting the full experience than fear of getting sick.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
IM confused by this whole virus thing. Like no big crowds but people still go out to the bars, grocery stores, and a bunch of other places. So I am kind of confused by the whole thing to be honest. I was at a bar last night and it was really busy. Right now my family plans on flying to Florida on Monday and coming back the following Monday.

It's because everyone (in this case, I'll say Americans in particular) have this whole mindset that it can happen to everyone except to you. It happens after every catastrophic event. "I didn't think it would ever happen to me".

This is a situation where in the state of Ohio, the head of the Department of Health says that she thinks 10% of their population already has the virus, yet people going on their daily business pretty much the same as always. Famous people who are typically pretty well isolated from "the public" are getting this. That should be a clue that it's highly contagious and we either aren't taking it seriously enough or we aren't getting the whole picture.

Containment efforts have obviously failed everyplace they've been tried so far. I could go on in further detail about this, but people are already of a particular mindset about how serious this situation is and I'm not going to be able to change their minds. All I can suggest is people are going to need to be personally responsible for themselves because any response or assistance you get from an outside organization is clearly going to be too late.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
It's because everyone (in this case, I'll say Americans in particular) have this whole mindset that it can happen to everyone except to you. It happens after every catastrophic event. "I didn't think it would ever happen to me".

This is a situation where in the state of Ohio, the head of the Department of Health says that she thinks 10% of their population already has the virus, yet people going on their daily business pretty much the same as always. Famous people who are typically pretty well isolated from "the public" are getting this. That should be a clue that it's highly contagious and we either aren't taking it seriously enough or we aren't getting the whole picture.

Containment efforts have obviously failed everyplace they've been tried so far. I could go on in further detail about this, but people are already of a particular mindset about how serious this situation is and I'm not going to be able to change their minds. All I can suggest is people are going to need to be personally responsible for themselves because any response or assistance you get from an outside organization is clearly going to be too late.

That's what I don't understand. In order for this to work. Everyone would basically have to shut the country down for 3 days, keep everyone at their home, not open any business, fly anywhere. Otherwise it seems pointless. Hopefully they figure it out and it don't get to that level.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
That's what I don't understand. In order for this to work. Everyone would basically have to shut the country down for 3 days, keep everyone at their home, not open any business, fly anywhere. Otherwise it seems pointless. Hopefully they figure it out and it don't get to that level.

It depends what you want to "work". Completely stopping the virus? Yes, you'd need to completely shut down which is unlikely. Next best is slowing it down. At this rate, we are going to completely overwhelm the medical system and have additional deaths due to lack of available care - see Italy. We need to slow down how quickly this spreads from person to person.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames

It depends what you want to "work". Completely stopping the virus? Yes, you'd need to completely shut down which is unlikely. Next best is slowing it down. At this rate, we are going to completely overwhelm the medical system and have additional deaths due to lack of available care - see Italy. We need to slow down how quickly this spreads from person to person.
You would need to shut down for more than 3 days, people have been shown to carry the virus for up to 2 weeks after showing symptoms and can be asymptomatic and still be contagious, Cowgirl's point can't be stressed enough, it's about stretching out the rate that people contract it so we don't overflow the hospitals (if everyone get's sick at once there will be a severe shortage of ventilators).
i-7-90474434-the-best-sources-for-tracking-covid-19-according-to-mapping-experts.jpg

https://www.fastcompany.com/9047614...e-curve-the-defining-chart-of-the-coronavirus

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

This. It's totally unrealistic to "stop" the virus. That ship sailed a long time ago, and our best long term hope is to develop a vaccine. Since that's a long way off, all that we can do in the meantime is slow the spread so that those who do get seriously sick don't all do so at once and overwhelm the healthcare system. The goal at this point, and you're probably sick and tired of hearing this phrase already, should be to flatten the curve so that we can manage the virus. Right now it's spreading faster than we can keep up with it. It could be weeks or more before we even have a handle on how many people have been infected.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Wife and daughter were going to New York to visit friends, relatives, and see a show. Asked me yesterday what I thought, and I told them I preferred to have them not go but it was up to them. They canceled and soon Broadway shut down and friends said not to come.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I started the conversation with my sisters last night, one in College Station, TX, and the other just southeast of Seattle. We are planning to gather for my father's birthday on the 28th at the Texas sister's home (he lives in an independent apartment group complex near her. He's turning 96. It's a tough decision. On the one hand, we don't have a lot of birthdays left with him and I know that he would be extremely disappointed. On the other hand, with us traveling by car (gas stations, restaurants, hotels) and other sis flying down coming from a county in Washington that is under partial lockdown and being on planes & in airports), I finally had to ask them if they really think it's a good idea to gather in a group with an elderly man right now.

We're still talking.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I started the conversation with my sisters last night, one in College Station, TX, and the other just southeast of Seattle. We are planning to gather for my father's birthday on the 28th at the Texas sister's home (he lives in an independent apartment group complex near her. He's turning 96. It's a tough decision. On the one hand, we don't have a lot of birthdays left with him and I know that he would be extremely disappointed. On the other hand, with us traveling by car (gas stations, restaurants, hotels) and other sis flying down coming from a county in Washington that is under partial lockdown and being on planes & in airports), I finally had to ask them if they really think it's a good idea to gather in a group with an elderly man right now.

We're still talking.

Yikes. It's a bad, bad idea especially for Seattle sis to come in.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
So I’m supposed to just lock myself in my house until “who knows”?

I understand that this illness, like most others, is very contagious and is harder on certain sections of the population than others. It sucks. It really does. I have family/friends in more vulnerable situations, like most everyone else. I’m not in a position to tell someone how to handle this, but I will say this...as long as it’s still legal to move about and enjoy my life while I can, I’m going to ******* do it.
The question does need to be raised with regards to the level of precautions that should be taken. What level of precautions will cause more damage to society than just letting the virus take over? Obviously the goal is to find the balance point, where we sacrifice making certain changes to daily life, and some people still get sick and die, but it is limited. But it's a valid question to wonder at what point does the lost production (which includes producing food, medicine and other essential products) cause more harm than the virus? I don't think anyone really knows the answer to that yet.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Still going to Milwaukee this weekend for a bachelor party albeit with a highly modified agenda. No official decision has been made but we are likely cancelling our trip to Honey Creek next week.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
So I’m supposed to just lock myself in my house until “who knows”?

I understand that this illness, like most others, is very contagious and is harder on certain sections of the population than others. It sucks. It really does. I have family/friends in more vulnerable situations, like most everyone else. I’m not in a position to tell someone how to handle this, but I will say this...as long as it’s still legal to move about and enjoy my life while I can, I’m going to ******* do it.

and this is fairly selfish.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
We were supposed to leave for NOLA on Wednesday but cancelled Wednesday night. Friends of ours that are there now have said there seems to be a mass exodus of tourists this week. Could just be spring break winding down. We cancelled more due to the probability of not getting the full experience than fear of getting sick.

I'm flying to NOLA today (and then driving from there) and will show the fam French Quarter for a meal....I'll be interested to see Bourbon Street (normally a March Friday dinner would be busy)

Also, currently in an airport...definitely seeing folks with masks on...and I think they injected the "cleaning smell" in the air, lol

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

We're still talking.

I can see the temptation to forge ahead with the trip. I apologize if I sound callous here but I mean, he's 96 and COVID 19 is hardly the only thing he's going to be susceptible to at that age. And like you said, who knows how many birthdays you have left with him.

I don't know what I'd do in your position. I think I probably agree with you, mostly because by traveling you're not only potentially putting your father at increased risk but yourself and others as well. Difficult decision for sure.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

We're still talking.
I agree with what most others have said. I would be on your side. The other thing is, if he does contract it (probably not from you 3 but maybe) you'd always kind of kick yourself for thinking one of you may have been the one to bring it to him.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I agree with what most others have said. I would be on your side. The other thing is, if he does contract it (probably not from you 3 but maybe) you'd always kind of kick yourself for thinking one of you may have been the one to bring it to him.
Update. Conference call with them this afternoon after Trump's address to the nation.

• Optimistic
  • Friendly
Reactions: CapnCy and MeanDean