Are we disconnected from the outdoors?

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
One reason I like where I live is the ease with which I can enjoy the outdoors.

Nevertheless, I notice so many kids that are disconnected from the natural world.

I went on a Cruise in the Gulf of Alaska last summer and kids were more interested in playing their electronic games on board the ship than viewing sea otters, whales, bears, etc.

With all the electronic distractions, do you think that it matters whether there is a disconnect with nature with so many people and especially children?

clonefan_80

May 28, 2007
Ames
I didn't have a gaming system when I was growing up, and granted, I'm a little biased, but I like how I turned out. Out of all the other toys my parents bought me, all I ever played with were solid, wood blocks and a ball. NOTHING bad can come of a kid if he doesn't have a Nintendo to play, other than maybe getting made fun of for having cheap parents every now and then. I am never buying my kids a gaming system.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I am one that prefers the indoor and electronics from the outdoors. Part of it is just a comfort factor. The other part is that my favorite hobby is video games. Do I think it is a bad thing? No.

There are even times that I wish I enjoyed the outdoors more, but if I'm not tailgating or at a craw fish boil then there aren't many other activities outside that I have found that I really enjoy.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
i always played outside when i was a kid.. once i hit HS i started playin more vid games but stil did alot out side.. out of highschool.. and not goin to college right now.. im indoors alot.. and with gas prices.. it just sucks..

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
At a minimum I take an hour out of my day and run on a remote road with my two dogs.

Even my house is located in an area where I am as likely to view moose or reindeer as I am people.

Obviously I am a nature freak.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I grew up attached to the hip of my NES and Sega Genesis growing up, but I still appreciated the trips my parents took us on, which often including camping, hiking, and skiing. Obviously there are a lot of electronic distractions out there, but it's up to the parents to expose their kids to better things when they're young, instead of complaining that playing their Nintendo DS is all they ever do.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
It's about balance... Or trying to balance life.

Kids will be kids. They will play video games and watch TV... Heck, even I do that.

If you engage them in an outdoor activity they will have fun. I think that I had a fairly "balanced" life as a child, that is what is important.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I find a zen like calm whenever I am knee to hip deep in a stream fly fishing. The cool water flowing by, the sound of the stream gurgling it is all priceless.

Fishing never really did it for me until I moved out here and tried fly fishing. Maybe it is age and stress, but getting out into the mountains to fish really wipes away the rigor of living in the city.

ISUCyclones

Nov 10, 2007
Ames
I love hunting, it's not just about being with my father and grandfather anymore. I've really started to enjoy the skills and doing something that is so natural and innate.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
It's about balance... Or trying to balance life.

Kids will be kids. They will play video games and watch TV... Heck, even I do that.

If you engage them in an outdoor activity they will have fun. I think that I had a fairly "balanced" life as a child, that is what is important.

I hear that, that's me in a nutshell. I loved my childhood here in Iowa. I grew up on a farm, so obviously a lot of time was spent outside, huge backyard, tons of animals to mess around with, feed, clean, etc. But also at night came my huge affinity for video and computer gaming, now that I am grown and living city lifestyle (you prolly would never assume I was a country boy from my looks) I stay inside maybe a lil bit more, but I still love to jog and boat and get outside. But a lot of it depends on the weather. Iowa weather can be insane at times (i.e. April 11 & 12 2008 VEISHEA) But the summers are BEAUTIFUL and I am out a lot more then and am much more physically fit than in the winter when I hibernate. But I totally agree too much of either can be bad. I have a friend who is a nature FREAK, which is neat that he knows and loves so much about nature, the woods, etc. but he is basically unhireable at any corporate-type job, he can't use a computer worth jack (just think about that in this day and age), he watches zero TV or movies and its he is very socially hard to relate to. On the other hand I know someone who sits in their room all day playing the same video game, he prolly played it for a year (no joke, hes logged it in hours) and he pretty much wastes away his time in his room and has little or no social life and is also very socially awkward from it. If he isn't talking about leveling up on his game (which no one ever wants to hear about n e way), he doesn't bring a lot to the table. So I believe its all about balancing the stuff in your life and your kids life.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
We're extremely lucky to be able to live on a mountain, in the forest, in densely populated Germany. It's technically against the law to build a house outside of city limits, so this is rare, here.

Growing up, I lived out of doors. My mom had to drag me kicking and screaming into the house, and if the weather was nice and the bugs weren't too bad, I'd sleep outside on the trampoline.

I love the outdoors. Unfortunately, in my line of work, it's mainly indoors, but I have a nice window to look out....

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
How can anyone honestly believe that their fat nerd kid is better off playing a video game rather than getting in trouble outdoors?

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
As a child, I never had a video game system except a ghetto game boy five years after it came out. That said, I have always loved video games and think that in small doses, they can improve visual acuity and problem solving skills. However, it is obvious that the generation that is growing through our schools today get little to no chance to go play outside because of many parents' irrational fear of the things that will happen to them. The way to growth is not through sheltering, but through exposure to as many different types of worldly things as possible. A favorite thing of mine to do is to bring a friend to nature who has not previously had much exposure to wild places. If more children were exposed to nature today, there would be far less violence and gang activities going on, I believe.

RTBIO

Apr 11, 2006
Western shore
I am one that prefers the indoor and electronics from the outdoors. Part of it is just a comfort factor. The other part is that my favorite hobby is video games. Do I think it is a bad thing? No.

There are even times that I wish I enjoyed the outdoors more, but if I'm not tailgating or at a craw fish boil then there aren't many other activities outside that I have found that I really enjoy.

OUCH! That is REALLY sad!

...That said, I have always loved video games and think that in small doses, they can improve visual acuity and problem solving skills.

So gardening, landscaping, camping, hiking, etc., etc., don't accomplish this in a much healthier way?

I love the outdoors and cherish the fact that my job lets me be outdoors often. It saddens me that so many just don't care about the world beyond their walls.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
I have always enjoyed the outdoors, I am an avid hunter and enjoy fishing as well. We had a Nintendo growing up and we were able to do both without much difficulty. My daughters also love hunting and fishing but also play Playstation on a regular basis. We have found time for both in our lives.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I played video games growing up but I still spent most of my days outside playing sports. I love my video games, but they aren't my life. Sometimes I wonder if the kids that do nothing but sit indoors playing video games are lacking some sort of social skills or use the video games as an escape from parents who dont give them enough attention. Alot of parents think its ok to plop their kids in front of the videogame/tv babysitter. So naturally that is what they come to think is normal.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
My wife and I have always enjoyed the outdoors. When we lived in CO, we took up backpacking. The mountains are beautiful once you hike in on a trail far enough that you won't see a tourist. Camping miles out in a National Park, Wilderness Area, or National Forest is very peaceful. We'll really miss that being back in Iowa. We are already planning a backpacking trip for this summer to CO.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I have always loved video games and think that in small doses, they can improve visual acuity and problem solving skills.

"Problem solving skills" that involved severely limited choices such as are found in video games, and visual acuity as are found on video screens are pretty pathetic, considering that the world is nuanced, shaded and severely analog.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think we got a Nintendo when I was in 5th grade, I might have played it 10 times. I think my babysitters played it more than I did. I was very lucky to grow up where I did, there was tons to do. The summer day care at our country club was awesome. We would play golf in the morning, go to the beach, play tennis then hang at the pool untill our parents got us. If we weren't doing that we were playing baseball on the culdesac, fishing, golfing, skateboarding, you name it. I have never really had the patience for video games, I just don't see the fun in sitting in front of a TV destroying your thumbs...