Aquatic center in Ames,

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
When has an aquatic center ever been voted down in Ames?

The 2003 attempt, which would have included a 6-lane/25m indoor pool and an 8-lane/50m outdoor pool, water slides, leisure pools, and kids areas only got a 43% yes vote (needed 60%).

They junked the indoor pool portion, scaled the outdoor portion back, and tried again in 2007. That passed, and became the Furman Aquatic Center.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
So, how
The 2003 attempt, which would have included a 6-lane/25m indoor pool and an 8-lane/50m outdoor pool, water slides, leisure pools, and kids areas only got a 43% yes vote (needed 60%).

They junked the indoor pool portion, scaled the outdoor portion back, and tried again in 2007. That passed, and became the Furman Aquatic Center.
I'm wondering if Carr was still open at the time and then Furman passed when Carr was shut down?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
So, how

I'm wondering if Carr was still open at the time and then Furman passed when Carr was shut down?

Carr closed at the end of the 2009 season, and Furman opened in May 2010. So there was really no gap without an outdoor pool.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Carr closed at the end of the 2009 season, and Furman opened in May 2010. So there was really no gap without an outdoor pool.
Yeah, I guess I can kind of see why some may have voted down in 03 if Carr was still open and not beyond repair and then voted yes 5ish years later when it was evident Carr was dying.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Based on the clues, I think people are referring to New Life Church, which is north of the golf facility, on the southern outskirts of Ames, and on the west side of 69.

No its on hwy 30, and interstate 35

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I think i am now in the "Ames People". On facebook group. Non of this should surprise anyone.

Start a thread on FB on Ames People on thoughts on the aquatic center. I dare you!!:p

Then again the mods that control that group are pretty thin skinned and would shut it down right away if it doesn’t go along with their agenda. If they are the same mods, they vote against any kind of bond related improvement.

Then again the city decided to narrow 30th street by the north Walmart and add bike lanes in curb gutters all the way along 30th and going south on North Duff to 16th. Then they put a right turn lane in to boot. Those bike lanes are horrible as they are where the asphalt and curb gutter meet and the holes, junk, etc that are in those lane do not make for a safe biking path.

Last edited:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Start a thread on FB on Ames People on thoughts on the aquatic center. I dare you!!:p

Then again the mods that control that group are pretty thin skinned and would shut it down right away if it doesn’t go along with their agenda. If they are the same mods, they vote against any kind of bond related improvement.

Then again the city decided to narrow 30th street by the north Walmart and add bike lanes in curb gutters all the way along 30th and going south on North Duff to 16th. Then they put a right turn lane in to boot. Those bike lanes are horrible as they are where the asphalt and curb gutter meet and the holes, junk, etc that are in those lane do not make for a safe biking path.

Hey my wife used to be a mod on there. But it got so stupid she quit.

Reactions: cycloner29

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Wait… so is Dickson for or against the aquatic center? We went from “Ames is anti-growth” to “the compound,” and… what exactly just happened here?

• Funny
Reactions: BigCyFan

Help Support Us

Become a patron