Anyone else following this? (legalization of Fireworks in Iowa)

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
4 or 5 tents in Des Moines? Did they just drive to the first Hy-Vee and then turn around?

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
From everything I've read in this thread, this is more of a neighbor problem than a fireworks problem. Some of you just happen to live next to some really stupid and inconsiderate people. I'm glad I'm in the country. Our fireworks show was large, safe, and amazing and I can't wait to do it again next year.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
If Des Moines is anything like Cedar Rapids, there are tents on just about every available parking lot. My favorite is the one in a church parking lot.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I would argue for a stupidity test to buy them, but they would just get someone else to buy them for them instead.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I would argue for a stupidity test to buy them, but they would just get someone else to buy them for them instead.

Now would be a good time for Republicans to come forward with a proposal to not allow welfare recipients to purchase fireworks. And also a policy to demand drug and alcohol testing before a fireworks purchase can be made.

• Funny
Reactions: cyson

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
A bunch of #sshats left a ton of debris at Ada Hayden the other night. Thank You to the two individuals that went out and cleaned up after seeing the facebook post about it. One guy went out up to his waist to get all the debris they shot off. In all It filled a minivan!! Hope Karma bites the brain dead people that fired them all off and left, in the #ss!!

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Somebody in our town lit their glider swing and canopy on fire. Of course it was right next to the house which the fire dept kept from going up. Volunteer fire dept loves late night fire calls that involve fire, booze and explosives.

• Agree

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
A bunch of #sshats left a ton of debris at Ada Hayden the other night. Thank You to the two individuals that went out and cleaned up after seeing the facebook post about it. One guy went out up to his waist to get all the debris they shot off. In all It filled a minivan!! Hope Karma bites the brain dead people that fired them all off and left, in the #ss!!
Inconsiderate AND illegal. It may have been legal to shoot them off, but it is illegal to litter, isn't it?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Some of us did...but we're lumped in with the ones who didn't.
And yes, our celebrations are legal now - but as I mentioned, I think the time frame is TOO long. I also think things will calm down some in the future. This year was a "wow" moment.

I sincerely hope you're right, but I doubt it. If anything I'm thinking it's even worse next year, now that people have been through the buying process and know exactly which ones are the most powerful and loud.

I don't know. I don't like to complain when I don't have a good solution to offer, but it seems pretty evident that either the state law needs some tweaking or the individual cities and towns need to craft local ordinance to corral the people who can't play by the rules. Davenport is probably got it right by waiting until after the 4th to see how the residents handled things (spoiler alert: poorly) before they got to work putting together a fireworks ban or restrictions. I hope the city of Des Moines takes a similar approach.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
They had Brad Zaun on Channel 13 news last night and he mentioned he was disappointed in the city's limiting where fireworks can be sold and said he hopes they can fix that in the next session. So look for the fireworks to stay around and maybe even more predominate next year.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I would have to agree. The shrapnel that went everywhere wasn't fun to clean up, but I used my leaf blower and went to the neighbors house and across the street and blew it all back towards my driveway. I also walked the yard of the neighbors and picked it up.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I sincerely hope you're right, but I doubt it. If anything I'm thinking it's even worse next year, now that people have been through the buying process and know exactly which ones are the most powerful and loud.

I don't know. I don't like to complain when I don't have a good solution to offer, but it seems pretty evident that either the state law needs some tweaking or the individual cities and towns need to craft local ordinance to corral the people who can't play by the rules. Davenport is probably got it right by waiting until after the 4th to see how the residents handled things (spoiler alert: poorly) before they got to work putting together a fireworks ban or restrictions. I hope the city of Des Moines takes a similar approach.

I'm skeptical of the 'it will get better next year' argument. New years won't be as bad because only permanent locations are allowed to sell during that period and well because it's cold.

So come next summer, those same people will be foaming at the mouth to "blow some **** up".

I hope CR comes to its senses and limits them to a few days around the 4th. I enjoy lighting off a few but it's obvious that too many people are stupid about it.

• Agree

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Brad Zaun on Channel 13 news you should ride with the emergency crews and the fire fighters that night. You might change your tune. I mean a Chicago Bear blew off a few digits right?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Brad Zaun on Channel 13 news you should ride with the emergency crews and the fire fighters that night. You might change your tune. I mean a Chicago Bear blew off a few digits right?

He also stated he has only heard positive comments on the fireworks. I made the comment to my wife that he needs to read CF.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
He also stated he has only heard positive comments on the fireworks. I made the comment to my wife that he needs to read CF.
Based on previous quotes on various topics from the esteemed Mr. Zaun, I believe he has highly selective hearing. I take anything he says with a grain of salt. :)

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Based on previous quotes on various topics from the esteemed Mr. Zaun, I believe he has highly selective hearing. I take anything he says with a grain of salt. :)

Ako Abdul Samad was also on and echoed the Zaun's words that it went well in year 1

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Can't say I'm a fan of the legal fireworks. If people stuck to the letter of the law then I'd be ok with it. But as far as I could tell, all this did was give the idiots who light them off every year anyway easier access to their noisemakers. I live in the Waveland park area and fireworks were being set off well past midnight in the neighborhood. I didn't bother calling the police because they have better things to do, but they shouldn't have been put in that position on the first place. This was a bad idea.

I'm fine with legal fireworks, but I'd like to see them increase the fines and penalties for those who don't use them in a responsible manner (outside established time frames for use and for the local noise ordinances, near things that can be damaged, or doing stupid things).

I can deal with my dogs for a couple days, and within reasonable hours. It's pretty frustrating when my dogs are pacing the floor and looking for hiding spots because some dumb ass is firing them off after midnight.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
We had neighbors right behind us shooting off fireworks Saturday and Sunday nights and as a father of a 3 year old an 8 week old I really didn't have an issue with it as both our kids slept right through them as well as several other nearby neighbors who were setting off fireworks too in the past week. Some of these people already were shooting off fireworks in years past when they were not legal and we expected with the new law there would be much more of it but it's really not that big of deal, you just deal with it for a few days out of the year. It's no worse than someone with a loud stereo or revving their motorcycle late at night. There are plenty of laws we all don't agree with so this is no different and the fact it was the first year for it just made it more popular.

The only annoying thing to me was finding all the plastic shells and cardboard wrappers in my lawn the next day which I just threw back into their yard