Anyone else following this? (legalization of Fireworks in Iowa)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ClonesTwentyOne

Feb 10, 2014
DSM Area
Any other Firework pyros keeping updated with this? From what it sounds it's moving quick and the chances of it passing is likely. State is missing out on ALOT of money right now with it being illegal. Would really enjoy the sale of fireworks in Iowa. I hate having to drive down to Missouri to get them. I'm a guy that would buy fireworks more than just for the 4th of July. I'd spend a good amount of money on them yearly.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...5/05/06/iowa-fireworks-legal-senate/70917174/

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
They might as well since everyone shoots them off any way. I would rather they make them legal, but actually go after the people that shoot them off a week later at midnight. Few things drive me nuts more than lying in bed falling asleep and then some ****** shoots off a bottle rocket down the street.

Hoiball92

Apr 23, 2015
Des Moines
They might as well since everyone shoots them off any way. I would rather they make them legal, but actually go after the people that shoot them off a week later at midnight. Few things drive me nuts more than lying in bed falling asleep and then some ****** shoots off a bottle rocket down the street.
I used to go to a park and light them off late at night. It ****** a lot of people off.

ClonesTwentyOne

Feb 10, 2014
DSM Area

I wouldn't mind some type of "curfew" with them. No one should be shooting them off after midnight unless your out in the country with no one around. Other then that there is no reason fireworks shouldn't be legal

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I lived in a state they were legal and you'd hear of people making thousands setting up a stand a couple weekends prior to the 4th.

To me, another reminder the economy isn't in that bad of shape.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Oh, joy....my dog freaks the **** out every time the rednecks down the street pop 'em off any random ****ing time. 2 o'clock on a Wednesday? Hey...fireworks! !!!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I've been really glad this has been moving through so quickly and unimportant things like passing education budgets have been stalled out for over a year.
Which... isnt how legislation works at all. Numerous things can work at once, but more contentious things (agree or disagree on which side or whether it should be as contentious) often move more slowly.

These should be legal to buy and possess. Iowa is just missing out on revenue. That being said i would expect most cities to put a lot of limits on their use, if not outright banning them within city limits.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
They are legal in our town in KS (Andover). It is freaking amazing. The whole town blows itself up and nobody gets hurt.

I have debated setting up a stand if it passes.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Guess I'll never understand "fireworks guy".

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

because_merica_thats_why_us_flag_poster_large-raad8f53405bb4542ae098d89e2fe581f_8ep1d_8byvr_324.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Bigman38

arobb

Jan 4, 2014

Yes, because America, and roman candle gatling guns...
[video=youtube_share;ljbHrO4y81Q]http://youtu.be/ljbHrO4y81Q[/video]

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I don't mind fireworks on the 4th and a day or two before or after, but I really don't want to be hearing them all summer long. I wonder what Urbandale police will do for kicks if they can't enforce their zero tolerance law of fining people $65-625 for setting them off?

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
What do you mean? Just wondering.

I can't speak for Feak, but personally, I've never been that impressed with fireworks. Being colorblind prolly plays into it, I've never been all "Oooh, ahhh" over the colors. And home fireworks to me aren't any better...they're even less impressive with the possibility of bodily injury or property damage. That's cool when you're young and dumb, but loses its luster with kids and a mortgage. Add in the fact that my redneck neighbors blow them off randomly and then my dog is traumatized for a day and a half....yeah, I'm more annoyed by them than impressed.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Legalize things that blow kids faces off.

Do not legalize pot that does not blow kids faces off.

I love America but I hate the vocal minority of "Jesus walked with the Dinosaurs anything that blows up is American god guns and cheap gas" Americans.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Legalize things that blow kids faces off.

Do not legalize pot that does not blow kids faces off.

I love America but I hate the vocal minority of "Jesus walked with the Dinosaurs anything that blows up is American god guns and cheap gas" Americans.

Welp, it's been fun non-cave dwellers.

• Funny
Reactions: oldman

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I can't speak for Feak, but personally, I've never been that impressed with fireworks. Being colorblind prolly plays into it, I've never been all "Oooh, ahhh" over the colors. And home fireworks to me aren't any better...they're even less impressive with the possibility of bodily injury or property damage. That's cool when you're young and dumb, but loses its luster with kids and a mortgage. Add in the fact that my redneck neighbors blow them off randomly and then my dog is traumatized for a day and a half....yeah, I'm more annoyed by them than impressed.

Gotcha. In KS we went over to friends of ours whose subdivision was pretty undeveloped and did it there. In our neighborhood there were cul-de-sac's that would all go in together and buy like $1k worth and blow it all up.

There were numerous smaller stands but one big one. As in you could easily fit 2-3 Walgreen's under this thing.