Ankeny to extend High Trestle Trail

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Des Moines needs to step up now and build from the end of HTT near 2nd and I80 directly west to Neil Smith. That would give all of Ankeny a bike commute to downtown and connect a lot of trails to a hub in the Grays Lake area.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
That is awesome. I live about a mile off the Neal Smith trail where it connects to the visitor's center. Would be awesome to be connected even further around Ankeny.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Des Moines needs to step up now and build from the end of HTT near 2nd and I80 directly west to Neil Smith. That would give all of Ankeny a bike commute to downtown and connect a lot of trails to a hub in the Grays Lake area.
Yes, please.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I would love to see it connect with the Neil Smith trail on the south. Most of the time I will bike up the Neil Smith to Polk City and then take the road to the HTT. This would just open things up a lot easier for bikers wanting to have a nice long all day ride. Anyone know if the Neil Smith is open after repairs yet??

The HTT will someday reach Perry. Which was recently added to the Raccoon River Trail system. That would make for a heck of a loop starting in Ankeny going to Perry, down to Dallas Center, Waukee, and then back up to Ankeny.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Have you heard about the new trail going up in Marshalltown to Iowa Falls? Bike trail receives $770,000 grant - TimesRepublican.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community info - Times Republican

Glad we are getting so many good trails around the area.

The Sauk Rail Trail is looking at expanding also. 2 ideas would be Lake View to Sac City. Or Carroll to Jefferson, which I think is the ultimate goal in having that trail reach over there so you could bike from Carroll to Des Moines in a day.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I love biking and don't mind when they used the road....except when they use the road and not more than 20 feet away is a nice wide bike path....

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames

Aren't you pretty conservative politically? Where is this love of those enviro-crazy bikers coming from?:wink:

I love this news though. I agree, it is great to a have a bike trail to make it easier (and probably safer) for people to bike to work. Win-win for their health and less pollution for the rest of us to breathe in. Good news.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
It appears that Ankeny is incorporating bike paths into all the commercial development south of the airport, essentially linking up with a proposed extension of the Chichaqua Trail through Altoona. If there were just a safe crossing over I-35 somewhere it wouldn't be impossible to ride paved trail from Baxter to who-knows-where via Ankeny.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Where is the nearest connecting trail to the south end?

Isn't Woodward supposed to connect to Perry one of these days? Would love to bike that loop.

I think the problem is that part of the railroad line was sold off to adjacent landowners. The railroad still had the Madrid to Woodward section. The Woorward to Perry part will be very difficult to accomplish.

I love the high bridge. Especially now with the fall colors.

norsemen

Apr 13, 2006
Rode the HTT on Sunday. Big crowds biking with cars parked at the Woodward trailhead from Illinois, Nebraska, and Minnesota. The fall view from he bridge was fantastic despite the very low Des Moines River levels. Had a beer and burger at the Whistlin' Donkey to top off the day.

Let's hope these trails bring in visitors and help the local economy as well as provide a great quality of life factor for us locals.

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
Do any of you have an old bike thats trail ready and are willing to sell? I put about $180 into an old Trek of my dads and something just doesnt feel right. Maybe a tad small.

I live in Johnston and love the paved and dirt trails around here. Never biked HTT but heard great things.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Supposedly, there is going to be a RV campground in Woodward (may be there now). Havent eaten at the Whistling Donkey but did at the place on their main street - Cayanne's? Not bad. Have enjoyed a beer or two at bar in Madrid and the Nighthawk in Slater.

Would be good for all the towns along there if they could get some out-of-towners to camp there and spend some money.

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
All you central Iowa bicycle enthusiasts, especially those who ride the HTT, please consider a donation to the Ankeny AMP

Ankeny AMP Market & Pavillion: Home

i'm on the steering committee for the project and we still need financial donations in order to break ground next spring. No donation is too small and all donations are tax deductible.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
It appears that Ankeny is incorporating bike paths into all the commercial development south of the airport, essentially linking up with a proposed extension of the Chichaqua Trail through Altoona. If there were just a safe crossing over I-35 somewhere it wouldn't be impossible to ride paved trail from Baxter to who-knows-where via Ankeny.

Unfortunately the Chichaqua trail is not all paved to Baxter right now. I don't know if the plan is to re-pave but from Mingo east there are long stretches of crushed gravel that make it very hard for a road bike. I started driving to Mingo and headed towards Bondurant and back. I hope the plan is to re-pave but I'm not sure it is.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron