Andrew Long arrested for fake ID and fighting police

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I usually take police reports of resisting arrest with several grains of salt. If it is a sure thing that a drunk will act the fool, it is equally certain that police will stretch the truth in their report. To say the least, I don't think this should get him kicked off the team.

Law and order types may now bomb away ...

i witnessed this, him fighting with the police is getting overblown, he was running his mouth, while that is wrong i didn't know it was cause for whipping out the taser. If he would have been honest and gave them his real id while he would pry get in trouble it wouldn't be this bad.

Reactions: CyForPresident

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
im just saying he will get a second chance and he deserves one. everyone gets them. He is a good kid that made one dumb mistake and he will pay his fines for it, he will get a second chance.

So this is the first time he has been out drinking with a fake ID? I am thinking his decision making has been flawed for a while.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
So this is the first time he has been out drinking with a fake ID? I am thinking his decision making has been flawed for a while.

The odds of him being kicked off are like 10% IMO. He would have to lip off to KJ in order for that to happen. He just has to apologize and take the necessary steps to come back.

Plus, he's just to damn valuable to lose.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
im just saying he will get a second chance and he deserves one. everyone gets them. He is a good kid that made one dumb mistake and he will pay his fines for it, he will get a second chance.

Which dumb mistake?

Getting a fake ID?
Being in the bar underage?
Being in the middle of a dispute?
Lying about his identity?
Doing something stupid where he got stunned?
Fighting back at the hospital?

And no, not everyone gets/deserves second chances.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
One of the keys to a long career in the PD with no on the job injuries is not to screw around with guys who want to fight. Use the tools you have and subdue them immediately.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
One of the keys to a long career in the PD with no on the job injuries is not to screw around with guys who want to fight. Use the tools you have and subdue them immediately.

EXACTLY. My cousin is a police officer in Milwaukee and they were trying to subdue a drunk one night after he had started a fight at a bar. Rather than tase him when he started getting rowdy, they tried to physically get him under control. The guy reared back and broke a beer bottle over my cousin's partner's face and demolished his eye socket. Several surgeries later, he still isn't back on the police force. Ohh and the guy was 145 lbs...

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
I hope your boss sees this, and remembers this the next time you ****-up.

I don't think there will every be an issue with me starting a bar fight and resisting arrest, twice in the same night. And also, I don't get to have a free education for wrestling. He was supposed to represent the university and his team in an appropriate manner. I don't feel sorry for him, it is no one's fault but his own. Take your stupid thought and instead of typing it, use your hand, wipe and flush.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
He should get a second chance. Like others said, extra conditioning and suspension should do it. Now, if he continues and does it again, then yes, kick him off the team.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I think that Jackson will want some more information as to what being "combative" was all about. If Long hit an officer then I can see this being extremely serious. If he just didn't want handcuffs put on and resisted that then this may not be much. From the article it really didn't tell how far Long went so it's hard to tell what's going to happen to him. I have to believe that if he was indeed trying to assault an officer that there would be more charges than harassment of a public official.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Are we sure it was him? I mean there are several Andrew Longs that live in Creston and have the same birthday???? Chances are it wasn't the Andrew Long who wrestles for ISU..........:jimlad:

Istate

Jul 15, 2008
We knew we were going to see some of this stuff when Jackson took over. He couldn't run the olympic training center with adults. It wasn't hard to imagine what would happen with him at the helm of a bunch of 18-22 year old kids. If Long (or others) can get it done on the mat, I can handle some of these minor transgressions. He'll be on the team this fall, and I would be surprised if he missed any meaningfull action.

These kids are wrestlers. They have a different mentality. Their coach is a rough and tough son of a gun that doesn't mind a little bit of 'rough around the edges' type attitudes. He's not a disciplinarian say like Chizik. I'm not saying that he's going to be trolling Anamosa for 157ers, but he isn't going to put the fear of God in anyone like Chizik did if they make a mistake. Sometimes that's what it takes to get to the next level. I just hope that coach Jackson can get the team to perform when it counts, and that wrestlers can respect his somewhat freelance style of coaching.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
These kids are wrestlers. They have a different mentality. Their coach is a rough and tough son of a gun that doesn't mind a little bit of 'rough around the edges' type attitudes. He's not a disciplinarian say like Chizik. I'm not saying that he's going to be trolling Anamosa for 157ers, but he isn't going to put the fear of God in anyone like Chizik did if they make a mistake. Sometimes that's what it takes to get to the next level. I just hope that coach Jackson can get the team to perform when it counts, and that wrestlers can respect his somewhat freelance style of coaching.

I don't care if they're underwater basket weavers. I don't care who their coach is, I don't care what their name is, it is NOT too hard to expect scholarship athletes to behave themselves. There is absolutely zero reason for them to do stupid **** like this knowing fully well they represent Iowa State more than a normal student does. I hope they perform well when it counts, but if it comes at the expense of having a respectable program off the mat, I'll pass. One person, not a big deal. If it becomes a trend, changes need to start happening.

Success or lack of success on the mat should not cause expectations off the mat to change. I expect all of the athletes to represent Iowa State in a positive light, not in the police blotter.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
I don't think there will every be an issue with me starting a bar fight and resisting arrest, twice in the same night. And also, I don't get to have a free education for wrestling. He was supposed to represent the university and his team in an appropriate manner. I don't feel sorry for him, it is no one's fault but his own. Take your stupid thought and instead of typing it, use your hand, wipe and flush.

Whoa cowboy! You didn't really specify no second chances per specific scenario, so I took it as general - so for that, I would call hypocrite.

For me, I'm for second chances - I've certainly benefitted from a few in my life - granted, I wasn't on scholarship... but should it matter??