HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Which dumb mistake?

Getting a fake ID?
Being in the bar underage?
Being in the middle of a dispute?
Lying about his identity?
Doing something stupid where he got stunned?
Fighting back at the hospital?

And no, not everyone gets/deserves second chances.

Sounds like he had six chances to stop and reassess. I'm with IcSyU, I'm not about to start accepting incidents like this and chalking it up to the "cost of winning championships". Wrestlers don't get a free pass because they're a different breed anymore than anyone else. That's a cop out for anyone tyhat cares to use it.

That said, it's one incident that none of us have all the facts on so I'll resist immediate condemnation until more is said. I think you have to suspend until that point however. This better tighten the leash a bit for everyone.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Maybe his new slogan should be "I want to be like Mike" Vick. Make a donation to the Police fund and be a spokesman. All will be forgiven :wink:

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
Whoa cowboy! You didn't really specify no second chances per specific scenario, so I took it as general - so for that, I would call hypocrite.

For me, I'm for second chances - I've certainly benefitted from a few in my life - granted, I wasn't on scholarship... but should it matter??

I believe in second chances for most, if he would have accepted the consequences for the ID and just taken the ticket I wouldn't have an issue, but he fought back (allegedly), not once, but twice. People that do this aren't exactly what I would want to represent my university and my team. I have seen it all in my years of partying, I have been on his end getting caught with a fake ID and I have never seen or done what he did. I am not saying I am better, and yes he deserves a second chance somewhere, but not at ISU IMO. This isn't like he just made a little mistake, he fought cops. You may need an attitude to wrestle, but you should be able to control that attitude when not on the mat, personally, if kicking him off means getting second in nationals I say good bye. At least is shows we have a class program and coach.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Boy, all I have to say, is I am glad I never got caught for using a fake ID to drink in the bars for three years that I did it. Who knows what the fight was about, probably a girl. Nothing starts a fight in a bar quicker than a drunk girl flirting with other boys.

And let's stop saying he fought back to the police. There doesn't appear to be a charge of assault of a police officer, just harassment, which probably means he used profanity. He didn't even get charged with resisting arrest from what I read.

I say second chance, with no "third chance" as an option. I am sure there will be some serious conditioning involved as well.

tobyaclone

Mar 6, 2007
Denison
I believe in second chances for most, if he would have accepted the consequences for the ID and just taken the ticket I wouldn't have an issue, but he fought back (allegedly), not once, but twice. People that do this aren't exactly what I would want to represent my university and my team. I have seen it all in my years of partying, I have been on his end getting caught with a fake ID and I have never seen or done what he did. I am not saying I am better, and yes he deserves a second chance somewhere, but not at ISU IMO. This isn't like he just made a little mistake, he fought cops. You may need an attitude to wrestle, but you should be able to control that attitude when not on the mat, personally, if kicking him off means getting second in nationals I say good bye. At least is shows we have a class program and coach.

Well, guess what, you're not making the decision & you know very little about our wrestling program.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Kicking him off the team now without a trial is not fair.

Suspending him from the team while the judicial process is going on is fair, however. Whether he deserved to get tased by the police doesn't matter. He put himself in that position, so he needs to be suspended.

Coach J should keep him on the team, but suspend and punish him.

CycloneJoe

Jan 12, 2009
Carson City
If we support keeping him then we have to realize a lot the iowa arrests are less than this offense.

The Rape guys were run

What Iowa guy has done worse than this and stayed?

Fighting the cops twice pub intox and fake ID

He is lucky its not a felony.

I will never attack OWI because I got away with it 1000 times so I will not throw rocks from a glass house.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
I hope your boss sees this, and remembers this the next time you ****-up.

Seriously? How about the next time your boss comes over and provides proper direction/feedback, you stand up and push him/her around a little.

Let us all know how that turns out for you.

Not saying the guy may not deserve a second chance (way too early at this point to fairly judge) but to compare work with this situation is ludicrous (no not the rapper)!

benisu

Apr 23, 2009
Ames
Again, everyone is making it sound like he punched a cop in the face, spit on them, then kicked them in the nuts. He was charged with "harassment of a public official", not "assaulting an officer".

I'm not justifying what he did, but a Jump to Conclusions Mat is the worst idea I've ever heard of. KJ and the athletic department will make the right decision.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
If we let him back we give up the high ground we have on iowa

right or wrong i like the high ground

I have to respectfully disagree. I feel its time for us to move beyond making decisions based off how that makes us compare to Iowa (in anything).

Any decision in this situations will affect a very young man, a new coach and his legacy at ISU, a team, a university, and its supporters and fans. These things are way more important to me than how it will make us look compared to the Hawks. No matter how much I appreciate the banter and the rivalry, I think the Hawkeye fans are correct about us being the step child of the state until we grow beyond using Iowa University as our benchmark.

Reactions: CYVADER

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron