Andrew Long arrested for fake ID and fighting police

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I have to respectfully disagree. I feel its time for us to move beyond making decisions based off how that makes us compare to Iowa (in anything).

Any decision in this situations will affect a very young man, a new coach and his legacy at ISU, a team, a university, and its supporters and fans. These things are way more important to me than how it will make us look compared to the Hawks. No matter how much I appreciate the banter and the rivalry, I think the Hawkeye fans are correct about us being the step child of the state until we grow beyond using Iowa University as our benchmark.
You are correct a hundred times over.

I don't care what people here "claim" is important. If we win and there is subversive activities in the program, no one will say anything because we're winning. The instant we lose a game/match/meet, though, everyone will complain. What Long did as far as has been disclosed is not grounds for being dismissed from the team. Missing the first meet or two? Yea. Losing the scholly? Nope.

IMO, the only people that are saying that he should "get lost" are those that feel that taking a different stance than Iowa FB (ONE SPORT) somehow makes us better than them, which it doesn't.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
You are correct a hundred times over.

I don't care what people here "claim" is important. If we win and there is subversive activities in the program, no one will say anything because we're winning. The instant we lose a game/match/meet, though, everyone will complain. What Long did as far as has been disclosed is not grounds for being dismissed from the team. Missing the first meet or two? Yea. Losing the scholly? Nope.

IMO, the only people that are saying that he should "get lost" are those that feel that taking a different stance than Iowa FB (ONE SPORT) somehow makes us better than them, which it doesn't.

I'm not sure I agree. I will most likely agree with Coach KJ, assuming he makes Long earn his way back to the mat.

Long showed disregard for the law (1) Resisted enough that the police tazed him (2) and used his position in athletics as a crutch to try to get out of trouble (3). That's what I have a problem with.

benisu

Apr 23, 2009
Ames
I know this story is about a week old now...but after talking with some friends this past weekend that witnessed the entire situation between Andrew and the police, it sounds like the police did most of the fighting.

Sure, Andrew was in the bar drinking illegally and appears to have started a fight, which is inexcusable. He also tried to initially pass himself off as someone else. When the cops found out he was on the wrestling team, one of the cops walked up to him, put him in a headlock (illegal too, he didn't have an arm :smile:) and cranked on his head 3 times, pulling him in a circle before finally tossing him to the concrete.

The cops held him face down with a knee to the back of the neck while Andrew was jawing at them asking what he had done wrong. By this time a group of people had gathered around and the cop began asking Andrew "Do you want to get tased?" He asked several times with Andrew not responding and he eventually tased Andrew, twice.

Apparently the group of people watching this began yelling at the cops because they had seen most of the situation and obviously didn't believe Andrew's behavior warranted him being tased.

Anyway, just what I heard from some friends that were there. Not making excuses for Andrew because he put himself in that situation...but the story I heard sounds a lot different than the news article.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I know this story is about a week old now...but after talking with some friends this past weekend that witnessed the entire situation between Andrew and the police, it sounds like the police did most of the fighting.

Sure, Andrew was in the bar drinking illegally and appears to have started a fight, which is inexcusable. He also tried to initially pass himself off as someone else. When the cops found out he was on the wrestling team, one of the cops walked up to him, put him in a headlock (illegal too, he didn't have an arm :smile:) and cranked on his head 3 times, pulling him in a circle before finally tossing him to the concrete.

The cops held him face down with a knee to the back of the neck while Andrew was jawing at them asking what he had done wrong. By this time a group of people had gathered around and the cop began asking Andrew "Do you want to get tased?" He asked several times with Andrew not responding and he eventually tased Andrew, twice.

Apparently the group of people watching this began yelling at the cops because they had seen most of the situation and obviously didn't believe Andrew's behavior warranted him being tased.

Anyway, just what I heard from some friends that were there. Not making excuses for Andrew because he put himself in that situation...but the story I heard sounds a lot different than the news article.
There's always two sides, which I appreciate. that and I hate Ames cops. I think the ISU police work a LOT harder at treating students with respect.

Spam

May 21, 2008

Surely someone would have captured this on their phone. If not, the cops have the most credebility in the story.

tobyaclone

Mar 6, 2007
Denison
Surely someone would have captured this on their phone. If not, the cops have the most credebility in the story.

That's BS. Why do the cops automatically get the credability? I know for a fact that most of the young ones right out of the academy are on an ego trip, just itching to show their authority.

I believe benisu, because I've heard firsthand from someone who was there. The whole thing got blown out of proportion to what actually happened and the truth has been woefully distorted.