Ames Population

getcloned

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2008
2010 census lists Ames "metro" population at ~59K. Does this include ISU students?

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
29,000+ Students. Ames has grown almost 9,000 since the 2000 census. University probably grown 3-5K although I don't know for sure on that.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Yeah, there was a big thing at the time to get students to list Ames as their residence to make sure that the population was over 50k so that Ames could qualify for a different level of grants or something like that.

Ames loves the money the students bring in, but hates that they have the audacity to actually live there (unless they can benefit as in a case like this).

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Yeah, there was a big thing at the time to get students to list Ames as their residence to make sure that the population was over 50k so that Ames could qualify for a different level of grants or something like that.

Ames loves the money the students bring in, but hates that they have the audacity to actually live there (unless they can benefit as in a case like this).

That is exactly why I never listed Ames as my residency as a student.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE

Ames becomes an "entitlement" community once they pass 50K, which lines them up for federal grants on anything from housing to community development projects.

The Ames metro area includes all of Story County as well.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

We love the highly paid professionals of the university and tolerate the undergraduate students (particularly those who care more about drinking than classes).

Reactions: Angie

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
We love the highly paid professionals of the university and tolerate the undergraduate students (particularly those who care more about drinking than classes).

you don't have any of it without the students, ames should be a bit more student friendly than it is

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Absolutely. Ames wouldn't exist without the university.

For those who have not lived here both as a student and an older adult over 30, you really are only getting the perspective of just a student.

I felt the same way when I was a student here but as an older adult living in Ames, I do not get the feeling Ames residents despise the students. As I look back at my college years, the times I felt the Ames residence were ******** was when I or the group I was with were doing something stupid we should not have been doing.

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
For those who have not lived here both as a student and an older adult over 30, you really are only getting the perspective of just a student.

I felt the same way when I was a student here but as an older adult living in Ames, I do not get the feeling Ames residents despise the students. As I look back at my college years, the times I felt the Ames residence were ******** was when I or the group I was with were doing something stupid we should not have been doing.

Exactly. Ames only hates the students when they are acting entitled, destructive, or disrespectful to others. They hate the same thing in other adults, as well.

Reactions: jaretac

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I only have a middle of the road opinion, having lived there for two years as a mid twenties grad student. I think there is a balance. The City and its residents know what ISU means to them but that doesnt mean they want to tolerate nonsense. I "Claim(ed) Ames" in the 2000 census.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
I hate the long waits and increased traffic that students bring. As well as the increased number of people who don't know how to drive. Thats the only part about the students that I don't like.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Some of you are pretty ignorant. Every college town in America includes students as part of its' population. And just about every college town that isn't already a major metropolitan area wouldn't exist without its' college, or be as big (wow, that's a huge revelation). I'd estimate that about half of total students actually live in Ames year round.

And it's also a load of crap about the city not liking students. Do you think that because they don't appreciate riots, or having 10 people live in a house built for 4? Brilliant.

Reactions: redrocker

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
2010 census lists Ames "metro" population at ~59K. Does this include ISU students?
I don't know what char you are looking at, that may be the city without the metro, but the metro is around 80,000 or so.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
The metro population is 89,542 for the 2010 census. 59,000 is just for the city. Once a city passes 50k, it and the surrounding area (usually that county) is designated a "metropolitan area" by the government. We became that in 2000.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Some of you are pretty ignorant. Every college town in America includes students as part of its' population. And just about every college town that isn't already a major metropolitan area wouldn't exist without its' college, or be as big (wow, that's a huge revelation). I'd estimate that about half of total students actually live in Ames year round.

And it's also a load of crap about the city not liking students. Do you think that because they don't appreciate riots, or having 10 people live in a house built for 4? Brilliant.

You might want to chill.

Do you remember receiving census form in the mail? Individuals claim their city of residence on those forms. College students could still claim their hometown as their city of residence if the chose to. No city can just start "including students" (or anyone) to their official population numbers.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
or having 10 people live in a house built for 4? Brilliant.

10 would be one thing. Making it technically illegal for 4 to live in a house built for at least that many (3br, 3ba home) is something completely different. We had 4 people in ours (technically against ordinance) because we used the office downstairs as a bedroom. We had a TON of space in that house (over 2k sq ft finished, plus a large 400 sq ft unfinished area in the basement we used for storage and drinking games) so its not like we were packing in a bunch there, but yet the city made it illegal.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
When we lived there after school I didn't have issues with students. I had issues with people who felt that they were not required to follow noise and occupancy laws. Of course a majority of those not following these laws were students.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron