Ames Buffalo Wild Wings, workers in Hawk shirts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I would have had a similar reaction. It just doesn't make sense. Any female Hawkeye fan who is passionate enough about the team to deck themselves out in black and gold shouldn't be working the Ames BWW's to begin with. Forget what town you're in, ladies? Stupid.

Huh, didn't realize the application had a "Who do you cheer for?" line. Also didn't realize that being a hawk of all things deemed her incapable of doing her job.

That *****.

How ****** are some of you that many of Iowa State's professors have doctorates from the University of Iowa? Or that people who work on campus are hawk fans? The horror!

AlumfromAmes

Jun 9, 2010
It shows a lack of support for the local team and majority of customers. It's really more of a low-class move than anything else. Why wouldn't you WANT to support the local team and customers?

In time, word will get around and people will not go there.

Management is free to allow workers to wear whatever they want. Customers are free to go elsewhere. As a Cyclone, I would not go there and would encourage others to go elsewhere. I have every right to do so. Just like they have the right to wear shirts that will eventually cause a drop in business.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I would have had a similar reaction. It just doesn't make sense. Any female Hawkeye fan who is passionate enough about the team to deck themselves out in black and gold shouldn't be working the Ames BWW's to begin with. Forget what town you're in, ladies? Stupid.
Strong way to break your year and a half posting hiatus.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Apparently the Ames location set a record for the most customer complaints. People calling about all the Hawk gear. Pretty much everyone that works there is a Hawk fan. So now corporate said they can't wear anything but neutral BWW cloths or ISU stuff.

I find this funny. And honestly, they SHOULD have to wear neutral gear or ISU gear. This is Ames, where probably 2/3 the population either works for or is enrolled at ISU. I'll say that Ames continues to grow, which means more hawk fans in town. I'm not saying that they can't live in Ames ane root for whoever they want. I wasn't one to complain to BWW management and it didn't stop me from at least trying to go there last week (wait was too long), but to me, it just makes good business sense to curb the iowa crap. Hmmm...personal employee freedom or upsetting your primary customer base? Pretty easy decision if I were manager.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
In time, word will get around and people will not go there.
I'm going to guess this is false. While I don't enjoy BWW they are constantly busy wherever I see them. Also based on this thread the ratio of morons who care about the attire of their waitresses to sane people who know better is very small.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Buffalo Wilds Wings doesn't have to worry about upsetting 10 message board posters. There's a brand name there much bigger than those 10 posters. Old Chicago has Iowa crap up and still seems to do alright.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Management is free to allow workers to wear whatever they want. Customers are free to go elsewhere. As a Cyclone, I would not go there and would encourage others to go elsewhere. I have every right to do so. Just like they have the right to wear shirts that will eventually cause a drop in business.
For me it isn't about people who choose not to eat there, they are free to eat wherever they want for whatever reason. But for people to care enough to actually write a letter to corporate about it is idiotic and just perpetuates the stereotype that we are the insecure little brother.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Buffalo Wilds Wings doesn't have to worry about upsetting 10 message board posters. There's a brand name there much bigger than those 10 posters. Old Chicago has Iowa crap up and still seems to do alright.

This. And I believe the BWW either in Coralville or Iowa City has some Iowa State gear up. Nobody seems to care. I also know I wouldn't be pitching a fit if my waiter/waitress were wearing Cardinals gear just because I'm a Cubs fan. Maybe a little good-humored ribbing back and forth for a minute, and then that would be that.

Why the people so upset about this didn't take a similar approach is beyond me.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I get the Iowa stuff up in an Iowa location. Just keep that KU **** out of here.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
This. And I believe the BWW either in Coralville or Iowa City has some Iowa State gear up. Nobody seems to care. I also know I wouldn't be pitching a fit if my waiter/waitress were wearing Cardinals gear just because I'm a Cubs fan. Maybe a little good-humored ribbing back and forth for a minute, and then that would be that.

Why the people so upset about this didn't take a similar approach is beyond me.
If I gave the server some crap for having hawk crap on and they gave a little back I'd probably tip them better.

And the Coralville BWW had an Iowa State jersey on the wall when I was in there in 2008....don't know if it's still up or not.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I get the Iowa stuff up in an Iowa location. Just keep that KU **** out of here.
I'd write a complaint letter to Jesus and Santa Claus and anyone else who would listen if they had that Jayhawk crap up, **** that noise.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
If I gave the server some crap for having hawk crap on and they gave a little back I'd probably tip them better.

And the Coralville BWW had an Iowa State jersey on the wall when I was in there in 2008....don't know if it's still up or not.

Agreed. It's a sports bar. What would a sports bar be without a little good-natured trash talk?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Obviously, they do, considering the change in policy. But they've had an iowa jersey up on the wall (along with ISU, Drake, UNI, many HS and small college teams not to mention NFL) since the place opened. What was hanging on the walls didn't have anything to do with the complaints. And I'm doubting that anyone would be worried about 10 message board posters, it probably goes a little deeper than that.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
For me it isn't about people who choose not to eat there, they are free to eat wherever they want for whatever reason. But for people to care enough to actually write a letter to corporate about it is idiotic and just perpetuates the stereotype that we are the insecure little brother.

Do you know how long that takes to "actually write a letter to corporate"? I didn't do it and wouldn't do it, but I'm betting that from the second you type in bw3.com, it would take all of 30 seconds to find the "contact us" button, type two sentences and hit submit.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I'm going to guess this is false. While I don't enjoy BWW they are constantly busy wherever I see them. Also based on this thread the ratio of morons who care about the attire of their waitresses to sane people who know better is very small.

It is possible to be sane and care about the attire of your waitress. Case in point....The Tilted Kilt. The Tilted Kilt - Gallery

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Do you know how long that takes to "actually write a letter to corporate"? I didn't do it and wouldn't do it, but I'm betting that from the second you type in bw3.com, it would take all of 30 seconds to find the "contact us" button, type two sentences and hit submit.
30 seconds to do that is like 45 more seconds than I would ever be willing to devote to something so ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.