AJ Green Leaves the Portal - Staying in Draft

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
You are right.

Although his recruitment was a bit strange because most just assumed he would go to UNI. But Virginia was a major player.
Did most assume that because his dad worked there? Or was he not at uni at the time?

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
He was, but he is more of a combo guard who can play PG.
He's just not a typical PG. (Or that's what I would call it).

Not a slasher type PG but the ball is going to be in his hands and he's going to be able to create a shot whenever he wants. Sure he could be a combo guard but you are a losing a lot of his value if you do that. IMO

• Disagree
Reactions: Cyclad

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
Did most assume that because his dad worked there? Or was he not at uni at the time?
His Dad was a long time coach there. I think it was just assumed by most people that he was going to stay home at play with his Dad. (Not that it was a certainty). I think Virginia tried hard and was the main scare for UNI fans.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I absolutely want Green, but if you're someone that wants to question him, I'd point to the 22/76 shooting in 5 career games vs power 6 opponents....

Absolutely Green is an outstanding player to potentially get at this point in the game. I would be thrilled if he committed. But it's totally fair to have questions about him. I have questions about his driving and finishing ability in the Big 12. But shooting always transfers and at the very least he's a massive upgrade and the most proven piece on the roster immediately if he commits.

• Agree
Reactions: WastedTalent

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I absolutely want Green, but if you're someone that wants to question him, I'd point to the 22/76 shooting in 5 career games vs power 6 opponents....
He was bad his freshman year against Iowa and his sophomore year against WVU. Guessing they schemed for him pretty well.

The other games he actually did pretty good in. 26 points against South Carolina and 20 points against Colorado both his sophomore year.

This past year he had 16 against Arkansas but it was inefficient. Again though, he had to do EVERYTHING lol.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: WastedTalent

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
You've either quoted the wrong post, or are having egregious comprehension issues. Which is it?

You complain about the competition AJ Green has faced. And try to use that as a justification for him not being a great player. And therefore not take?

I am merely asking you for a realistic list of players in the Portal who you think should be pursued by Iowa State. What do you think of Williams and Ward?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
You complain about the competition AJ Green has faced. And try to use that as a justification for him not being a great player. And therefore not take?

I am merely asking you for a realistic list of players in the Portal who you think should be pursued by Iowa State. What do you think of Williams and Ward?
Okay, so comprehension.

Reread, and I am confident you'll see your strawman.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
His talent around him would be a little better at Iowa State don't you think? It's easy for Power 6 teams to key on 1 guy at a mid major if he doesn't have alot of offensive help.
We even saw that firsthand with Brockington late last year. Teams just schemed him mostly out of the offense and forced us to find other options.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
We even saw that firsthand with Brockington late last year. Teams just schemed him mostly out of the offense and forced us to find other options.
Getting AJ is great.
Do we have more options around him than we had with IB? fingers crossed we add BVP and another shooter/scorer imo. I'm hopeful one of the freshman surprises. King 2nd semester helps.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Getting AJ is great.
Do we have more options around him than we had with IB? fingers crossed we add BVP and another shooter/scorer imo. I'm hopeful one of the freshman surprises. King 2nd semester helps.

Who are the players on your Portal List that we have a reasonable shot at getting that would improve our team?