AJ Green Leaves the Portal - Staying in Draft

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Part of the problem with Two Way deals is you better make darn sure and be 100% confident that Two Way deal is gonna come your way on Draft day. A team can tell a player they will offer a Two Way deal then come draft day things can get crazy and priorities change etc..

It is one thing if you are right in fringe 2nd rd...Then you can prob roll the dice...But AJG is nowhere near being drafted this year it seems.

Either way hope things work out for the best for all parties..

• Winner
Reactions: Acylum

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So did we win here yet?
charlie-sheen-winning.gif

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
And if he goes that route, good for him.
Oh absolutely. But as other's have noted going into the draft even being "guaranteed" a 2-way deal is risky. If you don't end up getting one you're SOL.

From what I was told last week, teams are interested in him but there's been no guarantees / hand shake deals made. I was also told that Duke was not much of an option for AJ but he wanted to do his due diligence and wanted to see everything there. That doesn't mean he was never going there, it just means Iowa State was a very heavy front runner.

So because Iowa State has really been the main option, he hasn't rushed anything at all as far as the NBA decision goes and that's why his decision to remove his name from the draft has taken so long. That is also why we haven't heard anything about us going after other guys because we are indeed that confident he's going to be a Cyclone.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Oh absolutely. But as other's have noted going into the draft even being "guaranteed" a 2-way deal is risky. If you don't end up getting one you're SOL.

From what I was told last week, teams are interested in him but there's been no guarantees / hand shake deals made. I was also told that Duke was not much of an option for AJ but he wanted to do his due diligence and wanted to see everything there. That doesn't mean he was never going there, it just means Iowa State was a very heavy front runner.

So because Iowa State has really been the main option, he hasn't rushed anything at all as far as the NBA decision goes and that's why his decision to remove his name from the draft has taken so long. That is also why we haven't heard anything about us going after other guys because we are indeed that confident he's going to be a Cyclone.

Sounds to me like he's got a good head on his shoulders.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Is there a particular date/time -- like midnight tonight, for instance -- where AJ has to withdraw his name from the NBA draft to retain his college eligibility for the next season?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I think he is who he is to the NBA at this point.
Not necessarily. The whole point of getting the feedback from scouts is to improve on areas where they see his game struggling at the next level.
We'll see if he can answer those questions specifically paying against B12 competition (opposed to MVC) and producing but there can be a lot gained if he does translate his production from UNI to a year at ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride