AIB to become University of Iowa - Des Moines

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I have kind of lost track where this mess is especially since I don't think it has all been ironed out yet. However, if the BOR lets Iowa count these students at an alleged Regents Regional Center for their funding formula, I hope every single one of them transfers out of that place. Those students have been royally screwed by all involved. Seems like the mission of the BOR should include an appropriate education for all students in the state, whether they count for Sally Mason or not.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I hate to post a Register link but there is good info in here. They claim it is going to pay for itself and not affect the state budget. Then claimed it would cost the same as the U of I to attend. Yet the U of I is always needed more state money to run. Something doesn't add up.

When asked what effect the deal between the Iowa City-based public university and the Des Moines-based not-for-profit college might have on the state budget, Mason said the new center would be operated in a way that pays for itself.
"We anticipate zero impact on the state budget," Mason said.

Mason said the tuition at UI is likely to cost a little less than the tuition that AIB students are charged right now.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ersity-iowa-aib-lawmakers-questions/23153349/

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
I hate to post a Register link but there is good info in here. They claim it is going to pay for itself and not affect the state budget. Then claimed it would cost the same as the U of I to attend. Yet the U of I is always needed more state money to run. Something doesn't add up.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ersity-iowa-aib-lawmakers-questions/23153349/

At this point, I think Mason is just saying what people to hear so this willl get approved. She changed her story again. When asked about funding at the original press conference:

Is the merger part of UI's recent efforts to increase its enrollment?
"This is definitely a piece of that," Mason said during the news conference.

In a few years, the new U of I President will ask for additional funding because they didn't realize conditions of the facilities they were getting.

A few years after that, the name will be change to U of I- Des Moines Campus because U of I is managing it.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/education/2015/01/26/aib-ui-gift-faq/22385153/

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
At this point, I think Mason is just saying what people to hear so this willl get approved. She changed her story again. When asked about funding at the original press conference:

In a few years, the new U of I President will ask for additional funding because they didn't realize conditions of the facilities they were getting.

A few years after that, the name will be change to U of I- Des Moines Campus because U of I is managing it.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/education/2015/01/26/aib-ui-gift-faq/22385153/

Yeah, this definitely has that feel. Mason wants it done before she leaves because she cannot not be held accountable later for statements made to make it happen. Rastetter and Mason have handled this in a way that pretty much ensures the Legislature will need to get involved. Drive past AIB and you know there will need to be a ton of taxpayer money flowing through there just to make it viable.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
...and now the transfer advisors meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled. Nothing, literally nothing, has gone according to plan and this thing has been going on for only approximently 2 weeks. Comedy of errors.

Today, we learned of a request from the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) that University of Iowa representatives postpone tomorrow’s meeting with AIB students. The HLC accredits degree-granting post-secondary educational institutions in Iowa and has specific guidelines for handling the closure of a college. AIB must take special care to follow those guidelines.

https://www.aib.edu/aib-ui-transiti...ng-thursday's-meeting-with-ui-representatives

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Did nobody do any of the necessary legwork on this? It looks more haphazard every day.
I would think that talking accreditation would be pretty high on the agenda of things that needed to be taken care of early on.

Kind of makes you wonder what the quality of the people that we have running these huge organizations really is.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Did nobody do any of the necessary legwork on this? It looks more haphazard every day.
I would think that talking accreditation would be pretty high on the agenda of things that needed to be taken care of early on.
When you try to rush things through to avoid the checkers, stuff like this happens.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I feel sorry for the current staff, students, athletes and incoming students at AIB. This is not what they signed up for at all.

I think it is just sad that apparently being no. 2 in enrollment in the state for the last couple of years bothered Iowa so much that they had to make a move like this. The arrogance involved in this whole move is just amazing. I wish the BOR would not approve it, but I doubt that is a possibility.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
So are they closing it because of reductions in state support or because it lost 1.2 million? If they would have received more money from the state would they have kept it open so that it could lose more money?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So are they closing it because of reductions in state support or because it lost 1.2 million? If they would have received more money from the state would they have kept it open so that it could lose more money?

A lot of that amount is startup costs, i would imagine.

But yes, its not like the teaching facilities are usually the revenue-raisers of any university, and the continual funding cuts year after year after year are bad for Iowans.

Showtimeljs

Jul 2, 2015
Huxley
They are closing because they are closing as many "non-core mission" centers as possible to make a big stink out of the budget cuts...and it looks like their plan is working. (we are at least readying about it) I personally would like to stop these budget cuts before we reach the floor at which the Universities start making meaningful cuts...Like say, my job...

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Not necessarily per Uof I Academic Director. . Bolded last line for emphasis...

"The AIB gift was a very generous gift," said Tom Rice, the Academic Director of both the University of Iowa John and Mary Pappajohn Education Center and the Iowa Center for Higher Education. "But, when we got onto that property and started to operate it, it became increasingly clear that it was just more space, a bigger campus than we needed to meet our education needs."

Rice says the decision to close and sell the campus is a win-win for the University and its students.

"By selling that property, we can cut back on our operating costs and that's money that can be used for our students," said Rice. "But more importantly, the terms of the gift held that when we, or if we, sell the campus, the proceeds go for scholarships for central Iowa students who are attending the University of Iowa, so students win there as well."

Rice says the former AIB campus was never really a good fit for UI.
https://whotv.com/2018/07/11/academic-d ... -students/

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron