"Aggies to Secede" - Blogpost

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
The idea of A&M and Texas eloping to the Big 10 with the Longhorn Network in tow is just ********.

This whole controversy is about the LHN. What does A&M have to gain by sticking with Texas and shifting leagues? If they're going to stay with Texas, they might as well stay put.

This **** is officially starting to jump the shark, which suggests to me that nothing is going to happen.

Good points. A&M to the SEC is only happening because the Aggies don't like the LHN. Moving to a new league where they still must compete against the LHN doesn't make sense.

Texas just needs to ditch the entire damn network and the status quo of conferences can continue...........and thrive.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Good points. A&M to the SEC is only happening because the Aggies don't like the LHN. Moving to a new league where they still must compete against the LHN doesn't make sense.

Texas just needs to ditch the entire damn network and the status quo of conferences can continue...........and thrive.

The thing is, the only way A&M can really rid themselves of the LHN is to move College Station to Florida.

As long as they're in the same state as Texas (which they'll always ******* be obviously) they will always compete against the LHN and Texas. Changing conferences doesn't really solve anything.

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
The thing is, the only way A&M can really rid themselves of the LHN is to move College Station to Florida.

As long as they're in the same state as Texas (which they'll always ******* be obviously) they will always compete against the LHN and Texas. Changing conferences doesn't really solve anything.

Probably don't care if they aren't competing against the Horns for conference titles. Yes, they are still recruiting against UT, but as a member of the SEC they'll only care about out recruiting those schools for the most part I would think.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Probably don't care if they aren't competing against the Horns for conference titles. Yes, they are still recruiting against UT, but as a member of the SEC they'll only care about out recruiting those schools for the most part I would think.

But they will still always recruit Texas, and in the process of recruiting that state, they will always be up against the Longhorns.

Therefore, any advantage that Texas has will still apply no matter what conference they are in.

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
But they will still always recruit Texas, and in the process of recruiting that state, they will always be up against the Longhorns.

Therefore, any advantage that Texas has will still apply no matter what conference they are in.

I hear what you're saying, but if the UT-A&M series were to discontinue, or if they are just playing a non conference game with nothing tangible on the line, then the impact of recruiting against the Longhorns is much less IMO.

Boomer

Jun 7, 2010
Ags are hitching their wagons to the appeal of playing in the SEC vs the appeal of a 24hr network

OU would like to be in Pac for pretty much the same reasons ( Cali pipelines)

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
Ags are hitching their wagons to the appeal of playing in the SEC vs the appeal of a 24hr network

OU would like to be in Pac for pretty much the same reasons ( Cali pipelines)

What are Sooner fans thinking about all of this? OU has been awfully quiet about this. I've read of rumors of OU/OSU/TxTech to the Pac-12 if A&M goes to the SEC.

Last edited:

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
Here is the thread that was the source of what I just posted above:

WildcatReport.com - Message Boards

There is exactly a 0.0001% chance this happens. I'd never say never on anything, but this is about as unlikely as it gets.

Allow Texas to keep the LHN? Are you kidding me? No way. That just screams "Instability". If the Big Ten let Texas keep that, OSU/UM/PSU would want the same deal. I don't see any way that the Big Ten would allow that to happen.

Even more unlikely, I doubt that TAMU has ANY interest of joining the Big Ten. They want the SEC. Bad. No way they end up anywhere else.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Twitter post this morning from Chip Brown:

Big 12 administrator just told me the conference can survive with 9 teams through 2015-16 (when ABC/ESPN TV contract is up)

Obviously it can. Our TV deals are drawn up for 10 teams, and they'll pay out the same even if we have 9 which means, wait for it, MORE MONEY FOR US.

If we keep 9 in the mean time, then expand right before the new deal is up, it could be a very good thing.

This of course takes an actual commitment from the rest of the league, but I don't think there are any whiners after A&M.

C

CyBer

I think the commish should make a better statement about all of this than he has.

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
I honestly think the greatest thing would be if aTm leaves and the remaining 9 work out an additional deal that will include not only an additional 1/10 split of the money but also includes the substantial buyout from aTm leaving. If the other 9 can get along with only a few hiccups and survive until 2015 to then add in 1-3 teams to go along with a new TV deal the conference would continue to be 'in the money' and likely very stable...

The way this is a legitimate option is with help from the Texas legislation; the only way they let aTm go is if they can be sure that Baylor/Tech can stay tied together in an AQ conference.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Twitter post this morning from Chip Brown:

Big 12 administrator just told me the conference can survive with 9 teams through 2015-16 (when ABC/ESPN TV contract is up)

Of course it can - the Big East has kept AQ status with only 8 teams for the past, what 5-6 years? I don't see the Big 12 folding if just A&M leaves.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Of course it can - the Big East has kept AQ status with only 8 teams for the past, what 5-6 years? I don't see the Big 12 folding if just A&M leaves.

OU holds the key; will they jump to the Pac if things go pear-shaped?

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
This of course takes an actual commitment from the rest of the league, but I don't think there are any whiners after A&M.

You're obviously forgetting about your neighbors directly to the south.

Of course, the primary difference between A&M/Mizzou being that A&M has options...as of now, it doesn't appear that Mizzou has any....but they'll actively continue to try and ditch the Big 12, especially now that Aggie has apparently found a way out.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Obviously it can. Our TV deals are drawn up for 10 teams, and they'll pay out the same even if we have 9 which means, wait for it, MORE MONEY FOR US.

If we keep 9 in the mean time, then expand right before the new deal is up, it could be a very good thing.

Are you kidding me? Mizzou has been begging to get out of this conference. We need to do everything we can to keep A&M. If they go it could be the beginning of the end. I guess the beginning actually happened when CU & NU left.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron