"Aggies to Secede" - Blogpost

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
OU holds the key; will they jump to the Pac if things go pear-shaped?

I guess it needs to be determined what the minimum number of conference members constitutes an AQ conference. How short are our collective memories to forget that this exact same conference changing scenario happened to the Big East in 2004? Miami and V. Tech left to join the ACC and Temple was kicked and went independent for a year before joining the MAC (A-10 for basketball) in 2004, and then B.C. left for the ACC in 2005. The Big East was left with 5 football programs in the conference. They responded by inviting South Florida, Cincinatti, Louisville, DePaul, and Marquette. South Florida, Cincy and Louisville made them an 8-team football conference, while Marquette and DePaul solidified their 16-team basketball conference.

Wouldn't it behoove the forgotten 5 to stick with Texas, and maybe convince those schools on the fence (OK State & Tech) to stay put or else extend invites to 2 other programs to make an 8-team conference?

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
You're obviously forgetting about your neighbors directly to the south.

Of course, the primary difference between A&M/Mizzou being that A&M has options...as of now, it doesn't appear that Mizzou has any....but they'll actively continue to try and ditch the Big 12, especially now that Aggie has apparently found a way out.

Mizzou will follow the money. The money will be massive with A&M out. At least in the short term.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
A&M would be stupid to try and leave. First of all they face a penalty for leaving early, second they already owe the big 12 money because they borrowed some when they were in the red, third the Texas legislature still has to approve of any move they make, fourth they are in no better position in the SEC. It is really ridiculous how the people running A&M are acting like children in this situation just because they refuse to face the reality that they are not Texas and never will be.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
Mizzou will follow the money. The money will be massive with A&M out. At least in the short term.

I agree...but you said there "weren't any whiners left after A&M" - and that quite obviously isn't the case.

Mizzou has a strong dislike for its membership in the Big 12 - they've been very vocal about that. I doubt they're all of a sudden going to be super happy to be in the Texas Fiefdom simply because they are getting paid better.

Will the Texas money keep them there? Probably. Will they be happy about it? Probably not. I see their whining continuing regardless of what they make.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
A&M would be stupid to try and leave. First of all they face a penalty for leaving early, second they already owe the big 12 money because they borrowed some when they were in the red, third the Texas legislature still has to approve of any move they make, fourth they are in no better position in the SEC. It is really ridiculous how the people running A&M are acting like children in this situation just because they refuse to face the reality that they are not Texas and never will be.

I've always thought the money doesn't pencil out too, A&M has been in some financial holes as of late. Also didn't A&M get a big chunk of the CU and NU exit fees. I wonder if a majority of that would need to be paid back if they left.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

They didn't borrow from the Big12 when in the red. They borrowed from the University's general fund. (Internal loan)

Texas Legislature does not have to approve anything. Each Texas school has their own BOR to make decisions. The Legislature are out of session until Jan 2013 and would require Rick Perry calling a special session for them to even try to do anything. As long as Baylor and Tech feel safe nothing will happen from the Legislature.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I agree...but you said there "weren't any whiners left after A&M" - and that quite obviously isn't the case.

Mizzou has a strong dislike for its membership in the Big 12 - they've been very vocal about that. I doubt they're all of a sudden going to be super happy to be in the Texas Fiefdom simply because they are getting paid better.

Will the Texas money keep them there? Probably. Will they be happy about it? Probably not. I see their whining continuing regardless of what they make.

Actually, I think their admins are. They've kept their mouth shut since last summer.

Right now, the only school (admins here, not fans/coaches) that has much of an issue is Aggie.

Sammy11

Jun 11, 2010
DFW
They didn't borrow from the Big12 when in the red. They borrowed from the University's general fund. (Internal loan)

Texas Legislature does not have to approve anything. Each Texas school has their own BOR to make decisions. The Legislature are out of session until Jan 2013 and would require Rick Perry calling a special session for them to even try to do anything. As long as Baylor and Tech feel safe nothing will happen from the Legislature.

Yes because Baylor feels so safe in all this... :skeptical:

Also the Legislators will have a say, session or no session. It's not like they hibernate and don't communicate.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Yes because Baylor feels so safe in all this... :skeptical:

Also the Legislators will have a say, session or no session. It's not like they hibernate and don't communicate.

I'm certain Baylor doesn't feel safe but Tech seems to be working with the Pac-12. If Tech and Baylor don't buddy up then Baylor loses a lot of power unfortunately for them.

Do you think Gov. Good Hair would call a special session when he is working toward a presidential run? In this political/economic climate I doubt he would as it would seem wasteful to call a special session of "a stupid football fight". Just my opinion.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006

If A&M says they are doings this. The legislature will have a session. Let's not forget, all of this work happens over months not days and weeks.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
If A&M says they are doings this. The legislature will have a session. Let's not forget, all of this work happens over months not days and weeks.

Rick Perry, a former Aggie Yell Leader, and possible presidential candidate would have to call the special session. I don't see it happening. See above.