Advice - getting off jury duty

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I figured it's probably mandated by law to let them attend. You get a per diem for jury duty, right? I'm thinking more along the lines of pay... I suppose if you don't have PTO, you'd most likely have to just take unpaid leave.

some employers have jury duty benefits available.

For example, where I work, we are exempt from working, and are still paid our regular salary/wage for up to the duration of the trial.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I figured it's probably mandated by law to let them attend. You get a per diem for jury duty, right? I'm thinking more along the lines of pay... I suppose if you don't have PTO, you'd most likely have to just take unpaid leave.

It depends on how the employer's policy handles jury duty. Sometimes you continue to get paid, but have to turn the per diem/jury pay to your employer.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
I was selected once. Drunk driving case. I'm pretty sure when I told them i was a member of SADD during the voir dire that was my ticket home.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I've been called in several times and not seated each time as follows:
1. Wore a conservative suit and tie,
2. Paid rapt attention to the early explanations and information,
3. When called, leapt up and strode quickly and firmly to my seat,
4. Answered all questions loudly, firmly, and clear with appropriate "sir" or "maam",
5. Was sure to mention that I was a manager of people, and
6. Stared down the defense or plaintiff's attorney as appropriate.

I've been removed honorably each time.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
well, when the jury selection is supposed to take place that day, and very few people show up, it's probably a lot more effective/cheaper to go send a cop to round people up at the post office, than it is to send someone to the summoned residents houses. Especially in the middle of the day. how likely are they to be home? It's not like those folks got off scott free, though. My brother said the judge was pretty mad about the situation, and told the jury pool that those that skipped would be dealt with.

So, is there a fine or something? Anybody know?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

If they're held in contempt, the penalty is somewhat up to the judge, I believe. I don't know if you can be held in contempt for skipping jury duty, though. I would guess that you could face a fine or even a small amount of jail time.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I got a notice to serve on a jury when I was 16 years old! My mom went down there and said my son got this notice and he can't serve, he's only 16. The woman, in typical government form, scoffed at her and said,"He's going to have to come here himself during regular business hours and request to be excused."

My mom said,"He's a minor and he's in school!"

The lady scoffed again and said,"I'm going to excuse him this time, but if he's called again he'll have to appear."

I'm now 40 years old and have never again been called.

Way to have your mom fights your battles for you.

Dude, I was actually in school and she worked right next to the courthouse!

But, he's a man, now, so he can fight his own battles.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
If they're held in contempt, the penalty is somewhat up to the judge, I believe. I don't know if you can be held in contempt for skipping jury duty, though. I would guess that you could face a fine or even a small amount of jail time.

Yeah, but like an earlier poster said, how can they prove you ever got the jury duty notice? Do they send it certified?

XLK9

Dec 31, 2009
Ames
As we moved around the country, I was called for jury duty three times in three different states - I was home by noon or shortly thereafter all three times.

1) I was in the military or ex-military for all three - "I believe in discipline."

2) Remember this sentence, practice it in front of the mirror if you have to so you can say it with sincerity and without cracking a smile:

"The cops wouldn't have arrested him if he wasn't guilty.":cool:

Good luck.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, but like an earlier poster said, how can they prove you ever got the jury duty notice? Do they send it certified?

You can argue that in front of the judge if he decides to issue some form of punishment. My guess is that you can get by with it exactly once.

A little research indicates that a lot of judges will issue fines to those who skip, but waive them if the person agrees to participate when the next jury selection comes up.

Last edited:

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
You can argue that in front of the judge if he decides to issue some form of punishment. My guess is that you can get by with it exactly once.

Yeah, that sounds about how I think it would go. Personally, I wouldn't mind doing jury duty at all.

If you get randomly selected when you have prior engagements like the OP, more than once, your luck is complete ****!

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Stating you have presentation at work won't get you out. When I served, a woman tried this and the judge told her no way. The only person he let out was the potential juror who had a plane tickets purchased for a business trip. The judge on the case when I served shot down pretty much every excuse given. The women who tried using the "I don't have anyone to watch my kids" excuse were the first ones who were told that excuse wouldn't cut it.

You would be better off to show up the first day and see what happens. Most places you have to call on Friday before showing up on Monday to see if there are any trials starting. Also, depending on the number of cases, they may only need jurors for a few trials.

HARMCYN

Jan 20, 2012
Cambridge, IA
1. fall asleep
2. They'll ask you questions about "can you be objective about blah blah blah" just say no or have a strong stance on something related to the case.

My Father was called to be on two different homicide/manslaughter cases, when asked what their punishment should be he said "Just kill 'em"..needless to say he didn't get a call back, a little crude but it works

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
some employers have jury duty benefits available.

For example, where I work, we are exempt from working, and are still paid our regular salary/wage for up to the duration of the trial.

Us too, we just have to give the company our jury duty earnings, and they pay us our regular salary.

Zyklon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2011
Ames
My Father was called to be on two different homicide/manslaughter cases, when asked what their punishment should be he said "Just kill 'em"..needless to say he didn't get a call back, a little crude but it works

I'm calling bs on that one

denmyster

Apr 24, 2009
Well, I was also called for jury duty for May and actually forgot to call in. My number was drawn to come in and I missed it. I contacted the Clerk of Court to apologize. She said the judge had enough jurors so he decided not to file contempt of court charges to those who didn't show. She said usually it is a big fine and you are put up on a list for another one soon. Needless to say, I'm calling in regularly since. Can't wait for May to get over. There are occasions where you can ask for a one time deferment, but I think it has to be done with extensive documentation.