Advice - getting off jury duty

Carr50010

Apr 4, 2010
Ames
First of all, i don't pay attention to my mail very often (since all bills come via email now a days), i admit my fault. However my wife was going through an old pile of mail and noticed i am up for Jury Duty starting monday - i called to see if i could get it defered, but they were less than friendly about it. So i am supposed to report on monday, but the issue is i am supposed to be doing a presentation at a conference on wednesday - that i can't miss.

Never done the jury duty thing, but i am assuming that i can answer questions on monday that will get me removed - any suggestions of things i should do or avoid to get kicked off? Typically i wouldn't mind doing this, but this is just a bad week for me.

Mentioning that Cops are control freaks, and would beat you over the head as needed. Being certain you could not trust what a policemans says, and making fun of and other respectable profession's like Firefighters never hurts.:jimlad:

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I've heard being an engineer (or other hard-science person) can be a quick ticket out. I guess lawyers don't like to have to argue in front of critical thinkers...

I actually prefer intelligent jurors as they will analyze the.case vs deciding on emotion. Prosecutors tend to kick off educated jurors as they want to have them decide based on fearz anger. The more jurors discuss, the better for my client as.that means reasonable doubt.

C

CyBer

Where is Clones21, he should know the ins and outs of the judicial system. I think I shall wait for his response before making any judgements (pun intended).

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Luckily I have never been called for jury duty yet but I had a friend try to get out of it by answering some question about guilt by saying something along the lines of that he believed since they person in question was on trial they were guilty otherwise they wouldn't be there charged with the crime. He still got picked for the jury and turned out it was an open and shut case, the defendant was obviously guilty so him trying to dodge making the jury with an answer like that didn't matter.

My wife served on a jury last year and it lasted over 2 days for what was basically an open and shut case too where some idiot was suing for being hit while riding on a bike and all the evidence pointed to the biker being at fault because he failed to even attempt to stop while crossing an intersection plus he had no lights on his bike at night and even admitted to having a few beers before he rode home. Unless you are up for grand jury where the cases are more serious nature chances are even trying to answer jury questions with terrible answers is still no guarantee you won't get picked anyways. I'm sure the lawyers have heard all the lame answers over the years and can tell when someone is just saying it trying to get out of jury duty. Your only sure way of getting out is having some kind of relation or affiliation with something regarding the case like you or someone you are related to works for a certain company or had been involved with a similar court case in the past so the conflict of interest or bias is too obvious to overlook.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
First of all, i don't pay attention to my mail very often (since all bills come via email now a days), i admit my fault. However my wife was going through an old pile of mail and noticed i am up for Jury Duty starting monday - i called to see if i could get it defered, but they were less than friendly about it. So i am supposed to report on monday, but the issue is i am supposed to be doing a presentation at a conference on wednesday - that i can't miss.

Never done the jury duty thing, but i am assuming that i can answer questions on monday that will get me removed - any suggestions of things i should do or avoid to get kicked off? Typically i wouldn't mind doing this, but this is just a bad week for me.

i applaud you for attempting to avoid jury duty. There are so many goofy trolls who crave some validation of being a jury member. Especially in the celebrity world when a star gets in trouble.

Same type of trolls who think getting on "YouTube" makes you a 'success' in life.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
i applaud you for attempting to avoid jury duty. There are so many goofy trolls who crave some validation of being a jury member. Especially in the celebrity world when a star gets in trouble.

Same type of trolls who think getting on "YouTube" makes you a 'success' in life.
That's quite a correlation you've drawn there, people on juries are really wanna be youtubers, who knew.

:spinny:

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I got a notice to serve on a jury when I was 16 years old! My mom went down there and said my son got this notice and he can't serve, he's only 16. The woman, in typical government form, scoffed at her and said,"He's going to have to come here himself during regular business hours and request to be excused."

My mom said,"He's a minor and he's in school!"

The lady scoffed again and said,"I'm going to excuse him this time, but if he's called again he'll have to appear."

I'm now 40 years old and have never again been called.

Way to have your mom fights your battles for you.

Dude, I was actually in school and she worked right next to the courthouse!

But, he's a man, now, so he can fight his own battles.

Yeah man. I totally don't even live in my mom's basement anymore.

I was highlighting this comment. Once you turn 40, you are a man per Mike Gundy, so you are now able to fight your own battles.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Engineers are great jurors to have in cases where your opponent is appealing to emotion, but the facts of the case are not in their favor. They will ignore, and possibly be offended by the emotional appeal.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Yeah, people who did their duty during the draft rather than dodging it where trolls craving validation, too. :skeptical:

Some look at jury duty as a pain in the ***, but a civic duty. If I ever have a jury deciding my fate I hope I don't have a jury made up entirely of those too stupid to dodge jury duty. Hopefully there are some who are willing to do their part and have some critical thinking skills.

It's funny that you call others trolls when you are obviously trolling yourself.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
I was talking to my mother today and she notified me that I had a letter requesting me for jury duty. I thought it was interesting because I have not claimed my mother's house as my residence since high school which was 8 years ago. The real kicker is that the county requesting me isn't even the county my mother lives in and I have never lived in the county before. My mother lives right next to it though. The letter said I was suppose to respond in writing and if I was no longer a resident I was suppose to respond also. I know I can get out of it but I want to know how I can get reimbursed for my stamp to put on the letter. I realize they can save a lot of money but I don't understand why they didn't put a reply envelope with them.I don't know if I can keep myself composed if I have to call anyone and have to talk about their error because I would either be laughing or angry.