Advice for traveling to Norman on 10/7

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Alright fanatics, a group of four of us have decided that we're going to head down to Norman for the Oklahoma game on October 7th.

Just checking to see if anyone has been there and has any advice on where to get tickets (where visitor section is, can we get tickets through ISU, etc.).

Also would appreciate some advice on good bars, things to see, places to eat, etc.

Go Cyclones!

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
We like Hideaway Pizza in Campus Corner and stay at the Embassy Suites. That is usually(always) the team hotel. There is a sick laser tag/bowling joint just north of town, but can be overrun by kids early. Norman is kind of a dump, but can be fun for a game.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
The last time I was in Norman was 1991. At the time, I was 12 years old and my family (parents are Iowa transplants and ISU alums) and I lived in Tulsa. It was my first and only game at Memorial Stadium. ISU won, which I guess was a big deal, but didn't realize at the time. Don't remember much about the game or the score but we went to Mazzio's Pizza after the game. Great pizza.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
The last time I was in Norman was 1991. At the time, I was 12 years old and my family (parents are Iowa transplants and ISU alums) and I lived in Tulsa. It was my first and only game at Memorial Stadium. ISU won, which I guess was a big deal, but didn't realize at the time. Don't remember much about the game or the score but we went to Mazzio's Pizza after the game. Great pizza.

That was 1990. Big deal because that is the last time ISU beat OU (and one of the few times in history its happened). Game featured a great call of the last drive by Pete Taylor...

PlanoClone

Mar 27, 2009
Ankeny, IA
That was 1990. Big deal because that is the last time ISU beat OU (and one of the few times in history its happened). Game featured a great call of the last drive by Pete Taylor...

My roommate and I drove up from Dallas for this game. Afterwards, we were able to sneak by security and run onto the field and celebrate with the players. I recall Blaise Bryant being out most, if not all, of this game which made the win even more improbable.

We went to O'Connells, not sure if it's even still there but it was fun back in 1990--and I still have the t-shirt I bought from there as well as my ticket stub.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines

I had to google it for the year and looks like I was misinformed, but ya, I know it was the last time they beat OU. I was also at the 1989 game at Stillwater with my Dad.

Basically, the Clones are 2-0 in games that I witness in person in the state of Oklahoma. So the OP needs to fund me a ticket, transport, and lodging if they want their trip to be a lot more fun. :D

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Alright fanatics, a group of four of us have decided that we're going to head down to Norman for the Oklahoma game on October 7th.

Just checking to see if anyone has been there and has any advice on where to get tickets (where visitor section is, can we get tickets through ISU, etc.).

Also would appreciate some advice on good bars, things to see, places to eat, etc.

Go Cyclones!

My best advice: Don't.

PlanoClone

Mar 27, 2009
Ankeny, IA

I don't want to start a Walden debate but why in the hell didn't we go for 2 at the end to go up by 3? Turns out it didn't matter but what the hell!

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN

Matt Rouse, recovered the fumble on the first play of the video, was one of my CE professors. Never let on that he played for the Cyclones until another teacher let it slip.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I don't want to start a Walden debate but why in the hell didn't we go for 2 at the end to go up by 3? Turns out it didn't matter but what the hell!

That is the most Jim Walden-ist thing that Jim Walden ever did probably. The only thing I can think of is that if ISU turns it over there and OU returns it then they take the lead. Still not terribly bright with the chance you lose with a field goal (although as the video showed OU kicker was struggling).

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
That is the most Jim Walden-ist thing that Jim Walden ever did probably. The only thing I can think of is that if ISU turns it over there and OU returns it then they take the lead. Still not terribly bright with the chance you lose with a field goal (although as the video showed OU kicker was struggling).

This. Probably concerned about an interception or fumble being returned for 2 pts.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron