Adultery in my workplace...

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Maybe it'll blow over after you realize the boss is just using the D.E.N.N.I.S. system and has no plans for a long term relationship.
In the meantime Mantis, er Spokane, you should buy some magnum condoms.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
Just and FYI it is illegal for a company or boss to retalliate. It would however be up to you to PROVE any disciplinary actions were a result of relalliation and not something you "had coming"

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
My boss and my co-worker have had the very public appearance of a very private relationship for over a year now. I actually had to change cubes to get out of the line of fire as I got tired of all the cutesy sexual innuendo chat. Then last year, heard through the grapevine that the rumor was they WERE knocking boots. And to make it better, my co-workers husband sits about 40 feet away in another cube.

I did the "proper" thing last year and informed my boss of the affair rumors thinking he was just being a ******* flirting with my co-worker and he'd check himself for professional office behavior. Their shenanigans continued and got worse (as did the rumor mill) until earlier this year when I approached one of my corporate coaches about how I should approach the situation. That was when I found out my co-worker and my friend about 40 feet away were getting divorced.

So the company does an "investigation" and tells me that there was no "affair" to which I say "I don't care" since their antics have created an amazing rift and tension throughout our floor.

THEN my friend getting divorced tells me about pages and pages of sex texts between my boss and my co-worker which the company does NOT know about. I've already been told by an executive to let it go even though my boss and my coworker are still both in my department.

Other than the tricky legal ramifications of dropping the sexts on my VPs desk, should I just be a good boy and toe the line and just pretend that nothing has happened even though everyone laughs at these guys, and the office environment is toxic?

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I won't provide any input on what you should or shouldn't do. My question would be - what decision can you live/work with for the next several years?

Also, my company just had it's mandatory "harassment training" and your company is making themselves very susceptible to legal action by not acting upon your "complaints." (complaint may not be the best word, but I couldn't think of a better one to use).

There was a real case that happened a few years ago where everyone in an office had a nickname for a colleague ("gay boy"). The guy who had the nick name didn't care about it at all, but a co-worker was bothered by it. When the co-worker told her superiors that she was uncomfortable with everyone calling her colleague "gay boy", she was told to "let it go" since the guy didn't mind being called that and it didn't directly affect her.

The lady sued her company for failure to respond to her requests and she won $3 Million in a lawsuit.

At a minimum, I would let your superiors know that they are legally on very thin ice and very susceptible to being sued (from you or others) if they don't take the appropriate action. Maybe that will get the issue resolved.

Good luck - you're in a really difficult situation, I hope it all turns out well for you.

New idea. Sue company for your trauma, win $3,000,000!

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Seriously though, the correct answer is just STFU and ignore them. It's none of your business and nothing positive for your career (isnt that all that really matters?) will come of you bringing attention to it. Besides, the only people who actually give a crap about co-workers sleeping with each other are usually the ones jealous it's not them.

Just sayin'

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
What is a corporate coach?

And I would collect the information you have and use it for that promotion you have coming your way. If I remember right, that job pays quite well and you have to work less than 40 hours per week, some of it used golfing with clients.

Remember, it's not what you know but who you know or what you know about them!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I have always found life easier to view co-workers as nothing more than co-workers. Ignore their drama, be civil, but certainly not friends. Life just seems easier when friends are friends and colleagues are colleagues. The sexual relationship in the office obviously hurts productivity by everyone. Moving away from it is a good idea since it bugs you, but ignore the children in the meantime.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Raise your hand if you've been in the workforce for more than 5 years and know of at least one instance of workplace adultery... it happens A LOT. Of course it's not right and they should keep that junk outside the workplace, but affairs in the workplace are not an unusual thing.

(No, I have never had an affair.)

Edit: I would like to see a poll of how many of you have had a workplace affair, though. :spinny:

I've hit about 4 years and over the past few months have seen what could be a workplace affair. I'm not sure it actually is one, but a lot of flirting going on. Makes me glad I don't work in that department.

Personally yeah if it's not directly impacting my daily work I'm not going to make any complaints. As it is, a lot of people try to avoid working in a small group situation with those two. In my opinion once it starts to impact the work of other employees or if it turns into favoritism is where the company should step in and tell them to tone it down at work.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I guess I can't quite figure out what you hope to achieve. The missing link here is how this has affected your work enviornment. Was your co-worker given a raise or promotion you don't feel was deserved? Does she get preferential treatment at work? Otherwise, is your concern here just that something is going on that you don't support morally?

Is your end game to have these people disciplined or fired? If so, what have you then accomplished?

Last edited:

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
3. ..., contributing to a hostile working environment?

Commiserate with the friend getting hosed, but not much else you can do.

This is the key ... if the friend, who is the soon-to-be-ex, feels like the work environment is hostile, he should have sought a remedy. That remedy very likely could have been the termination of employment for the manager-sexter. If the issue wasn't resolved, the friend-ex-husband has grounds for a lawsuit -- and likely a big judgement.

But to the OP, it's the ex-husband-co-worker and cheating-wife-co-worker who should be dealing with this.

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011
I have always found life easier to view co-workers as nothing more than co-workers. Ignore their drama, be civil, but certainly not friends. Life just seems easier when friends are friends and colleagues are colleagues. The sexual relationship in the office obviously hurts productivity by everyone. Moving away from it is a good idea since it bugs you, but ignore the children in the meantime.

That can be hard to do when you spend 40+ hours a week with them. You tend to be close to some of your coworkers at some point.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This sounds like a lifetime movie my wife would watch...

Lifetime's motto - Guys are #$%#*!&s

As far as the OP's situation, It sounds like you have probably become a stabilizing force in his office and sees yourself as such after so many years. I've been at my job for 16 years and can relate. Lotta people cheating. 75% of the people in my department are divorced, which is pretty ridiculous.

But as many have said, it's best to just control what you can control and let their disgressions go without further mention. Just document everything to death and have it handy in case you need to get a lawyer involved later on to protect your interests. I'm not a fan of frivolous lawsuits, but protecting your career (it's not a job, by your description) is far from frivolous.

If other co-workers of yours feel the same offense and undue tension in the office, bring it up as a group to HR if that would be a safer approach. If you are in a flatter company organizational-wise and the HR department is pretty much a joke (like mine) you're not gonna come out ahead by pushing the issue further.

If the moral implications are too much for you, however, go for it. I'm not ever going to tell someone not to do what they think is right. Just be prepared for the need for a career change realistically.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I won't provide any input on what you should or shouldn't do. My question would be - what decision can you live/work with for the next several years?

Also, my company just had it's mandatory "harassment training" and your company is making themselves very susceptible to legal action by not acting upon your "complaints." (complaint may not be the best word, but I couldn't think of a better one to use).

There was a real case that happened a few years ago where everyone in an office had a nickname for a colleague ("gay boy"). The guy who had the nick name didn't care about it at all, but a co-worker was bothered by it. When the co-worker told her superiors that she was uncomfortable with everyone calling her colleague "gay boy", she was told to "let it go" since the guy didn't mind being called that and it didn't directly affect her.

The lady sued her company for failure to respond to her requests and she won $3 Million in a lawsuit.

At a minimum, I would let your superiors know that they are legally on very thin ice and very susceptible to being sued (from you or others) if they don't take the appropriate action. Maybe that will get the issue resolved.

Good luck - you're in a really difficult situation, I hope it all turns out well for you.

So, by extension, I should be able to sue my co-workers for refusing to address me as T-Bone.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
I guess I can't quite figure out what you hope to achieve. The missing link here is how this has affected your work enviornment. Was your co-worker given a raise or promotion you don't feel was deserved? Does she get preferential treatment at work? Otherwise, is your concern here just that something is going on that you don't support morally?

Is your end game to have these people disciplined or fired? If so, what have you then accomplished?

I think it depends on the work environment (and what the OPs actual situation is) but just simply flirting with each other is enough to distract people and cause problems. Where I work, everyone pretty much stays at arm's length from each other. We might go have a few beers after work every now and again, but we keep our relationships professional. No one comes in physical contact with anyone else, other than a handshake every now and again. Even married couples who work together act the same way while on the clock.

So when you see two people flirting with each other, poking each other, hands on each other, hugging each other it's distracting. It stands out. People try to avoid them, don't want to be stuck in a meeting room or a car ride with them. I agree that it's not anyone's business who hooks up with who, but it still makes you feel a bit awkward when you see two married people flirt with each other like that. If they're two single people, again it's a lot less distracting.

Now if you work in a different environment where the employees are more like friends it might be different. If things like that go on all the time, then it's not going to be abnormal and it won't be a problem.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

If you're not sure how to do this....PM Snowcraig, he can give you tips on this, very experienced.

:pwink:

Reactions: AllBig12Drinker

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think it depends on the work environment (and what the OPs actual situation is) but just simply flirting with each other is enough to distract people and cause problems. Where I work, everyone pretty much stays at arm's length from each other. We might go have a few beers after work every now and again, but we keep our relationships professional. No one comes in physical contact with anyone else, other than a handshake every now and again. Even married couples who work together act the same way while on the clock.

So when you see two people flirting with each other, poking each other, hands on each other, hugging each other it's distracting. It stands out. People try to avoid them, don't want to be stuck in a meeting room or a car ride with them. I agree that it's not anyone's business who hooks up with who, but it still makes you feel a bit awkward when you see two married people flirt with each other like that. If they're two single people, again it's a lot less distracting.

Now if you work in a different environment where the employees are more like friends it might be different. If things like that go on all the time, then it's not going to be abnormal and it won't be a problem.

But people are distracted by a funny smelling co-worker. People are distracted by personal calls lady, or the constantly burning popcorn guy. I can't understand needing to take something that distracts you and make it in to some big issue with your superiors. The fact of the matter is when you work with a bunch of other people there will be some who do things you don't like. It's not worth trying to have them all fired.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron